Don't want to take medication

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with osteoporosis My t-score was --2.9. I was wondering if that is considered a really bad score. My Dr wants to put me on medication and I am reluctant . I ve read up on some of the meds and the side effects sound pretty horrific. I'm leaning toward not taking them and trying to improve naturally with vitamins and weight bearing exercise. Any thoughts?

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I can only give you my own experience. You didn't say how old you were. Before menopause I was right on the line of osteoporosis and now 7 years later I'm well into it. I also avoided medication actually concerned more about the stomach upset but certainly concerned about the side effects I had heard about. My research and consult with 3 different doctors led to my recent decision to definitely go on it. I do have osteoporosis (-3.4) and if one is on bisphosphonates under 5 years the chances of the horrible side effects are much much less. I did try vitamins minerals exercise and bone building but it did not have the effect that I needed. I posted elsewhere that I was reading recent research into use of melatonin which at 3 milligrams per day achieved half the effects of the Fosamax. I personally could not take melatonin as it seemed to reveryone up my immune system and I got canker sores. Good luck to you and whatever decision you make it will be there for you in the future if the osteoporosis is progressing more rapidly than you are comfortable with.

• Posted

I am wondering how long you tried the natural route for and what you actually included in your supplements and foods and exercise regime?

Vitamin K2 and vitamin D3 stand out to me followed by magnesium. There are others too.

Please detail what you did and for how long as it helps others on here when making choices.

• Posted

Others have given you good advice about possible supplements. Something else to think about - the numbers for "osteopenia" and osteoporosis were fairly randomly assigned some years ago by the WHO and have proven a boon for the marketers of OP drugs.  The major risk factor for fracture is falling.  To that end, maintaining and improving muscle strength and balance are more important than bone density.  Tai chi is supposed to be very good for both, and there are other appropriate exercises to try, especially walking and Nordic walking, but also including some kinds of yoga - make sure it's a program recognizing care needs to be taken of the spine.

There may be factors contributing to your "bone thinning" such as not being careful about your diet, lack of weightbearing exercise, even stress.  The underlying causes should be recognized and dealt with as much as possible before any OP drugs are even considered and you could tell your doctor that.  Bones change very slowly so they should be happy to take a little extra time to help you figure things out.  And no one can ever compel you to take anything you don't want.  There is more going on with the bone meds than just the bad side effects which are so underplayed, the whole marketing of them, the creation of osteopenia as a disease, etc, etc....

Good luck - you know you'll find loads of support here, no matter what your choice.

• Posted

Hi Kathryn  I suffered an osteoporatic wedge fracture of my lumber spine in March this year. After a bone density scan I was told I was very high risk of more fractures. I was given Alendronic Acid weekly pill to take, I was very reluctant and had some side effects. I have enquired about the annual infusion of Zoledronic acid which also has some bad side effects, so don't know what to do. I don't want to take anything but because I am high risk the doctor says I really need too.I don't know my t-score  

• Posted

You really need to kno your tscore. Demand to be told!

I won't take the drugs, none of them. 

Instead, I am trying to do natural things like vitamins and exercises.

Vitamin K 2 is a good one as it aims the calcium at the bones and has other benefits too. Vitamin D3 of course and most are taking this one now.

Magnesium and zinc help as well. There are foods to assist including avocados, prunes, leafy greens, bone broth and more. 

Look at other threads on this topic and do some research as well.

Weight bearing exercises and strengthening your core help.

High risk takes in many elements like if you smoke, your diet is inadequate, your tscore, your age, etc.

It is important to know your tscore to be properly informed. Avoid falls.

I am sorry about your wedge fracture. How did that happen? Are they blaming your osteoporosis or could it be from another cause?

• Posted

I've had a scan, but was only given the femur measurement by my asking with determination.  Told I didn't "need" the spine measurement.  This time my doctor has given me a letter to take to the clinic telling them to release my full report to me, as well as the previous one.  How else can I know my progress or deterioration, if all the summary says is low bone mass, lists my risk factors and says I have a high risk of fracture within ten years.  Then recommends only the usual calcium and D plus a bone med.  Nothing about other dietary needs, nor the importance of weight-bearing exercise to stimulate osteoblast activity.  And as I've refused the bone meds and done all the other things needful for improving or at least maintaining bone health I think I really do "need" the numbers! 

• Posted

Hi Kathleen. I've been following you with interest.  When are you due for your next scan?  I will be having one just over a year after the first one.  Depending on those results I can probably ask for another annual one, or, ideally, wait longer.  If I'm doing all right I will probably ask for another in two yearrs, and then decide whether I need another ever again.  smile

• Posted

I have had two one year apart. There were some differences but not huge. My lower back is the worst at -4.3. I will have one every year forever I am guessing.

As you know, I have more issues with two bulging discs, arthritis and mild scoliosis. The discs have caused a problem in my sacroiliac area which means I cannot sit on a normal chair.

I have forgotten your tscores, what are your worst ones?

I am still doing the natural route and will se the effect of that next year.

• Posted

I have been lucky brenda. I was given my t-score within minutes of my dexa scans. It seems to vary so much depending on where you live and your hospital policy. However, not telling the “patient” makes no sense. How do we know if we are taking the right course of action unless we have a starting point. Although, everyone should have the right to choose how to procede, it is better if we have the facts and can weigh up the fors and againsts. Not everyone has side effects, and not everyone will go on to experience spinal fractures, and, it is a very difficuilt decision. Knowing your scores may help you decide
  • Posted

I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis too. I am also Vitamin D deficient. I read about the negative side effects of the osteoporosis medications and am reluctant to take any of them too. I am 51 years old with a small body frame. I am currently taking Lo Loestrin and calcium and 2000 IU of Vitamin D daily. I need to exercise more too.
  • Posted

HI Kathryn. It seems pretty drastic to start on the meds with your score just into the OP range. Perhaps you have other medical issues and this is why your Dr has suggested treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.