Dosulepin withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have been on dosulepin for many years being treated for depression. My gp has told me they are being withdrawn and I am quite happy to see how I am without medication as circumstances have changed and I dont really feel depressed anymore. I have tapered slowly from 150mg over 5 months with no problems at all. I took my last 25mg 5 days ago and am not feeling well at all, nausea, unable to sleep, achey, anxious and a bit panicky and spaced out. Im guessing these may be withdrawal symptoms and wondered if anyone had been through anything similar and how long this may go on for. Any advice be appreciated. Julie

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I stopped after heart attack. Same withdrawal as you mention. So bad my heart consultant told me to restart taking them. Four months without was more than enough. Best of luck and best wishes
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you ve had problems too. Four months isnt good to feel this way. The reason I had to come off was because my gp said they were being withdrawn and it wont be long before they are completely unavailable. He said there were safer alternatives but I wanted to see how I felt without any medication. What will you do when they stop making them? I havent run out altogether but will try and see this through, although the anxiety is getting unbearable. Good luck to you too 😊

• Posted

Apparently they are only being withdrawn in certain area's. I do have a backup supply. If you carry on 'cold turkey' I will be interested in how you cope

• Posted

I ll keep you posted Steve. Not feeling too bad today, surprising after hardly any sleep again! Still determined for now. Have read so many conflicting stories. Seems some people stop with no problems whatsoever but others not so good. I know my gp only had 3 patients on it that had he to stop, the other 2 swapped over to something new but he did say they had no withdrawal problems. He was surprised at my choice but happy for me to try, no doubt waiting for me to call in snivelling desperation lol. I can be pretty stubborn 😁 Onwards and upwards! Keep well 😊

• Posted

As far as the 'research' I have done, the advice is NOT to stop instantly. The non sleep can be a real nightmare, literally. Had Night terrors. The lack of meaningful sleep will cause physical problems. The effects build up and irritability is putting it mildly. Felt like my head was going to explode and just wanted to bang it against a wall. The best, most refreshing sleep I got was after smoking cannabis. Woke up; totally refreshed and actually went for a short walk. (No eye contact, head down). Back up to 100 mgs of Dosulepin from last night, after seeing my Doc  

• Posted

Pretty crappy isnt it! I didnt stop quickly, Ive tapered down over 5 or 6 months. Sleep is also a huge problem for me. Have been unwell and misdiagnosed (including depression and anxiety) for many years but was finally diagnosed, completely by accident, with sleep apnea at Papworth. Had been barely sleeping at all without realising and it was really taking a toll on me. Having new sleep issues with withdrawal is making my cpap treatment a nightmare, so am expecting all the old symptoms to return on top of this too. Its a shame as sleeping well is a life changer. Dont do things by half do we! May end up with cbd in my vape lol! Sounds like youve had a terrible time. Do you want to come off eventually?
    • Posted

i am just the same as Steve ! night terrors feel like my head is going to explode i am in a total panic , ive just been out no eye contact head down , im on 125mg of dosulepin ihave reduced from 150 on my 9th day i dont think i am going to manage to get off them x

• Posted

Speak to your doctor. The withdrawal symptoms are horrendous. I am, now, down to 25mg a day just to keep the 'symptoms' away . Do speak to your doctor, please

• Posted

Thanks Steve i am going to try and get in tomorrow

• Posted

It was work that sent me into my downward spiral. I had more and more duties heaped on me and no extra time or help. It was a complicated job that required concentration. My brain said, "You can't do it all the way you should. You are ILL" and I was so sick, physically, I had lots of time off until my Doc hit me with a Diazepam. Every woe just melted away. Had to stop working, Diagnosed with Depression/anxiety/stress. Two and a half years later, here I am. Afraid to leave the house, angry and frustrated. I will get better. Somehow. I will get back up to 150 mgs within a couple of months and see how I'm doing. Prepared for the 'Long March' if need be

• Posted

That brings back memories. It was a book that turned my head around, carried it around like a bible lol. (Dr Claire Weeks). You will get through this. I can remember not being able to leave the house, too scared to do anything, sometimes having to get through the day second by second. Thats when the dosulepin started. It did help at the time but Im still convinced my symptoms started after years and years of not sleeping. Stress comes in all forms and eventually takes its toll when your body just starts to give up. Why do you want to go back up to 150mg? Have they offered you anything different? You need it now but you wont be like this forever, it will pass 😊 It did for me, but inside I dont think it ever really goes away. You learn how to 'function' and hope for the best 😐

• Posted

I've been an insomniac since I was a little boy. My brain was always 'on the go'; as today, I would start doing something, quickly get bored and move on to something else. I was and still am a voracious reader of books. Almost like the robot in the film who always needed "Input".Social isolation exacerbates the situation so I joined lots of groups on social media. This does help as I feel 'connected' to an outside world I can't actually go into. I'm hoping the 150 mgs will level me out so I can go out. Take the symptoms one by one and tackle them from a position of 'normality'

• Posted

Good luck finding 'normality' I know what you mean though, everything is calmer and easier to put in perspective when you feel well. Although I feel better being on my own and I love being at home but its good to have the choice to venture to the outside world. So its not always abnormal to be stuck inside. Its taken me a long time to accept who I am and now I dont care what others think. The important people in my life let me get on with things luckily. Im actually feeling better today. I still didnt turn light out till gone 1.00 but I only woke up once, so sleeping helped. Not so panicky today either, just completely knackered 😐 I hope your still feeling positive. I think once you stop fighting how you feel and stop being scared things start to ease off a bit. All of you needs a break and its hard to stop the fight or flight cycle but it does lessen when you start being nice to yourself 😊

• Posted

I haven't even put the Wheelie Bin out today. My little bedroom has become a kind of 'safety nest'. I can go i, read my books and have my radio on. I have my back to the wall so I feel safe. It would be good for a respite from this 'cloak of fear' and every now and then I do feel 'GOOD' but it doesn't last. I know I'm ill and I accept it's not my fault. I know, inside, I'm a good man; a helpful, friendly man. I just need turning 'inside out' lol

• Posted

I have never heard of Dosulepin but I was taking  Clomipramine for over 20 years, .when I too was toild by the chemist that they cannot get any more. Like you I was fine at first and thought I could do without them, then I woke up and felt really down,decided to try a different medication at first it worked but not as well as Clomipramine, so I weaned of those and started another, they gave me tinnitus so I weaned off those..........I really wish you the best of luck, 5 years on and I don't expect to ever get out of this hole I just live with it.

Apparently Clomipramine are available again now!!!!!!!  I'm in therapy, but so far it hasn't worked so much else has happened but too much to tell.

Good luck to uou. xx

• Posted

Sorry you ve been struggling. Its a bit of a mess coming of these tablets isnt it. Did you have many side effects from withdrawal? I really hope the therapy helps you but it takes time 😊

• Posted

No  not that  I can remember,  the anxiety is just  dreadful  I'm on Venlafaxine at the moment 300mg + 45 miligrams mirtazapine, I can't change now until I have done this therapy I also have Clonazapan and they help me to sleep plus I have a glass of Guinness  I don't think the doctors know how bad for you all this stress is.   Unfortunately the therapy isn't helping at all with the anxiety.   Again I wish you the best of luck do let us know how you get on.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.