Doubts about removing gallbladder

Posted , 16 users are following.

It is 6 months since I became really unwell and everything has so far been ruled out other than gallstones, hiatal hernia and a small diverticulum found on scans and scopes. Everything else has been found as normal although I have constant nausea, bloating, stomach ache and cannot eat many foods. I often get sharp upper left sided pain (nothing found to explain) and tight mid chest pains, likewise. I feel like I have bad flu, aching all over, headaches every day, too many symptoms to list. I'm back on the list after hospital cancelled first date to have Gb out as Drs all say it is the only cause that could be behind all this so it is a case of eliminating it, also maybe I could have some form of IBS (which I doubt as bowels have not really been a problem). The only abnormalities on blood tests are low vit D (taking it now) and some slightly raised liver enzymes but they say those are nothing to worry about and could be due lots of things. Reading of all the things that can go wrong after Gb surgery, I'm worried that this op will not solve the problems since I don't have the major attacks ppl talk about with right side pain, more constant chronic pain all across middle and twinges in different places, worse after eating. I don't want to risk any more issues as I am worn out already. It seems that post op complications are quite common (I know more ppl post who have issues than those who are OK) but medical research papers found up to 40% get some form of after probs which seems quite high. And there is no real improvement in GI symptoms for many of these, mainly the reduction of severe attacks, although some folk on here still say they have same pain after.

On the other hand, I've got known multiple stones (no size mentioned) and the scan said contracted Gb which I take to mean scarred and I am over 60 so if a stone moved in future it could be more risky to have emergency treatment and op then, than elective surgery while younger. But the risk is supposed to be low. My Mum is in late 80s and has had stones for years - she does also get some digestive issues but not attacks.

If I had typical attacks I would have no doubt, but as my symptoms vary, I just wonder. I've seen a couple of doctors now, one who said it is up to me the other thinks it is the way forward. But they do not seem to be willing to look into anything else until the Gb is out and ruled out. I keep changing my mind as to whether this is a good idea. I've tried remedies (not flushes as don't agree with those) and diet and complementary therapies, they help symptoms a bit but the underlying condition is still there and life is on hold. Has anyone any thoughts?

1 like, 108 replies

108 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

This is an older conversation but I felt I would just update on it - have a surgery date now at the end of the month and nerves are certainly kicking in after waiting all this time! It hs been a very long saga and I'm just praying it will have been worthit and things will turn out OK. The support from everyone here has been wonderful as we can feel out on our own when things go wrong, even with good friends and family, they can only take so much talk about surgery etc and we don't want to worry them either. People going through the same thing just know where you are coming from. Have a good Christmas all and I shall update again as to how it all goes.

• Posted

Hi, Cynthia!

Best of luck with your surgery!  Will be thinking about you! Please let me know how it all goes! xx

Lynda

• Posted

HI All , happy New Year to you. I have got a gall stone, at the last scan three years ago it was 9mm. I want to ask for another scan but if I am not in any pain they won't give me one. I get very mild attacks now and again which I can ignore but I have just got over a diverticulitis attack and this is where the problem lies. If I were to have my Gb out I would increase the risk of bowel cancer which runs in my family. I just hope I can keep my Gb. Earlier on in this discussion someone's mother was in her 80s with stones so I hope that there is hope for me. 

• Posted

Hi, Happy new year. I hope you will be lucky if you keep your gallbladder, We are all different, very much so where gallbladders are concerned, so you cannot always assume from other's experiences that you will be the same.

?I started the New year minus my gb finally removed after a year of symptoms almost daily and lots of struggles and doubts, delays, cancelled ops etc. There is no going back now so can only hope for the best, the stones had been there a long time, no diet or remedy had got ridof them or cured my symptoms, other than a slight easing of some symptoms.

?I could not continue like that without taking the advice of the 2 consultants and other doctors who all flet the gb was partly at least to blame for my troubles, but of course, they did explain that a % of people will not gain relief due to other underlying causes, or complications.

?I will update when healing has had time to take place. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia. My reply was deleted by the moderator, I don't know why. I hope you get on well with your health now. All the best or the future.

• Posted

Only you can decide which is the way forward for you.

Everyone is different.

The Operation is a very simple procedure these days in and out within the day and a couple of weeks off work and time to adjust to eating differently.

I had my gall bladder out 7/12/16 so it is still early days for me and adjusting to what agrees and what doesnt.

But things could of got worse if i had not had my gall bladder removed .... so i dont regret it.

Good Luck and i hope you and your GP can come up with the right answer for you x

• Posted

Thanks, I had the surgery finally at the end of the year and am recovering quite well. It is best to introduce different foods gradually. Good luck to you too . x
  • Posted

Hi i found out ive got gallstones about 2 months ago because of a major gallstone attack i had 3 months ago that has left me feeling so ill ever since. Ive had all the symptoms you have had the pain and even the flu type symptoms i wrote on here today about all my symptoms because i was having so many and am feeling so unwell. Ive been in and out of A&E about 7 times and in hospital twice and same as you my liver is not right because of the gallstones and i was really worried about it but my doctor said it should be ok after surgery. So im now on the emergency list to remove my gallbladder as i feel so ill every day and hope this will help. im worried aswell as ive heard so many bad storys but im going to take the chance and get mine out because i feel so ill anyway. hope you feel better soon and keep me updated take care from carmella.

• Posted

Hi carmella, Hope your op will go well. I'm now 4 weeks post op and so far so good. The actual surgery was not as bad as I imagined. I'm sorry to hear you seem to be going through similar symptoms as I had for a long time waiting for the surgery. Best wishes for a good recovery x

• Posted

Hi cynthia im so happy your surgery went well hope your feeling alot better now its been done,and thankyou hopefully i wont have to wait long for mine now and hopefully everything will go ok. i will update you once i have had it done take care from carmella x
  • Posted

Hi

​In case anyone still follows this old post, I thought I should update it.

​I had the surgery after many months of waiting, dates cancelled by hospital and moved hospital in the end. It turns out that it is a very fortunate thing that I did decide to have the surgery as the post op pathology report came back that the gallbladder was in bad shape with dysplasia that could have developed into cancer if left.

​Only the stones and the fact that the gb was contracted were seen on scans and tests and my case was not seen as urgent at any time, though I always felt something was not right, just did not know if it was actually due to the gallbladder, since I had some non typical symptoms and other conditions could have caused some of them.

​Thanks to everyone on this forum for sound advice and support, it is great when you just need to share with someone who understands.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia. I have been watching for updates and glad to hear all is going well for you. You had a ridiculously long wait. I bet you're glad it's over now. It's such a relief isn't it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.