Don't want to take medication

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with osteoporosis My t-score was --2.9. I was wondering if that is considered a really bad score. My Dr wants to put me on medication and I am reluctant . I ve read up on some of the meds and the side effects sound pretty horrific. I'm leaning toward not taking them and trying to improve naturally with vitamins and weight bearing exercise. Any thoughts?

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I do not consider -2.9 to be really bad. Mine is much worse.

However, it is just a number. Half of people with osteoporosis suffer broken bones. Interestingly, it is the same for people without osteoporosis.

The most important thing is obviously to avoid falls and maybe take no risks where possible.

Vitamin K2 would be a good supplement to add straight away. It is easy to take as it is a soft jelly like capsule.

A lack of Vitamin D 3 has been found to contribute to osteoporosis so check your levels theough blood tests.

Another good supplement is magnesium.

As far as foods are concerned the following is a list that helps to support bones: avocados, prunes, kiwi fruit, leafy greens, bone broth, skin of cucumbers, and a good balanced diet.

Stress can also affect our bones so try to minimise that.

Walking and other weight bearing exercise is recommended. However, avoid twisting and bending from the waist.

This is just a starting point for you. There is much help on here from others as well.

All the best.

• Posted

I I have taken all of these for over a year and has not made any difference for me. Developed a situation on my knee replacement (cyst) that now needs to be replaced. 😓

• Posted

I am new to the forum and have so many questions. You say -2.9 is not that bad, is -3.5 bad? I am so confused over the test and my doctor seemed to be only interested in my taking fosomax, which i refused for now. Going to go the supplement route first and see. Thanks for your input.
    • Posted

Just to clarify, the bigger the number after the minus sign, the greater the osteoporosis risk.  So your bone thinning is worse than kathleen's.  However, we are all different, different body builds, different genetics, so it's not really one size fits all.  The greatest risk for fracture isn't osteoporosis numbers, it's falling.  The things we can do to prevent that from happening include maintaining and improving muscle strength, and making sure we look after our ability to balance.  Saw an interesting test outlined today, and one of the tests is whether one can balance on one leg for ten seconds.  Other parts of the test include measuring grip strength, and the ability to squat, pick something up from the floor, and stand again.

So supplements plus appropriate exercise are, to my mind, the best and safest way to go.    

• Posted

Thank you Anhaga for your quick response. I'm on the exercise and supplement treatment as of last week.  Will continue to read old post to gather as much info as possible. So happy to have found this group😀

• Posted

It has less to do with advertisers than with promotion of products.  I know we can mention drugs ad infinitum, but non-traditional products, titles, etc, get censored.  I think it's just because it's the easiest way on this colossal forum for the moderation to be effective in avoiding crackpot ideas.  It is irritating sometimes, but I do understand why it works this way.  I got censored for called the pharmaceutical business by its insulting nickname.

• Posted

The "evil" empoticon turns into a frown.  That's disappointing.

• Posted

Anhaga, I'm always reassured when you talk of the greatest risk for fracture is falling, despite scan scores but I remain to be convinded. I worry about 'fragility fractures' and what may happen if I lift something too heavy, or without keeping my back straight or exercise too vigorously . . . 

I'm familiar with the balance test of standing on one leg. A recent study of OP patieints in our university consisted of grip strength, reaction time, and the balance test.( I managed one minute on this one!!). So not worried about balance really but the possiblity of fractures can freak me out!  J

• Posted

I was just saying I miss you and wondered where you are. So good to see you commenting again! 

I don't and can't exercise too vigorously so I don't have that concern.

I have more issues with herniated discs than I do with the osteoporosis.

So many people I come across have never found out if they even have osteoporosis and are content in their ignorance. I envy them.

I hope you keep visiting here as I missed you.

• Posted

My worst one is -4.3 and that is the lower spine. It is only a number so don't worry too much.

Many people I come across have never had a bone density test so they are happily oblivious of the state of their bones.

Just as many people who do not have osteoporosis break bones as those who do have osteoporosis.

I also have refused to take fosamax and have not regretted that decision.

To me that says it is not worth getting too anxious about. Just take no risks.

• Posted

Thank you for making me feel less anixous. I will do the supplements and see how it goes.

I like your logical thinkging!

• Posted

I broke my leg because I slipped on ice and my knee twisted sideways.  This was deemed a "fragility" fracture when I was being assessed for bone density after starting prednisone.  However when I had a chance to speak with a rheumatologist at a bones clinic a couple of months ago and described the break (tibial plateau) she said it was an unusual break and not likely a fragility fracture.  I have never been given my t-score for spine; the same rheumatologist said because I "don't need it" which I found very condescending.  

• Posted

My worst tscore is -4.3 lumbar region. I wonder if we put too much importance on numbers anyway!
    • Posted

It wouldn't really matter anyway because new people will always need the personal reply from you.  On the PMR forum our resident expert keeps a file of answers to common questions and copies and pastes probably several times a month.  Of course she also personalizes the answer.  I copy and paste my bones bibliography in messages to people fairly regularly, although I've pretty much given up on my bones biography.

• Posted

To clarify moderation (again) see the FAQs linked below. It is nothing to do with "upsetting advertisers" - they do not have a say in the running of the site. It is because posting about specific books and commercial sites is in itself advertising. If users try to "circumvent" or "Test the system" the likelihood is your account will be deactivated. As I repeatedly say if anyone has any issues with this then discuss it with me via PM. The forums are also not for using the PM service to promote supplements and books. If the information is genuine and not promotional then by all means post a discussion about it. If it is specifically in relation to the books/websites talked about before then it won't be allowed.

https://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/402742-why-has-my-post-been-sent-for-moderation-not-been

https://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

I'm sorry, mea culpa.  I didn't mean to enourage naughty behaviour.  But it is a bit tiresome to have to private message people when describing perfectly harmless treatments, accepted by the majority of health providers as helpful.  I quite agree with private messaging our reading lists!

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, no, not dead yet  - but thank you for your very kind words!  I connect pretty regularly with you all but haven't really got much to contribute. Have finished my Forteo course, am now on Actonel for apx. 5 years - with fingers crossed . . . Other than that, I walk most mornings  and do back-strengthening exercises twice a week (which I find SO boring!). 

Life is pretty good for me and our summer weather was hugely better than last year. I rid myself of some significant stress recently  (a small holiday cottage), which was a great relief as I found the maintenance a big burden. . . .

You seem to be doing well and are still in the 'will I, won't I ?' way of thinking re. taking any bone meds. Pros and cons on both sides, of course.  . .. ..  

Take care of yourself - and thanks again for the kind thoughts.   J   x

• Posted

It is important that people have different views and argue with knowledge and evidence.

I have more health issues than osteoporosis even in the back. Two herniated discs probably cause the most trouble and I have given up trying to fix them and now just make sure not to set them off causing me pain.

I am active mainly in the pool as other exercise is limited.

Good to hear from you. Just hoping for our other mate to pop in now. The one with two 'l's!

• Posted

Our mate with the two "Ls" is still around, I'm sure!!   

BTW I have other health issues also ie. polymyalgia  - which requires treatment with steroids, which in turn helped accelerate my bone thinning . . 

Keep well,  Thelma.

• Posted

Hi Alan,

My husband would like to know if there is any chance of his account ever being reinstated as it is about a year ago since it was trashed. I need him to do research for me on Vascular Dentia and Altzheimers.

Thankyou,

Pauline

• Posted

Once again you have made a comment that on several occassions, I have asked you to back up with, where you have found this imformation. Could you please enlighten us as to why you believe as many people break bones without OP as with this “thining bone condition” because everything I have read, disagrees?However, I keep an open mind and would love to see this evidence
    • Posted

That should have been Vasclar Dementia etc.  Just one of the symptoms.
    • Posted

Try again:

That should have been Vascular Dementia etc.  Just one of the symptoms.

Think I got it right this time!

• Posted

Pauline, I think you should private message the moderator.  This would be better, I think.  More likely your note will be seen and you can provide more details about who you are actually referring to.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.