Doubts about removing gallbladder

Posted , 16 users are following.

It is 6 months since I became really unwell and everything has so far been ruled out other than gallstones, hiatal hernia and a small diverticulum found on scans and scopes. Everything else has been found as normal although I have constant nausea, bloating, stomach ache and cannot eat many foods. I often get sharp upper left sided pain (nothing found to explain) and tight mid chest pains, likewise. I feel like I have bad flu, aching all over, headaches every day, too many symptoms to list. I'm back on the list after hospital cancelled first date to have Gb out as Drs all say it is the only cause that could be behind all this so it is a case of eliminating it, also maybe I could have some form of IBS (which I doubt as bowels have not really been a problem). The only abnormalities on blood tests are low vit D (taking it now) and some slightly raised liver enzymes but they say those are nothing to worry about and could be due lots of things. Reading of all the things that can go wrong after Gb surgery, I'm worried that this op will not solve the problems since I don't have the major attacks ppl talk about with right side pain, more constant chronic pain all across middle and twinges in different places, worse after eating. I don't want to risk any more issues as I am worn out already. It seems that post op complications are quite common (I know more ppl post who have issues than those who are OK) but medical research papers found up to 40% get some form of after probs which seems quite high. And there is no real improvement in GI symptoms for many of these, mainly the reduction of severe attacks, although some folk on here still say they have same pain after.

On the other hand, I've got known multiple stones (no size mentioned) and the scan said contracted Gb which I take to mean scarred and I am over 60 so if a stone moved in future it could be more risky to have emergency treatment and op then, than elective surgery while younger. But the risk is supposed to be low. My Mum is in late 80s and has had stones for years - she does also get some digestive issues but not attacks.

If I had typical attacks I would have no doubt, but as my symptoms vary, I just wonder. I've seen a couple of doctors now, one who said it is up to me the other thinks it is the way forward. But they do not seem to be willing to look into anything else until the Gb is out and ruled out. I keep changing my mind as to whether this is a good idea. I've tried remedies (not flushes as don't agree with those) and diet and complementary therapies, they help symptoms a bit but the underlying condition is still there and life is on hold. Has anyone any thoughts?

1 like, 108 replies

108 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Glad that the consultation helped you in making your mind up Cynthia - that in itself must at least be a sort of relief for you. Hope that you now get a date for your surgery sorted out quickly.
  • Posted

Hi!  Have you been tested for celiac disease?  I had very similar symptoms - strange pain and GI symptoms, elevated liver enzymes, vitamin deficiencies, etc.  Finally after 10 years discovered the celiac.  Sometimes doctors don't look for it when doing endoscopies.

• Posted

Hi Mary, Yes, one of the GPs at the surgery suggested it and it came back negative. However, I am avoiding gluten and I've got lactose free milk anyway for tea as I have read that the test may not be 100% and in any case these are both hard to digest so it is not a bad idea to try without and also for a good length of time, as I know they can be associated with Gb troubles.

Bread was always a trigger for hearburn and indigestion for me since I had my babies years ago, so I have tended to avoid it except very rarely. The only food test that showed positive was eggs which I don't eat now as they are a gb trigger but I used to like them, as never ate a lot of meat.

Thanks for your reply and take care.

• Posted

Quick update if anyone is following this thread: I was informed today that my op date is cancelled for the 5th time!!!! No new date. I could change hospital- there are pros and cons about that but I'm really not sure whether I have much faith in the current one actually doing this op now. Mulling it over and cannot quite believe why this is all happening, I know the NHS has problems but 5 times ??

• Posted

Oh, my gosh, Cynthia!  That is just too much! After this incident, you might as well try the other NHS hospital, as all these cancellations are effectively putting you at the end of the line again, anyway!  So sorry to learn this!  xxx Lynda 
    • Posted

Thanks Lynda. Yes, I've about had enough of current one and I have seen the consultant of the other privately for my second opinion, so am already in the system so to speak. All this chopping and changing is disorientating and it has held me back in so many ways, unable to plan anything or look for new job etc. But I don't need to tell anyone on here I'm sure xx

• Posted

Hi Cynthia that is absolutely diabolical. I think you should consider making an official complaint now and definitely contact your local CCG. We all know hospitals are struggling but this is not an excuse. Five cancellations is way too many with months and months of waiting to boot. That has a massive impact on someone's life. As you know, I was in the situation where I didn't know whether to sit tight or bail out elsewhere. I did not regret bailing out, I only regretted not doing it sooner. The hospital will keep doing this while they can keep getting away with it. Your local CCG needs to be aware of this. They can only do something about it if they know. Remember your rights are enshrined in law. You've been messed about for far too long.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia I've only just read your post and just find this absolutely disgusting. What part of the country are you in? I was put on the list in may so who knows how long the waiting list is here

I had a tumour in my salivary gland for ages and this was cancelled. It was so bad it had wrapped around my facial nerves. In the end as it was a tumour I paid privately. Thankfully it was benign but it cost me £6000. Out of curiosity I enquired how much the gb op was and that also is £6000. There's no way I can do it again. But I'm beginning to wonder if they keep cancelling in the hope people will go privately. Do keep us informed of your progress in this ongoing nightmare you're going through

So sorry for you.

• Posted

Bless you, Jill, thanks for thinking of me. I'm sorry that you were also let down for your tumour and had to pay in the end.

I'm in the West Midlands, where are you?

The other hospital has sent letter and got things in motion right away, though will have to go to back of their list as am going in as NHS, all being well.With hindsight, it would have been worth blowing savings and going private back at the start of the year, I've lost out anyway not being well enough to work, but I was told only about 2 months wait! You may be right that they hope we will give up.

Hopefully things will move on smoothly for us both now.....

• Posted

Hi Cynthia just to say I hope you get on better with a different hospital now. I'm in Worcestershire and the surgeon told me I would have the op in June. I really found that hard to believe and when I phoned his secretary she just laughed and said no way. He said it would be done at Kidderminster as they very rarely cancelled!! Anyway will let you know if I hear anything. Keep in touch and fingers crossed for you.

• Posted

Update: If anyone is still following! I'm now on the list for a different hospital and it will likely be late autumn before I actually get an operation date. They only let you know 2 weeks in advance. Not much help really for planning life and work is it?

So all in all, will have taken a year from first being really ill. After over 11 years with the gallstones sitting there, possibly causing various digestive symptoms. I'm going to the hospital with the consultant I saw for the second opinion, but added to their NHS list as due to redundancy, did not want to use up any more money as the job situation remains uncertain. What a dreadful year. Thankfully, although I am not back to health, my symptoms are more manageable - have lived on a few "safe" foods and lots of supplements.

Other than that, my fall last year has caused ongoing lasting sinus and post head injury problems, so I'm trying to get GP to take these seriously now as they are bothering me even more than the gallstones/ hernia.

I'd just like to say, if anyone is in a similar situation, seeking a second opinion has really helped me, although unfortunately the first hospital cancelled so many dates and moving has set the timing back. If I had known this would happen, I would have either gone private and blown the savings at the start (as it may have helped me get my life back and maybe working again etc) or not naively believed the hospital dates I kept being given only to be cancelled each time. Hindsight is easy though.

Hope all those with or without their gallbladders are doing well and getting the treatment they deserve, it is sometimes a battle to be sure!

• Posted

Hi, Cynthia!  So glad to get this update from you! I am hopeful that you'll get your sugery over and done with, finally.  I was not aware that you had had a fall.  What happened?  

Best of luck to you xx

Lynda

• Posted

Thanks, hope you are well Lynda. Yes, I had a bad fall in March 15, was a lovely sunny day and went on a hike in  a country park thinking it good for health. Well it did not turn out that way - I was on a viewing platform by a lake when my foot caught up in loose wire among the leaves and debris and I fell right on my face! Smashed nose, front teeth and all front of body as did not have time to save myself. A very pretty sight and expensive in terms of dental work and time off work. Had concussion as well. Unfortunately, being a country park, we could not get anyone for legal liability, so no help with costs at all, a warning to those who go walking in the countryside in the UK!

I feel this trauma set off my current health issues as I was not too bad before and it has dented my confidence. However, we have to get on with things, don't we. Thanks for your concern and keeping an interest.

All the best to you too. x Cynthia x

• Posted

Hi, Cynthia!  So sorry to learn about your fall.  Many years ago, I fell flat on my right arm and fractured it, coming back from a work errand.  So, now I'm very cautious about walking.  It can only take a few seconds, as you well know, and end in being badly injured.  I hope you keep moving forward, and eventually move past this challenge.  I had a total hysterectomy three weeks ago today in response to a biopsy.  It was a shock, but I am recovering and trying to be prudent and not get impatient with myself.  As I age (I'm 67) I find being cautious gets easier smile.  Please do keep in touch! xxx Lynda

• Posted

Aww, you know what it is like then. I had a recent trip in the garden as well - I think due to my varifocal glasses - I am not fully used to them outside but luckily no bones broke, just bruises. I think I am not safe to be allowed out !!!! Yet I am OK at balance exercises, go figure....

Sorry to hear you have had a hyst - I had one 11yrs ago as they thought it might be something serious but thankfully lab report was a benign dermoid ovarian cyst in the end. The hospital did manage to make a few errors that time, which is why I have moved to another this time - thought time might have improved things there, but it seems not, if my gallbladder saga is anything to go by. However, the op all healed up well and good, not much scarring to show at all. You have to give yourself time I think with a hyst as it takes it out of you, I had the max time off work as I was full time back then and in my 50s. Hope your recovery will all go well Lynda. In a few months with any luck we will both be over all these nasty things and feeling much better. xx

• Posted

Hi, Cynthia!  So good to hear from you.  Sometimes the Patient site won't load on my laptop.  Don't know why.  I am glad, so glad to be done with the hysterectomy!  I have three weeks to go till my next post op appointment with my doctor.  Then, he'll let me know when and how long they need to monitor me.  So, we're both in our 60's.  A lot of living has to happen to get us to that age! smile I hope your operation happens soon!  Please continue to keep in touch!  xxx Lynda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.