Double bunion operation

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had the above done 2 weeks ago yesterday and my gp is of the opinion to sign me back to full time work in 2 weeks. Any of your opinions would be great please! 

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not had a bunion op done so I do not really know about that.  I had a 2nd Metarsal Ostomoisis done about 6 weeks ago now and I still had the pin sticking out the end at 4 weeks so do not think I could have gone back to work because I felt so exhausted anyway.  Will you be sitting down for your work?  I would check with your consultant. 😔
  • Posted

I am a teller in a bank, 1 of  only 2, so spend a lot of time getting op and down and have a 15 minute walk to and from car. I have a consultant follow up on Tuesday so will check with him then too. He has always muted about 6 weeks. It's not so much wanting time off work coz I am a very active person anyway it's more of not wanting to damage any ing and allowing the healing process to be complete. 
  • Posted

Hi Paula. No way! I think the general consensus is 6 weeks or more. When I was about to be discharged from hospital after having surgery on just one foot, I was asked whether I would need a sick note and, if I had done, it would have been for 6 weeks with a review at the end of that time and it would have been signed by the consultant, not my GP. I know some people have no choice but to return to work sooner than 6 weeks but I think it tends to be a gradual return and often because they are self-employed. You will need lots of rest, far more than you would imagine, not just because you may well feel tired but because you have had considerable and invasive surgery. I'm surprised at how many people think that bunion surgery is trivial (although, to be fair, I was one of them until I looked into what was involved and also read posts on this forum); it sounds like your GP is one of those people! Could you phone your consultant's office for advice? Please don't feel that, because your GP thinks you could return, that this has to be the final word. Best wishes!

• Posted

Hi Paula, 

I had akin osteotomy on my left foot 2 weeks ago. I have been off on sick leave for the 2 weeks and will be working from home for a further 2 weeks. I am aiming to return to work for the 5th and 6th week but with taxis to get me to work - thankfully provided by my office, and will elevate my foot at work. My surgeon suggested returning on the 5th week as other patients have done it. It's just a case of being conscious not to do too much too quickly and not get public transport / drive and to elevate your foot as much as possible. Is your job desk based?  

• Posted

Definitely 4 weeks is too soon!. I am now 6 weeks (had both feet done) and was instructed not to weight bear for the whole 6 weeks. I have gone for a short walk today with crutches and am exhausted and my usual idea of a stroll is a 5 mile hike so am pretty active normally!  I think you should get advice from the Cnsultant not the GP.  If you do too much too soon you will just delay the recovery and risk a less successful outcome.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi thank you both for your comments. I will be guided by my consultant as, after all, he is the professional here not my gp! I serve the public all day with no option to have a desk job or have my feet elevated. The cost of a taxi would be astronomical  as I work 20 miles away and I have  looked into parking nearer but that isn't even an option. Will let you know the outcome. 
  • Posted

Hi Paula

I would say impossible in all honesty. I have had one done and at 3 weeks thought I would go back to work but honestly just starting to walk more still on crutches and I am exhausted after an hour or two going to town using public transport. My consultant has given me 6 week sick note and work are very supportive even at six weeks I am going to have a short phased return.

The recovery is about rest and elevation in the early stages followed by gradual return to normal activity and also some physio which even if you do yourself you will still need to make time for. If you do too much you will know as yo will feel rubbish the next day.

If you have any external pins I cant see you going back before it us removed. Additionally if driving you need to be able to do emergency stop with ni risk. If driving non automatic car do not underestimate how achy and swollen your feet will become after this exertion.

You have gone through the op dont risk undoing it or further damage by working to early.

You do need to speak to yr consultant u may need longer than six weeks. I agree though post op advice for this surgery can be poor. I was told feet up for two weeks an I thgt that meant I would be ok in 2 weeks it so not the case and my recover has been very uncomplicated. I will send you a link un the next post with info on post op advice. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you Sheila.  Thought I would be a pent home with a list of do and dont. That's exactly what I mean about the long term result being important. My sick record is exemplary and when you need the support.....! I think we are the only country that sends patients home same day so we are toughies!! I think gp's must have targets for getting patients back to work! 
    • Posted

I found the aftercare paper work very confusing.  I know we are all individuals but following the week by week instructions is not always right for you at the time.  Some people have mentioned ROM exercise am I supposed to be doing some nobody as mentioned doing any to me at the hospital.  Just to build up my exercise ie. Walkingand general daily activeities.  So I worry I should be doing some foot exercise. Anybody else know about this. Thanks.
    • Posted

I wasn't given any exercises or paperwork at all. If I do get any Tuesday I will share it with you 
  • Posted

Hi Paula, I went back to a desk job part time after 3 weeks. It is 2 days a week for 7 hours. I have found it to be difficult. There is pain, heat and a tingling sensation when the foot is not elevated. Dealing with crutches, sponge bathing, getting dressed, getting in and out of car, everything seems to be exhausting. The good part is getting out of house and talking with others. This is my 6th week and I will work 3 days and get pin out the end of week. It is up to you, but I like getting out and getting nicer clothes on even though it is not easy.
    • Posted

Hi Lauren. Crikey, you have done well! I do think all things considered I will wait and see what my consultant says. I would probably have a different view if  I had a desk job but I think serving the public all day, once I am there I will be expected to be able to give 100% with no support once I am there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.