Double hip replacement concerns

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi all, never viewed or used a forum before, I figured it may help. My wife is great to talk with regarding this stuff but has never been through it. So she is my mental rock since i'm scared/nervous and everything else that goes with it. I was looking for a bit of understanding as to what I'm getting myself into. I will be going in for a double hip replacement in early November and I have a few questions. Just a little background. I'm 39 and already had 2 microscopy surgeries on my left hip. Each one didn't take after a year or so. I'm not 100% sure on what I have wrong "technical term" with me but I can say it hurts smile. What should I expect after surgery? I want my wife and myself to be repaired. We have 2 kids 7 yrs old and a 2.5 yr old. We both work full time so I'm looking to be prepared as I can be for her and myself. Life is busy already and  I know this will only complicate things us both. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

8 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi bill

From my own experience im not trying to lecture you or to put you of but its not all plain sailing haveing one done is bad enough but two thats up to you but first think of your wife and children helping with your recovery!!! you have to work alot harder if you have both done firstly getting out of bed, coping with laying on your back,for at least 8 weeks thats only for one its twice as hard for you if you have both, been moved from one side to the other when you are in hospital is no joke how much it hurts and i mean its really bad can your wife do this for you when you get home i see youve had things done with your hip in the past but this is bigger op than you have had its the recovery thats important to you and your family im not beating behind the bush im been truthfull think of the frustration you will go through when you cant bend over to fasten your shoe's for weeks not been able to drive for weeks having to rely on your wife and pressure it can put on her

If you have the chance i certainly would re-concider and opt for just the One just yet let your body ajust to the new prothesis and see how you react to it then see how you recover gose there are quite a few on this hip site that have re-conciderd you wont be the first thats chickened out if you do.

I am one of them thats had to have two done but wish i hadent now im worse than ever  

there are alot of ppl on here still having problems from there first going wrong if they find your question will tell you the same no two indiviual is the same in the healing process. There can be complication with any op but hip ops are in the first 3 no matter what you are told by your surgon and your age did your surgon tell you what Type and Model hes putting in, How long it will last even though ur younger you are the more likely you will want a revision in later yrs they dont last forever i dont want to frighten you its too close to your op unless you are in real agoney and really do need them both doing i would think again.also your OC theraphist should visit your home on what your needs will be they will tell you Not to use a recliner chair it has to be an hard bottom straight up right chair you must not execced your legs more than 90 degree's you will need a physio if you decide to go for one or two every day both in hospital and at home.i will tell you the truth about my own experience when you have had yours done. if you do chicken out dont think you are a wimp your not.I wouldn't want to think you are jumping into something you will regret there is alot to take in men think they have to be hard to prove a point this is not the case when faced with a major opperation like this and think what your wife is going through right now.

your wife will need all the help she can get she sounds strong im sure she is for you and the children i sympathise with he.keep us updated i do hope everything turns out fine for you which ever way you choose

take care

Lots of Huggs to you all. 

chris.

• Posted

Hi Bill

I had bilateral THR 26 days ago and I can thoroughly recommend it. I am an active 53 year old who regularly went to the gym. You need good upper body strength for getting on and off the bed and out of chairs etc. There are lots of forums and videos on Youtube that will provide you with the knowledge pre-op that will help you plan how to manage post op. Lying on your back gets better after the staples come out. Sitting comfortably for any length of time improves after 2-3 weeks - so workwise you could sit at a desk for short bursts of time but its not something you want to rush into as your sleep pattern can be disrupted and it can be hard to focus for long periods of time. Now I dont need painkillers during the day but take paracetemol at night.If you are relatively healthy you should progress well. I have my own business and my consultant recommended 12 weeks off work- my response was that I cant possibly take that long off but my recovery matters the most and nowIi see the benefit of plenty of rest and recuperation. It's a case of takes things steady , be positive and enjoy the painfree life! 

Good Luck

xx

• Posted

Bill, what we call paracetamol in the UK you call Acetametophen in the USA.  As you can see this is someone who in just a few short weeks is on a raltifely low dose of pain meds. 

You have time to get yourself ready and I'm sure people will share a sensible list of things to get in.  

Personally, I found that my electric recliner armchair was essential as I could nap and keep my feet up comfortably for hours. I also changed my car from my lovely, but low, little sports car to a high crossover vehicle which has meant that I could, resume my work travels by about 8 weeks. Now at 3 months I can, and do, drive up to 250 miles for work. 

Good luck, 

Laura 

• Posted

Hi bill,

I can't help you out with the bilateral side of things but all I can say is it's the best thing I've ever done. I had the left one done in February of this year and the right one 2 weeks ago today. I'm doing absolutely everything for myself, just 2 weeks out and am feeling good. I put this off from 2008 when I was first told I needed it done and realise now what an idiot I've been.

The success rate of these ops is very high (I should know, I work in a very large, well known hospital in North East England and researched it myself from the inside). Many of my patients have had this done and the times you hear of it going wrong are rare. Nearly everyone you speak to will tell you that the surgery has given them a new lease of life so I would advise you to go for it. It'll be a difficult few weeks but it will be so worth it, being able to run around and play with your kids but most of all, without pain! 

Good luck, and hopefully someone will be able to tell you of their experiences of bilateral surgery.

Ali x

• Posted

Hi Bill,

I had a thr 3 months ago - not a bilateral but just my right hip.  The first two weeks are hard - it is painful, you have restricted movement, your leg feels like a dead weight due to the muscle damage as a result of the op.  It is not easy.

However 3 months on I no longer even think about the hip - I have resumed all my previous activities and more since I am no longer in pain.

What procedure will you be having - anterior, posterior etc - depending on the way your surgeon operates has an impact on the recovery time and the precautions you need to take for the first couple of months post op?

If I had a choice I would not have both undertaken at the same time - personal choice based on the recovery process only mind.  If I could stagger this for a few months then that would be my preferred choice.

Good luck and keep us informed.

• Posted

Hi Bill

As you are in the US, you may be having  Superpath Hip replacements.  If so, this will make a (positive) difference to your recovery.  The surgery involves less invasive surgery - you have about a 3 inch scar instead of the usual 6 inch one, and they part the muscles rather than cut them, so the healing tends to be quicker.  Mark from Australia, who has posted on this forum, had one hip done and walked out of the hospital without aids.  I was lucky enough to have a right THR back in May using this technique, but only because my local hospital is the only one in Europe trialling this method.  So as a country, we're pretty new to this and you may need to bear this in mind when taking on any UK advice.  Do you know what technique is proposed for you ?

Whatever you do have, it will be far better than the pain you are in at the moment.  It gets better every day, just remember to do your exercises and allow yourself some bad days when you have done too much two days before and need to rest more.  Use the time to read to your kids - they'll love it, you can rest and have some quality time with them.  You won't regret it.

with best wishes

Cheryl

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl, I don't know the process they will use until my next Dr. Meeting on Sept 23rd. 

Yeah as my kids and I will love the whole true daddy time. 

• Posted

What questions should I have for my Dr. When I see him next? I meet with him in 2 weeks to talk about surgery. 
  • Posted

Dear Bill, I had a bilateral hip replacement in May 15, all I can say is I am so glad I had 2 done at the same time, it's given me my life back,I'm was lucky I had no problems after, and pain was very bearable, just make sure you do your exercises. 

Stay positive my way of thinking was 1 op, 1 recovery.

Good luck.

• Posted

HI again Bill, I have found that the Recliner Chair has been a real boon for recovery, as you can easily elevate your legs and have a kip, you will want to sleep more, and will have to be propped up in bed, not on our back really but propped up against pillows so you sink down to the best position for you, I had no real problems with sleep but most folks here have trouble resting thier minds for sleep. 

Cheers for now Ian.

• Posted

Just a small update. I'm only moving forward with my left hip. The Dr. feels my right hip will get back to normal once I stop favoring it. 

Now my my only concern is he stated I will not be total knocked out for surgery. He said I will feel sleepy but be aware at times. Is that normal?

• Posted

So you're only doing one hip? Good idea I think. I had a spinal but I also said that I didn't want to hear what was going on and the anaesthetist was able to do that. It may be worth asking. I didn't hear anything and as fr as I was concerned it was a general anaesthetic.

Keep us updated. Maybe start a new thread?

• Posted

Hi, Bill! I'm 42 & just had my second THR. My first was done when I was 37. I'm a little apprehensive about this twilight anesthesia they are using. I know I wouldn't want to be awake at any point for this. It's a pretty intense process. Can you make a request for full sedation? I'd go for that! I'm glad to hear you are only doing one right now. My Father had one done on a Monday & the second done 4 days later. He was miserable & it was awful seeing him go through that. He was 50 at the time. He just had a revision a year ago & did well. I will be honest, the first week is the hardest but each day gets easier. Just stay ahead of the pain by taking pain meds right on time you are allowed. (I'm in the US. Ohio, I couldn't find any forums that were as active as this one.)

Good luck! 

-Kristin

• Posted

hi i am 37 years old and i am due to go for THR in 2 weeks. as it draws close i am unsure if i made the right call. I have noted reading forums that every1 seems to be on pain killers. i had an op back in 1996 as i fractured the joint. i had pin and bolts put in.it never really got full movement back developing osteoarthritis in it now and has stiffened up over the years, i do have bad days with it, the winter and work can be drainning when its bad from been over active on it. i work on my feet 8 hrs a day and need to lift also. when i take anti inflamtories and rest it its not as bad. i cant bend past 90 degrees or do any long running plus picking un from the floor is hard to do. over the years i have developed some pain in the right hip. I have to daughters aged 14 and 7 that want to do things it can sometimes be hassle i could do with out as they both are sporting kids. i do swim and use an swimming aid to get excercise and dont use my legs because it would only cause me pain afterwards. can anyone help me shed light on weather they were in the same situation as me and went through with it. im unsure if i should have held out longer as im not on pain killers just the odd anti inflametory. stairs not a problem and most other stuff im able to do, over activity causes me issues. musle in the leg has shrunk over the years also as i depend on the right leg to bend and stand up. would i get more movement back with the new hip is the question and the revision op averaging only 15 years away i am wondering if i should hold out because of this.
    • Posted

Hi there.  Your story is very similar to mine - I fractured my neck of femur over 10 years ago and like you it was pinned but never the same and gradually osteoarthritis attacked the joint and I was in pain most of the time and especially after doing any walking etc.  I am 44.

This year I had a THR and it was simply the best decision of my life.  For the first time in years I am looking forward to the summer and being able to play with my kids in the garden (they are excited too!).  I have virtually no pain - the only pain I do get is muscular as I rebuild my muscles and strengthen the tendons that spent years being underused.

As I am young for a THR, and you being younger, then you should ensure you get the very best replacement hip - mine is titanium stem with ceramic ball and cup.  My consultant advised that the time span for these looks more like 25-30 year life span although the evidence has not yet had time to prove this one way or the other.  In lab conditions they are seeing 30 years plus service life but real life can be more challenging of course.

I don't take any pain relief and quite honestly, 10 months on, I do not even think about it anymore.  It has no impact on any single thing I do - I can do anything I want!

Impact sports are the only real no-no so I believe.

Go for it - it's not easy and you will wonder if you have done the right think but then it all starts to come together and you will get your life back.

Any questions - please ask.

• Posted

hi just seen your message and was wondering how long your dad got out of his 1st hip op. im told you got to be relly bad before revision

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.