Dr. apt.

Posted , 6 users are following.

so I made a Dr. apt for next week.  same clinic but different Dr. because I have concerns that I dont want to wait any longer.  so a few things I plan to discuss are:

testing for Hypothyroidism(symptom checklist)

checking my estrogen levels

changing to clob oitment (still have cream) seems i often have rawness

possibly asking for topical estrogen (thoughts on this)

bringing up PTLS(symptom checklist)

small rough raised area with white skin tag thing( anyone have a clue to this) not painful 

any other suggestions that I should bring up

thanks

Shari

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ask for Epaderm or similar emolient moisturiser/skin cleanser that you can wash with.  Never ever use scented soaps or gels etc.  I never use soap at all.  Good plan you have to go armed with questions and requests.  Take Dr Goldsteins webinair details with you so that your GP can research on your behalf.  It might help her understand your concerns.  Good luck.
    • Posted

thank you,  I did get a moisterizing body wash for sensitive skin no fragrence, its like lotion. wash with just warm water most of the time. one Dr. suggested Eucerin cream but I was hesitant so never bought it. And yes I intend to bring info on Dr. Goldstein. 
    • Posted

cool As my daughter would say, that's cool.  Epaderm is a thick grease like moisturiser that you can use to moisturise and clean as it emulsifies with water.  It is a good barrier against urine too.  Others use coconut oil (also a solid thick ointment) and other similar products. Good luck.
    • Posted

I just bought some coconut oil. biggrin  it is really great for lubrication and i did use it once just to see how it works for moisturizing,  good stuff.  also bought aquaphor healing ointment but its active ingrediant is 40% petrolatum so wondering if better to just use plain vasaline thats 100%
    • Posted

Coconut oil is also suppose to be antibacterial or antibiotic or something good for us.  He he sorry its getting late and I am tired.  I know some use vaseline but I was told that Epaderm is better.  I think it is what we all find suits us best.  Moisturising is the key though definately.  When my ls is not active is when I am really well moisturised.  If I get lazy and don't do it, it quickly gets active.  I'm off to bed now.  Good luck
    • Posted

I bought paladin diaper rash ointment on the recommendation of another site - not crazy about it. I also bought emu oil, not crazy about that either. Then I bought a tube of Vaseline, and it has given me the most relief. When I'm really irritated, I mix lidocaine ointment with the Vaseline and apply that....

I've never used soap down there, but with all this goop, I've been feeling yucky so I bought a bar of Dove for sensitive skin and actually like it. 

Medicine wise, the Clobetasol wasn't working, so my new dermatologist prescribed Protopic. Lots of side effects, and the dosage was too high (twice/day) so I stopped for a few days and now am using it every 2 days or so. 

That's what's working for me, I hope it helps someone else 😊

• Posted

I was not crazy about the diaper rash stuff I bought either. I do find that the vasaline or aquaphor ointment relieves the irritated raw feeling. once I get this flare under control I may try epaderm. Have to get that online.  I am wondering if the clob cream is irritating me though.  Hopefully I can get the ointment since I just refilled the cream. 
    • Posted

My clob cream prescription had 12 repeats on it. I'd just refilled it for the first time before I saw Dr. G's presentation. The pharmacist was happy to give me ointment and name brand, not generic. I wasted a tube ($24) but that's nothing for something you buy once a year. The Dermovate brand was twice as expensive.
    • Posted

My doctor is on vacation and I have to wait a couple of weeks to get the ointment sad  Just called the pharmacy here and they won't do what yours did--needs a doctor's okay to switch to ointment (even though she asked me originally which I'd prefer and I unknowingly answered cream). Trying to remember why it might be best to get non-generic.  Was it because there's less irritating carriers/fillers to the steroid?   
    • Posted

A number of women have said Dermovate brand is better than generic Clobetasol. It costs twice as much, so if you have insurance it might not be covered. My pharmacist didn't let me switch the unopened tube for a different one. I had to toss the new tube of clob. Anyway, I really think the difference is subtle. I want to do what I can, but it's not crucial. In those two weeks you can start pre-soaking, which I think was a more important piece of advice than the ointment part of what Dr. Goldstein said.
    • Posted

Yes, I was waiting for the ointment to start soaking, but now that I know it's going to be a while before I get it, I need to start and not wait to soak. Thanks for your input.  
  • Posted

Hi Shari--A few other items that my practitioners sometimes test for include vitamin D levels (we want to have enough Vitamin D to help autoimmune disorders), iron/ferritan levels, T3/T4/Reverse T3 and TSH levels, general metabolic panel, C-reactive protein, homocysteine, autoimmune testing like Anti-Nuclear antibodies and Sed rate, and DHEA levels (helps with autoimmune disorders).  Thought I'd throw these out in case you think any might be helpful or relevant.  Good luck at your appointment!  --Suzanne 
    • Posted

Yes, I always forget to take my vitamin  D, need to set an alarm. I will write it all down and ask. Its a state clinic so they never seem to test things like a private dr does. I will try to push it. I have had low iron levels before. I  will keep my fingers crossed that this dr will be helpful. Thank you
    • Posted

Hi Shari--Oh, I forgot to mention that I just started on the clob cream a couple of weeks ago and am trying to get it refilled also with the ointment instead. I have noticed that the cream leaves me feeling raw and irritated.  Is this the feeling that it gives you?  --Suzanne
    • Posted

I think it's the cream that has given me 'ring of fire' all year. And I kept applying it to that big are around my anus hoping to calm it. It's always worse the day after I have a big dessert. So, I'm optimistic that between cutting a lot of the white sugar out of my day and using the ointment, that area may get really good.
    • Posted

I definitely feel better in many ways on a clean diet (someone told me the other day that I looked "radiant"--how about that!).  Wish I'd known that years ago, as it may have prevented a lot of these autoimmune issues. Looking forward to seeing if the ointment causes less irritation than the cream (ironic!).  Let me know how it goes for you, Morrell!  --Suzanne
    • Posted

Yes it feels irritated and always have one are that feels raw but not sure if it the cream or what. I do know one instance I had a bad raw area and it stung bad if the clob touched it.  It just doesnt seem to be working as well anymore, but maybe due to not using it daily during a flare. Still want to get the ointment to see if its better for me. Hope we all have better luck with it.
    • Posted

Radiant has a nice ring to it! How motivating! I find it helps to think of eating junk food as throwing gasoline on a fire. It's going to come out in urine and faeces and it's going to burn. Yesterday I was surrounded by a houseful stuffing their faces with sweets that our company had brought with them. My barely-sweetened pie went untouched. But I was not tempted to eat one bit more than the absolute minimum just to be polite.

I expect it will be a while before I notice a difference with the ointment, but I am optimistic about the improved absorption after a twenty minute soak. Which, come to think of it, it's time to have right now.

• Posted

It is SO HARD to not eat what everyone else eats!  One of my sons (both have been diagnosed also with celiac disease in the last couple of years) finds it extremely unfair that he has to eat differently than his friends.  And eating in restaurants can be so difficult.  But, I've told him that with autoimmune issues (and he also has had psoriasis), we aren't hardy enough to be resiliant like others who are healthier--they can be harder on their bodies and bounce back in a way that we can't always do.  It's no fair!  But I'm at the stage of life now where I would rather be healthy than eating for fun (and I've eaten enough sugar in my past to last me for a lifetime).  I have accepted that whole foods are more what we were designed to eat and that modern life has been very hard on our bodies--which is probably why we have autoimmune issues (a modern problem that is exponentially increasing in frequency).  In other words, I eat to live now (rather than for fun), and I'm actually enjoying learning to like real, whole food (hurray!).  It's been quite a journey toward accepting these changes (long-term rather than short-term gratification), and as I said, it's really been great seeing my health improve a lot. I feel better and a number of my autoantibodies have gone away (e.g., thyroid antibodies).  Now, I just need to heal this LS stuff!  I'm learning to find fun in other places than in food--it's not been easy but it really feels worth it.  And eating real food can be fun, too!  
    • Posted

Sorry, Morrell, if my last post sounds preachy--I don't mean for it to.  This has been quite a journey for me!  --Suzanne
    • Posted

Thats lovely Suzanne...and inspiring, thank you.

You know I've been thinking about this and that not only is the methodology more likely to lead to long term health through the avoidance of toxins in increasingly contaminated food...(is this  a Noah's Ark process??)....but also rather than seeing ourselves as 'gluten sensitive' in a negative way perhaps we all, including your children, might feel more encouraged if we were to see ourselves as being 'gluten perceptive'...? . In other words capable of early discernment. Our bodies are discriminating appropriately. There's nothing wrong ....infact things are very much right. This is an appropriate reaction!! (Attribution of the concept to Sayer Ji...wording 'gluten perceptive' my own'...!!). xx

• Posted

Hi Marey--I love Sayer Ji and his website!  So much good info!  That's an interesting way to view it--not too far off of the 'canaries in the coal mine idea."  Perhaps we are the first to sense the disruptions in our environments (external environment as well as internal/food envionment), and many of these charges that "civilization" have brought have led us away from robust health. By the way, I noticed your post times--are you getting any sleep?  Thanks for all of your great support!  --Suzanne
    • Posted

Whoops!  Meant "changes" not "charges!"
    • Posted

Tee Hee touchee ....you got me! I was up late last night but have a later start today...tho light woke me and here I am!

No no not the canary in the coal mine at all....the canaries die! We're the ones who'll SURVIVE the anti nutrition apocalypse!

• Posted

You WERE up late last night by my calculations!  

So, we'll survive the anti-nutrition apocalypse, huh?  I like that idea!  wink

• Posted

Yes I was up late...and woke early too!

Yeah ...we will survive. Thanks for the like!! Encouraging...helps me get my mental groove back!

Question is ...is it a conspiracy ?  Do the creators eat their own industrial seed oils and GMO's...or secretly enjoy butter and other REAL  substances!!? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.