Down the rabbit hole

Posted , 10 users are following.

My newest health obsession is my neck. I hurt my neck by twisting my head and shortly after I had my first migraine with aura. Ironically, I was looking left and squinting when all three of my auras happened. So, there must be a connection...right? right? As I have droned on about on this board, I have many visual disturbances. What's the healthiest thing to do at 5am when you have been awake for two hours due to adrenal surges, that's right, scour the internet. I am now convinced that my slight neck injury is the root cause of all of my symptoms. Why do our addled brains do this to ourselves? Why can't I obsess about cleaning the house or better yet....going back to work!

I'm usually not into pseudoscience, but has anyone tried EFT tapping? It might be hokey, but I tried it a few times and I do feel a bit calmer when doing it. At this point, who cares if it is a placebo.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Staci, right there with you with the neck pain. I am reading... heal your headache...picked up a used copy of it. Migraine screws with us big time...neck pain is migraine irritating the nerves. I have arthritis in my neck...I always thought it was the issue, but I guess not. I have never heard of EFT...I thought you meant like in banking...electronic funds transfer...ha, ha. but, if it is free then have at it! I will keep you updated on my nortripyline journey. oh, I also picked up a cervical pillow for my car, keeps my neck from bobbling all over. hang in there...sucks, I KNOW!

• Posted

Lou, we are two peas in a perimenopause pod. I just ordered Heal Your Headache. How I am going to read it with these blurry eyeballs...I don't know! Oh, geez! I don't even know what EFT stands for. HaHa! I saw it on Reddit and then looked it up. It's been on talk shows like Dr. Oz and Megyn Kelly (don't watch either). I actually never really have neck pain. Although, I do tend to rub my neck when nervous or have a menstrual migraine. I just happened to injure my neck by twisting. And, it was at the base of my skull where they say migraine auras start...so I went on a mental tangent.

I'm scared or those damn things and I guess I am just searching for a cause other than a faulty brain.

• Posted

hello ladies,

what are your visual issues? going through rhe whole jaw thing too as well.

• Posted

Shana,

I think we chatted about this in a different post. I had a migraine with aura two months ago and since then I have had 24/7 blurry vision, flashes, light sensitivity, wavy lines, jumping patterns, after images, trailing, weird periphery, etc.. I wonder if some (all) of it can be attributed to anxiety.

• Posted

Like Staci, I have the blurry vision and have had it for the last 18 months. As well as difficulty focusing my eyes and sensitivity to light and I really struggle in large stores with their lighting. I also have dry eyes and blepharitis sometimes too. I have had extensive eye testing and nothing has been found, so my neurologist says chronic migraine which has been brought on by hormonal changes (peri).

• Posted

yes we have sorry. I believe its definitely Perimenopause and Menopause as well as could be anxiety. I have the visual disturbances but I also have Post Concussion Syndrome as well. Which can cause foggyness as well a myriad of symptoms which can overlap perimenopause.

• Posted

I have similar eye disturbances including Snowy/Fuzzy Vision which I also have Post Concussion Syndrome which also comes with its own visual disturbances. Have to tell if it is one or the other or both together.

• Posted

Shana,

I have the snow/fuzz and do not have concussion syndrome. It all started after the aura. I read about visual snow and the majority of suffers said it happened after and aura and/or a panic attack. That's what started me to think that maybe my vision issues are anxiety related. I also saw that a few people said it happened after a head injury too.

• Posted

Staci, my neck occasionally has a spasm and I have also been having a few visual issues, one for a long time - ocular migraines - and another for a few weeks - flashes in the periphery of my left eye, and shooting pain in that eye. I have had a CT scan which showed no issues in brain or eye, so I am not really sure what brought the latest eye problems on, although they started shortly after I started taking a beta blocker (which I have now discontinued).

I totally understand the health anxiety - I have never suffered like this in all my life and need it to end soon! I would suggest you try the chiropractic route - I have had good results from that in the past for back injury. I have also recently been trying EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) and have found that it does take a bit of the anxiety away, but needs to be done more often, I think. I also recently had a reflexology session and that also helped to calm some of my anxiety.

Another thing I have tried is moving our wi-fi router further away from where we sit in the evening watching TV. I read about the frequency being emitted from them being a problem to some people, and since it's been moved I have not had any night-time palpitations at stupid hours in the morning, which I have been having for a couple of years, on and off (and for which I was prescribed the beta blockers).

• Posted

DH59,

Have you always had ocular migraines or just since peri/meno? I never knew they existed, so when I had my first one, I panicked. It has completely taken over my life. I just can't get past the fear of it happening again. How do you manage?

• Posted

Staci, my ocular migraines came on all of a sudden one day as I was doing some sewing. Like you, I panicked. I was not aware at that time that I was in peri/meno until hot flushes started a while later and I discovered all the other symptoms that come as part of this nightmare. At first the ocular migraines were months apart, sometimes over a year, so I never really paid them much thought, although I did mention it to an optician who didn't really give me any help other than there was nothing could be done about them. This past couple of years I have had them most weeks, sometimes four or five a week!

My sister had a stroke last year and told me that she had been having ocular migraines for a while, so that did not help my anxiety, but at least now I have the clear CT scan to reassure me. There isn't a lot I can do about them, and I can never tell when one is about to come - I just have to wait until the flashing has passed over my eye and cleared out to the side. I don't think they are exclusively a menopause symptom, as I know a man that has them, so I am not sure what is happening there!

I hope you can get some peace of mind and try not to worry too much about things. I agree that these things can take over all your waking thoughts, and it is exhausting. I was fed up of thinking about health problems all day, what with not sleeping due to the palpitations, and this new eye problem I have with the flashing lines, but I have found that meditation helps, and also the reflexology session I had was very relaxing. Now my palpitations have gone (I hope!) I feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel, so it has put me in a better frame of mind and I can get through a day with very little worry.

It takes time, but I am sure you will reach a point where you start to feel that there is some hope. Take care.

Diane x

• Posted

DH,

As soon as I read sewing, I realized I had conversed with you before...my apologies. I hope your sister is better now. Refresh my memory, are you post menopausal now? I am hoping the ocular migraines subside as many doctors have told me they would. I could not image having them several times per week. Once a year I could handle...maybe. Thank you for sharing as it greatly reduces my anxiety.

• Posted

No problem Staci. My sister is still not 100% but not as bad as she was. I dont know where I am with menopause as I don't have periods to tell me what's happening, having had a hysterectomy years ago. I thought I was getting over the ocular migraines last year as I went five months without one, then they returned with a vengeance! Only had two this week!! Glad to have helped you. Anxiety is sometimes worse than the original problem. I listen to meditation recordings, and practice deep slow breathing, and they have

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.