Double hip replacement concerns

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi all, never viewed or used a forum before, I figured it may help. My wife is great to talk with regarding this stuff but has never been through it. So she is my mental rock since i'm scared/nervous and everything else that goes with it. I was looking for a bit of understanding as to what I'm getting myself into. I will be going in for a double hip replacement in early November and I have a few questions. Just a little background. I'm 39 and already had 2 microscopy surgeries on my left hip. Each one didn't take after a year or so. I'm not 100% sure on what I have wrong "technical term" with me but I can say it hurts smile. What should I expect after surgery? I want my wife and myself to be repaired. We have 2 kids 7 yrs old and a 2.5 yr old. We both work full time so I'm looking to be prepared as I can be for her and myself. Life is busy already and  I know this will only complicate things us both. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

8 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi Bill, 

my first reaction was :" how weird "   - first both hips and now one and maybe the other will settle back to normal ....

how do you feel about it? 

as Kikeena suggested, maybe you should start a new discussion/thread ...

big hug

renee

• Posted

hi i am 37 years old and i am due to go for THR in 2 weeks. as it draws close i am unsure if i made the right call. I have noted reading forums that every1 seems to be on pain killers. i had an op back in 1996 as i fractured the joint. i had pin and bolts put in.it never really got full movement back developing osteoarthritis in it now and has stiffened up over the years, i do have bad days with it, the winter and work can be drainning when its bad from been over active on it. i work on my feet 8 hrs a day and need to lift also. when i take anti inflamtories and rest it its not as bad. i cant bend past 90 degrees or do any long running plus picking un from the floor is hard to do. over the years i have developed some pain in the right hip. I have to daughters aged 14 and 7 that want to do things it can sometimes be hassle i could do with out as they both are sporting kids. i do swim and use an swimming aid to get excercise and dont use my legs because it would only cause me pain afterwards. can anyone help me shed light on weather they were in the same situation as me and went through with it. im unsure if i should have held out longer as im not on pain killers just the odd anti inflametory. stairs not a problem and most other stuff im able to do, over activity causes me issues. musle in the leg has shrunk over the years also as i depend on the right leg to bend and stand up. would i get more movement back with the new hip is the question and the revision op averaging only 15 years away i am wonering if i should hold out because of this.
  • Posted

I just had both hips done 15 Mar. I am 55 and other than my hips I am fortunate in good health. No more pain. You are young get them both done at the same time...anterior approach was used on me and I am healing nicely. I am so very grateful. Did I mention no more pain.....and I am off all pain meds!
  • Posted

Bill,  How did your bilateral hip replacment turn out?  Are you glad you had both done at one time?  My dilemmna is left is bone on bone and right hip is now giving me pain as well.  Want to do both at once but my fear is after having back fusion in March it would be diffcult to handle both at once.  Sleeping on my back after surgery could create problems in the back.  Also I have don't have anyone who could be there 24/7.  I appreciate anyones opinion.  One hip at a time or bilateral and get it over with..

• Posted

About me

Are you glad you did bilateral hip surgery turn out?  Are you glad you did both at once? My dilemmna is left is bone on bone and right hip is now giving me pain as well. Want to do both at once but my fear is after having back fusion in March it would be diffcult to handle both at once. Sleeping on my back after surgery could create problems in the back. Also I have don't have anyone who could be there 24/7. I appreciate any opinion. One hip at a time or bilateral and get it over with?

• Posted

Hi Gary. I turned out getting only my left hip replaced. It turns out the main reason for my pain in the right hip was due to favoring it. But in the end I'm going back in again for them to redo my left hip as my bone didn't grow back and around the prosthetic. So I wish I could give you some info to help you but my journey has been a painful one and has a long way to go.

• Posted

Thanks and sorry to hear it's been a rough slow process

• Posted

I'm unsure as to how approach my situation. I need both hips done. I work in the health care field. I am 63 and live in Canada we don't get much of a choice of Surgeon's. I was diagnosed with needing a total right hip replacement a month ago. I was doing yoga and I got a severe pain in my left hip and went to my GP and guy what yes my left hip is even more damaged than my right. I see my surgeon in a month. Can you help me with what questions I should ask him plz. I hope you're recovery has went well. As well I do hope your pain free.

Debi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.