Double Trouble

Posted , 8 users are following.

I now have less than 2 weeks until I have both feet done at the same time! I am starting to panic about the whole ordeal neutral Any tips on surviving the first couple of weeks would be greatly appreciated.

Marie

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Marie,

I am 4 weeks post op bunionectomy and hammer toe correction on both feet. In total 8 out of 10 toes were worked on, with stitches and 4 pins to keep toes in place. It really hasn't been that painful at all and I am such a baby as far as pain goes! I was dreading having the pins out last Friday, but it didn't hurt one bit, the stitches were worse.

I was prescribed tapentadol medication, but they are all still securely wrapped in the box and totally unused. I got by with paracetamol and ibuprofen for 4 days and haven't taken any pain meds at all since. I wouldn't have done it any other way, as for me one recovery period makes a lot more sense than 2. They will inject a local anaesthetic into you feet before you wake up, which will numb the feet for the first 24-48hrs. Such a god send! Start to take paracetamol and ibuprofen the day after the surgery, so it's already kicked in before the the pain block wears off.

I was given post op darco shoes and found I was quite capable of walking back and forth to the bathroom etc without any walking aids. I didn't push my luck and do to much for the first 2 weeks (and I still know when to stop now), but each day I tried to do a few more steps then the day before. Too much to soon will delay recovery and probably make things worse. You know your own body and will know when enough is enough. It is still important to do a little exercise for 5-10 minutes ever hour.

My main advice would be:

- Make as many freezer meals as you can beforehand. My partner was at home with me for the first few days, but after a day at work, it took the pressure off him to cook, clean, wash etc. I also made up some green smoothies to and froze those in zip lock bags. They kept up my fruit and veg intake which is good for the immune system and also good inflammation. Add chia and flax seeds for omega 3 too. They're also healthy and yummy!!

- Buy some snack foods that you can keep by the bedside, or quickly grab from the kitchen if you're peckish. My husband made me pack lunches and put sandwiches in a cool bag, along with about 4 litres of water so I wouldn't run out. By day 5 I was able to sit for long enough at the kitchen bench and make my my own, but those easy to grab snacks are super handy. eg bananas, muesli bars, nuts (Almonds are very good for inflammation) 

- Drink lots for hydration and so you need the toilet, which will make you get up every hour and move those feet. As a rule 5-10 minutes every hour.

- Prepare a table next to the sofa/bed where you will be spending most of your time. Make sure you have handy your medication/electronic chargers etc and prepare yourself with books, magazines, movies. 

- The hospital supplied me with waterproof covers, which were large enough to go over the shoes. Use tape to secure them and I also found a piece cut off a stocking would hold them tightly in place once I had run out of tape! I brought a cheap shower chair from gumtree and used another chair outside the shower to keep feet elevated and dry. Showers were the worst thing for me throughout the process. It feels great afterwards to be clean and fresh, but it was quite an uncomfortable experience!! As soon as the stitches are out and you can get the feet a little wet, it's so much better. 

- I have been ordering shopping online. Again it's one less thing for my husband to do and one more thing to keep me busy! 

-Prepare your husband!!!!! This is very important. You will need as much rest as you can get, he will be running after your every need for the first week at least and he will soon realise how much you do around the house haha! Learn to let the little things go. I have been staring at 3-4 dropped curtain hooks for the last 3 weeks. This would have usually driven me crazy, but I am living with it right now!! You will get emotional and it is ok to cry. I am usually very active and on the go constantly. I'm not necessarily bored, but not being able to go out for a walk, or go and get myself a coffee without some assistance is beginning to drive me crazy. We have hired a wheelchair now, so we're able to go on little trips. Just remember it isn't going to be forever. 

-Embrace the small positive steps of your progression. I wrote a little daily diary so now if I feel down in the dumps, I am able to look back and see how far I've come in a short time.

- As you are aware ELEVATE!! The throbbing sensation if feet are down for long is incredible and often feels like the foot will explode. Keep feet above the heart and it will immediately take the pressure off. Also look after your back. You will have to lie and sleep on your back, with feet elevated for the next few weeks. I have always had trouble with my back and it helps to place a small rolled up towel in the lower region to take the pressure off if it gets to sore. 

- i brought some t shirt dresses that I could quickly chuck on without having to get my feet into shorts. My favourite is an XXXL mens t shirt though. It's super comfy and I might get some more just because!!

Best of luck with your recovery, you're definitely doing the right thing having both done at the same time and remember to be kind to yourself throughout. It will be totally worth it in the end. I have been hiding my feet away for so long and now I can't stop looking at them! biggrin xx

• Posted

Make sure your podiatrist prescribes a cold therapy machine.
    • Posted

If you don’t mind me asking.. what kind of machine is that?
  • Posted

Hi all!

Sorry for the late reply.....I didn't receive any notifications!

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I definitely feel better now I'm more prepared.

Saw my consultant today and he has now decided to pin and bone shave on both feet, I thought this would freak me out but actually feeling quite calm. Roll on Tuesday lol

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.