Dosage of Zopiclone?

Posted , 33 users are following.

I am interested what dosage of Zopiclone other users (especially long term users) are prescribed, as I am a concerned daughter whose 65 year old mother is very addicted to this drug. She has taken various drugs for insomnia and depression for a very long time, the lastest being Zopiclone for the last two years, she takes 250mg a night (5 x 50mg), which I think is far too high a dosage.

She has severe side effects like slurring and memory problems, and her drowsiness the next day can sometimes be so bad she is incoherent, and has now fallen on several occasions. I am worried for her safety and would appreciate some feedback on the dosage other people with experience of this drug are on.

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I do know in older people the recommendation is half a tablet.  My mother in law was on that in rest care and she slept fine.
  • Posted

Whoa she needs help fast. I was on 7.5 a night .8 saw my doctor who gives 3.75 and I go between that and half a pill. They don't work after a while but help me chill really. Please get her help .

• Posted

Hello there! Can see the post was from sometime, I am actually a pharmacy technician, so medicines and does are a subject I know well.

Firstly Zopiclone being hypnotic to help the effects of insomnia and other sleeping disorders. It comes in two strengths, 3.75mg usually for elderly patients over 65 years of ages. Although, this lower dose can be used for patients where the 7.5mg is not suitable due to other ailments such as liver failure. The other is 7.5mg tablet is for all those over 18-65 years and should not be give to anyone under the age of 18, the dose states 7.5mg maximum in 24 hours. Zopiclone is a schedule 4 controlled drug and should only be prescribed in short course of 4 weeks. It is open to abuse, both physical and mental, that you need it to sleep and that you know not taking it will result in no sleep at all.

My advise would be to take away the Zopiclone for one night, results to be expected would be no sleep at all, however on the second reintroduce the Zopiclone for one night and repeat the alternating effect, so slowly wean off.

Amitriptyline, has multiple uses, depression although not recommended, mostly neuropathic pain, and migraine prophalaxis! It comes in 10, 25, 50 milligram tablets as well as oral suspension too. The maximum dose is around 150-200mg so 250mg is too high if even see as a small amount. Severe reactions can occur even in small cases of over dose. What concerns me most is that most cases of amitriptyline overdose has a high fatality risk. A tolerance to the drug can be built and side-effects can cease with tolerance increase.

Amitriptyline treatment is recommended to be withdrawn gradually and anyone whose received more than 8 weeks of treatment should not stop abruptly. It should be reduced over a period of four weeks but can be withdrawn over a sixth month period in severe cases. Withdrawal symptoms can vary from mild to severe but are very self-limiting. Symptoms include, insomnia, irritability, influenza like symptoms, sweating, vivid or abnormal dreams, movement disorders of some kind like a tremor or involuntary movement, and headaches.

In my opinion it is best to speak to your GP baring in mind all things mentioned are confidential and there should be no embarrassment felt. It maybe difficult to come to terms with the severity of dependence but getting help from professionals is the best way and of course support from family during this time. Feel free to ask me anymore questions if this hasn't helpedsmile best of luck

• Posted

Years ago, on my arrival to NZ, to continue my Psychiatric Reigistered Nursing career ( following years in my homeland, the United States; as well as years in my British Island experience ),  I was seriously injured during a WORK TRAINING exercise. 4 months following my arrival.   Practiced support and take down procedures, with difficult and dangerous hospital patients.  Neck and Head injury, Whiplash conditions;  seemingly ending my professional mental health nursing .career.

My recovery has been long and tedious, often using a neck brace to help with my condition.  What appeared to be successful in treating my condition was Oxycodone and Terrazosin and citirizine as my medication choices.  Horrible choices were Notriptyline, and Risperidone and Prozac. Causing unpleasant feelings of inadequacy, fear, pain, constipation,

• Posted

I took 7.5mg tabs of zopiclone for about 6 years straight basically everynight. I hate them so bad because they made me lifeless, bad memory, very emotional an agitated forgetting things always tired still yet i got powerhouse sleep which is big reason i kept taking them. took 3 weeks at least of complete hell trying to suffer withdraws trying to get them out of my system.. there was a point where i was taking 3 sometimes as my tolerance got higher i started to sleep less an less till down to couple hours sleep on them so i finally got off them.. for just over a year of never sleeping.. literally never sleeping has driven me mad crazy always on edge getting very angry at things not responding to people accourdinglly. its been hell but i've learned that since i dont sleep i have to meditate.. when i lay down at night..ive had to leave work on medical leave for the second time now because not fit for work an many other things from no sleep.. so brain dead.. starting to forget my point here already... ok so after the year of no zopiclone an having to leave work again on medical leave docs said i have to take some zopiclone because i have to sleep.. ive tried 6 or 7 different sleeping pills an they never worked out for me... everytime i take zopiclone an then stop taking them it just makes me problem a million times worse... ive been to sleeping clinics and have tried everything anyone has every suggested.. but now the docs gave me something new to me which is Temazeepam 15 mg.. so far worked first night an hopefully tonight as well.. going to see what these meds can do for me.. good luck to everyone out there having sleep issues... im an insomniac unless i have pills which suck so usually i dont sleep cuz pills make me sick an retarded.. plus there only suppose to be temporally fix.. and just wanna say Zopiclone is a horrible pill that i would never ever recommend to anyone.. too many bad side effects an make people stupid.. seen it happen to family.. anyways keep fighting to make your lifes better an go through the hard times to get to the better.. ive learned to accept not sleeping but still yet im trying another pill for just some sleep... till ive taken too many an they stop working.. take care everyone sorry if i got confusing here.. only slept last night for like 4 hours out of the last couple of weeks.. so i dont always have my focus on task.. oh bottom line Zopiclone is bad in my opinion an many others ive met an talk to about them.

• Posted

Have been using Zopiclone nightly, for over 5 years, to help me sleep, as I suffer from severe neck injury / head injury, work related, 11 years ago.

Am concerned that my addiction to 1-2 tablets nightly, to help me sleep for 5-6 hours, is not good for my overall health.

Tried Temazepam, ages ago, when I fwelt like I needed a break from imovane

• Posted

In the long run on zopiclone I've personally found that they just made my severe insomnia way worse.. once i stop taking them i went back to never sleeping everynight an once the pills were out of my system finally learned to relax more at night even tho i dont sleep id much rather not take the dam zopiclone because they make me worse.. I just got the 2nd sleep in over few weeks taking my 15 mg of temazepam an i dont feel the same crappy side effects as zopiclone.. i dont plan on taking these new pills long as all pills are suppose to be tempory.. i think i have PTSD as well that could be messing with my subconscious from sleeping.. i donno.. tried soo many things feels like what should i do next.. IF possible I'd stop the zopiclone an try somethign else.. but keep in mind the withdraw are complete hell.. for me they were anyways so i hope the best of luck to you.. 

• Posted

Sure you have the right medication?  as imovane-zopiclone dosage is usually 7.5mg
  • Posted

its way to much its irresponsible for a G.P to think its ok to give that much
  • Posted

Hi,

I have been on Zoppiclone for around 6mths now taking 1x7.5 mg a night and for the first time in years have actually slept! However, I have had a dry mouth and my tongue especially has become very sore, I also have had a break out on my face which (both) began to disappear when I stopped taking the tablets for 3nights however, only clocked up about 2 hrs of sleep 😞has anyone else had break outs and any recommendations of other tablets that could be taken without these side effects? Thank you for your advice in advance zzzzzzxx

• Posted

Hey, I have never broke out with anything taking zopiclone an only side effects i get are memory issues sometimes, Agitated next day sometimes, that nasty taste in your mouth sometimes and i build up immune to them an they start stop working but I do switch between 30mg Temazepam and the 7.5mg Zopiclone i have tried like 8-10 different meds for my sleep and these 2 works best for me. But for how long i dont know. Anyways I really like Temazepam because less side effects for me compared to the Zopiclone. oh i just remembered that Coming off of Zopiclone is a living hell if you have taken them for a long ass time. I feel Zopiclone in the long run are worse but thats just my opinion. Worse for coming off them. I hope your sleeping problem gets better and you heal an can sleep normally at night. 
    • Posted

sorry, I have only just logged in and found your reply, as I don't seem to have had any notification. Thank you so much for taking the time to write and also for the advice. I have had to stop taking Zipiclone intermittently as they lost their effectiveness but it certainly sounds as though Temazepam might be a better alternative. Does it lose its effectiveness after a time? Thank you once again and I hope that your sleep improves!

• Posted

Im pritty sure all medications lose there effectiveness as time goes by because your body naturally should get used to it like anything right.. I have to switch between zopiclone and the Temazepam every couple weeks it seems... otherwise both would just stop working. But after switching back an forth for last half year almost now ive noticed its better for me because im not having to increase the most recommended dosage. So in long run im taking 2 meds an less dosages compared to an increase in meds which is more harmful. Best of luck to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.