Doxycycline has ruined my life!

Posted , 68 users are following.

Hi all. I started a 2 week cycle of doxy for a tick bite - no other symptoms just had a tick in my leg. I was put on 100mg x 2 daily for 2 weeks. 4 days in I thought I was going to pass out and I called the pharmacy and they said to stick on it. I made it to day 8. Since then I’ve had sever heartburn, chicest and back pain, burning in throat and now diarrhea. )sorry, gross) anyway went to my pcp and 2 GI docs. I was put on a prescription Prilosec ( that caused the toilet issues I think) and probiotics (which I already taken previously) and have had blood work, given samples (fun) and had an endoscopy last week. ( Heaven forbid they call me with results of the biopsies ) anyway all blood stool and various other tests were ok. I was told take magnesium ( more toilet issues) and otc antacids vs the stronger ex versions.  Anybody else going through this kind of mess from that devil drug doxycycline ? I’m a wreck and feel like this will never end. I should have yanked the tick and moved on with my life - but noooo I go to a clinic and get prescribed the antibiotic formulated by Satan  himself !

1 like, 82 replies

82 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No offense hete..but it could have just started underlying issue you may have had without showing symptoms... for now fight it with positive attitude and probiotics..

Bland food and plenty of green tea....

Best of luck

• Posted

If you feel that your life is being ruined by medical practitioners then you should consult with a medical malpractice attorney.
  • Posted

You should not have been told to continue with this drug since you were reacrting badly to it.  You should have been recommended something else.
  • Posted

Almost the same story with me but I have immense pain and no burning. Antibiotics are poison and should only be used in extreme cases and even then should be taken with care. Antibiotics dont suit everyone. Could you tell me why you were told to take magnesium?
  • Posted

unfortunately these are the common side effects of this medication. I am currently on day 18 of a 21 day course for Lyme disease... these side effects are short term, Lyme disease symptoms last a lot longer and do more damage. Hang in there!!!

• Edited

sorry bout that. I am currently 10 days on doxy and have same symptoms but i already take prilosec so not so bad. i suggest grinning and bearing it. This too shall pass. Take the prilosec faithfully and the bleeding will stop. Be glad there is a treatment for the Devil Lyme Disease. i believe that ticks and mosquitos were designed by Satan himself and have no place in the ecosphere except as bat food. Let bats figure out another food source.

• Posted

I read that while on doxy, you should not take magnesium or any antacids or foods containing calcium. Just thought you’d like to know that.

• Edited

This is incorrect information. You are correct that antacids are not supposed to be taken with doxycycline. Antacids are medications such as Tums or Rolaids. Prilosec is in a class of medications called Proton pump inhibitors and is completely safe to take with doxycycline. I'm aware this thread is old but felt better letting people know. I take Nexium daily and was prescribed doxycycline. Also if anyone wants to know of any drug interactions, visit Drugs.com and you can find drug interactions very easily on this site.

• Posted

That's interesting. I am in Ireland and too have just had a tick removed from my thigh.. well most of it anyway.. tiny bit the head can't be got out, but the site around it looks fine now 48 hours later.

Here however, as a prophylaxis I just take one single doxycyline tab within 72 hours of the bite. As I normally react poorly to all but one antibiotic ending up vomiting them out, I came online to read about doxycycline before taking the one tab. And found this site with your post. I'm not on any meds for anything.

Is that the normal prophylactic dose in your country... you didn't have the classic Lyme's rash or anything?

• Posted

i have the same issues, but I believe the worst of it is from whatever it was the tick put in me. its killing it all and making me sick. I have chron's so its pretty bad. that little tick messed me up bad

• Posted

Hi everyone I feel your pain I was put on doxycycline in December for ocular rosacea, thinking it was only for a couple months in March went back to eye doctor and was told I had to to take it twice a day from now on... I take other meds and have to schedule around them now because of the doxycycline.

• Posted

Hi,

My teenage daughter has just completed a 14 course of Doxycycline to treat a rash/ acne on her face. It seems to have made things worse. We have returned to the GP who is at a loss. my daughter also has a rash on the palm of her hands since taking the meds.

The rash is confined to her face/ neck and hands.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Posted

I did just read something about using this drug for acne, and that it does get worse before it gets better, and also that doctors prescribe it to be used for three months for it to be effective. it said it can take this long for it to work, so mention this to your doctor, get the prescription refilled and hang in there and maybe she will get rid of it for life. Best of luck.

• Posted

has she been in the sun? you are suppose yo avoid sun at all cost while on this antibiotic as it will cause a blistering rash on areas exposed.

• Posted

did you ever find a cure it has done dame to my daughter permanent angry red marks all over face an dermatologist says its permanent skin damage any suggestions welcome , they assume sun may have caused it but its been winter an spring in uk so not much sun

• Posted

I am familiar with your thinking of when to worry about the sun. Actually the sun can cause a rash anytime of year, be it rain or shine. The Sun's rays are very powerful and the atmosphere is pretty thin from what I've heard. I hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.