Double hip replacement concerns

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi all, never viewed or used a forum before, I figured it may help. My wife is great to talk with regarding this stuff but has never been through it. So she is my mental rock since i'm scared/nervous and everything else that goes with it. I was looking for a bit of understanding as to what I'm getting myself into. I will be going in for a double hip replacement in early November and I have a few questions. Just a little background. I'm 39 and already had 2 microscopy surgeries on my left hip. Each one didn't take after a year or so. I'm not 100% sure on what I have wrong "technical term" with me but I can say it hurts smile. What should I expect after surgery? I want my wife and myself to be repaired. We have 2 kids 7 yrs old and a 2.5 yr old. We both work full time so I'm looking to be prepared as I can be for her and myself. Life is busy already and  I know this will only complicate things us both. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

8 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi bill. I had my thr 5 weeks ago and am now back at work full time but taking it easy. Everyone seems to be different in rate of recovery. Start exercising now to get leg muscles strong. Get everything you might need in place ie raised toilet seat, reacher, chair that is the right height ( ie not a low settee) and be prepared for week one to feel shocking. .but week 2 is so much easier and week 3 is easier again. Focus on getting through week one and look forward to week 2. You will be fine. Don't rush things and do all the exercises they give you every day. Some really good advice on this forum. Just ask.

The biggest difference in advice is sleeping position. Ask the physio about recommendations before you leave hospital

Takd care

Kate x

• Posted

Wow 5 weeks. That's great. And your back to work. Even more encouraging to me. 
  • Posted

I had a double hip replacement last October, and am now pretty well back to normal,but it has been a long haul. I am considerably older than you, but am happy to share my experiences with you if you would like to pm me with specific questions or concerns. It's a big undertaking,but absolutely worth it in the long run.

Maidlin

• Posted

Maudlin, thanks for the comment. How long were you out of work. Just trying to plan my work schedule. I do have access to work from home if needed. 
    • Posted

I don't have a job,but work from home as a free-lance writer. i found that one of the biggest challenges post-op was sitting for any length of time. In fact the physio advised me to get up and walk around or do exercises every hour. If you are able to do that, you should be able to do a certain amount of desk-work quite soon. However, as others have said, it's important to take time to recuperate and not to rush things, particularly if you are not sleeping well and need naps during the day.

Maidlin

• Posted

Hi Maidlin,

I have bilateral coming up early Oct.  I've been able to get absolutely no dialogue with my Kaiser orthopedic surgion or anyone else there.  At 68, I'm also a older that Bill.  I have some simple questions like, will I be able to get upstairs to my bedroom, but again I'm not getting any info from Kaiser.  Do you have any recommendations on where I can go to get some answers and guidance?  Thanks so much Maidlin.

• Posted

Hi Bill, 

this is a great forum and you will find a wealth of experience here.  Ultimately the best people to help you will be your medical team. Just a few questions.  Are you in the UK?  What kind of work do you do?  

my reason for asking is that the support, medication and terminology seem to vary between countries. Also if you have a fairly physical job then you may take a bit longer before you are fully ready to work. 

Most at of us have had one hip at a time but there are a few hippies who will respond and share their double hip experiences. 

One thing is certain, if they are recommending this then you must need it.  You are probably in considerable daily, and nightly, pain.  This operation is amazing and with a little patience on your part that pain will soon be a thing of the past and you can once become a cheerful Daddy. 

all the very best and keep in touch so we can help to prepare you. 

Healing hugs 

Laura 

• Posted

Thanks Laura. I live in the U.S. And work in IT so it's a desk job. Thanks for the response and the cheerful dad common as it's been hard the last few weeks to run around and play with them like I used to do. 
    • Posted

I can't say you'll be running this ide of Christmas but you'll certainly be smiling. 

Xx

• Posted

Hi Bill,

I had a hip replacement three month ago and I am almost back to normal. The first week is hard but then things get easier and easier, you will improve a little every day.

You are very young, I am sure you will recover incerdibly fast! Ask all the questions you want; in this forum lots of people have had double hip replacements and they have young families. I am sure you are going to get lots of answers...

All the best and keep in touch!

Ella

• Posted

HI Bill it will be difficult at first having both done at the same time, I have them both done this year but separately, the painkillers do work, do you have to have both done together?? My second one healed up so much quicker than the first, is that the docs choice or necessary for your condition, yes I was in pain could hardly walk, now I am fine getting back to work next week, I hope. What a Year...well six months of it, I am so pleased it is getting over with soon.

Keep in touch and dont worry, you can get through it and will get through it.

Ian.

• Posted

Thanks Ian. I should have both just due to the pain and doc suggested that. Plus I will start to favor the new hip and I'm afraid I will revert back. My right hip was good but after all the favoring due to the other 2 surgeries on my left hip I now hurt that one. Plus I fill if I do one i will chicken out for the first as I'm a bit nervous to go through just one right not. 
  • Posted

Anyone around my age 39 that has done both at the same time? And if so how long were you out of work and what kind of work do you do? 
  • Posted

The first two weeks are the worst and if there is any possible way try to have someone at home with you for the first two weeks.

sleeping is very necessary to help you heal but one of the hardest things to do after a THR. Pain mess help, yes both to knock down the pain but also to help you sleep.

just keep in mind all pain medication but codeine in particular are very constipating, so take a stool softener every night and drink a big glass of prune juice every day and you'll be fine. 

I don't think you will do any work, even work from home before 4 weeks, just my gut feeling having gone through one THR. 

For or a double THR I would think a big lazy-boy recliner will help you a LOT. IF YOU DON't have one try Craig's list and afterwards you can re-sell it. Actually look on Craig's list might be under medical devices for "electric lift chair" again you can resell it afterwards.

clip your toenails as it is going to be a while before you can reach them again.

prepare yourself that almost all of us had mild bouts of depression that came and went and would last for a day or two. If this happens to you know that this is normal, many people have a mild depression after major surgery. 

The he first time you shower, ( and that is going to be a while) have your wife bring in a chair into the bathroom and just sit in the room with you while you shower.

• Posted

Dear Bill, 

welcome to this wonderful forum - your wife will be so relieved !!!! maybe , if she is interested and of course if it is OK with you, she can read some of our stories ... 

it is wonderful and a blessing to have such great support - 

so many already commented and share their tips etc. 

Just come back any time you have a question or concern ...

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.