Double Trouble

Posted , 8 users are following.

I now have less than 2 weeks until I have both feet done at the same time! I am starting to panic about the whole ordeal neutral Any tips on surviving the first couple of weeks would be greatly appreciated.

Marie

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Marie I had a bunionectomy together with straightening of the toes in my left foot. So I really cannot give you much advise. What I would suggest is to ask the surgeon whether you can at least walk to the bathroom. The first 3 days are quite painful but make sure you are given pain killers. Hope you find an angel to look after you for a while....😇

• Posted

Hi, for the quickest recovery, my advice is to buy or borrow crutches, keep both feet up at least level with body if not higher, keep feet cool (ice regularly) don’t miss any painkillers for at least a week, buy some puzzler magazines, and download magic puzzles and games in iPad/phone, borrow some dvds, get in some snacks and ready meals or prepare and freeze some, plus accept help at all times!! , you will be bored and frustrated but basically the more you rest your feet in the first two weeks the quicker you will recover, I’ve had both feet done but separately. Good luck and don’t worry it’s fine x
    • Posted

Thank you! I have gel cool packs on order and plenty of box sets ready to watch.

xx

• Posted

Hi Marie

All will be fine, the problem with me, i am on the go so much , this op has stopped me in my tracks, I suppose it's like any op, you have to allow healing time and rest.

Keep your foot elevated as much as possible, it really will help.

I am in my 9th week and brought a special post op boot made of foam and it has been the best buy, wear them at work, cannot be bothered with being fashionable at the moment, as long as it helps my foot, that all that matters.

Apart from the swelling, my foot looks great without a bunion.

Other foot will be done maybe next year

Good luck and enjoy your new feet

• Posted

Thank you! I do think my main worry is suddenly not being able to do anything. I'm normally very active. I hate the thought of being a burden to the family and friends who have offered to help! I just keep telling myself its only short term......and I'd do the same for them smile

xx

• Posted

Hi there!

I had both feet done about 18 months ago now and I think it’s the best way - only one period of absence from work, only one anaesthetic and only one episode of being ‘laid up’! Yes, the first couple of weeks are difficult, frustrating even, especially if you are used to being active, but it’ll be worth it in the long run. I totally understand your reservations; I was absolutely petrified! It wasn’t as bad as I was expecting, to be honest. For me, it was more of an inconvenience rather than painful. Elevation is definitely the key; the more you rest up with your feet elevated, the quicker your recovery will be. I read loads to occupy myself and the days went by fairly quickly (I have school-age kids and no sooner I was saying cheerio in the morning, they were back again !!). If you have someone who has offered to help while you’re recovering, accept their offer, because you’re expected to be sitting with your feet up for 50-55 minutes out of every hour; the only time you should be getting up is to go to the loo. Make the most of your friends and any company (or good books or tv) and the time will fly, I promise you! Good luck with your procedure - it will soon be a distant memory ( and you’ll have lovely feet, too 🙂wink.

Take care.

• Posted

I think I've been quite naive (in denial) about the amount of recovery that is involved! I am literally on the go all the time...... maybe I will enjoy a few weeks rest haha!

I was definitely thinking 'getting it over and done with' was the best approach but as the date gets closer I'm not so sure! Half of the problem is the people around me.......esp at work...... thinking I will be up and running around after a couple of weeks rolleyes

Fingers crossed by summer it will be (as you say lol) a distant flip flop filled memory!

xx

• Posted

I am sure you will be happy to get it done. The forced holiday is a nice break.  Have some projects handy but expect not to work.  The pain killers are strong. Tell them bones take 8-12 weeks to heal.  They will survive. 
    • Posted

I have told them I will be back when I feel ready!! Luckily when I do come back I will be able to sit at my desk with my feet up :-)
  • Posted

Hi Marie,

I am 5 weeks today with both feet, osteotomies. Not just bunion shave.  Bones pinned with dissolving material. No stitches. 

What are having done?

Get a main floor bed.  Get a walker you cann sit in and be wheeled in. Get a cane. 

Do not walk on you feet the first week even if they tell you to.  Just stand up from walker to go to the bathroom.  Do you have help?  Dont wiggle feet or try to rotate ankles first week.  

I had a sofa with a tv/bed tray thatyou might use for breakfast in bed.  Buy moldable ice packs for both feet and use them.  Trying laying in your bed or sofa and make sure everything is handy.  Phone, tv, light, books.  Have no spill cups.  Feet need to be higher than chest.  Try laying down and have pillows for head and something so legs are confortable. I used a chair cushion angled up on pillows. You cant have your feet hanging over the edge, they need to be supported.  

Have your toothbrush abd other toiletries  at the closest bathroom.  Get the plastic booties to protect your feet and a plastic chair in shower to sit on.

Socks do not fit unless very loose ones. 

You will be just fine if prepped. Make sure to take pain meds as prescribed and write it down because you can forget or have your helper track them and give them to you.  

I walked the first few days too much between nerve block and pain killers.  Then I have barely walked since which is good swelling going down weekly. 

• Posted

Thank you for the tips smile

Until I see my consultant again next week I'm not entirely sure what I'm having done! I do know that my right foot is just bone shave (I'm hoping this is a quicker recovery!) and left is toe realignment and bone shave.

I plan on loads of food prep..... other half is a disaster in the kitchen haha! And a complete house clean before I go in.

I've ordered gel ice wraps, a stool for the shower and some plastic bags. I am quite lucky to have a walk in shower so can sit with my legs out until the stiches come out.

Wishing you a great recovery

xx

• Posted

Not sure about an angel but I do have the other half lol 

xx

• Posted

Wow I think that’s brave, I don’t see you returning to work that soon thou! I would do one at a time honestly because you will have a very hard time walking! 
    • Posted

There are a lot more people having both done than I initially thought. So hopefully not such much of a silly idea as I first thought!
    • Posted

I didn’t know that good luck! Its not too bad yet but my stitches come out 2 moro and I’m scared! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.