dr. recommends my using PROLIA for osteoporosis.

Posted , 9 users are following.

i am interested in knowing about anyone's experience using prolia.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I suggest reading about it thoroughly. My doctor tried to give me this medication and read that you have a “high risk spine fracture” when you stop using it.   Sounded like the drug company wants you on it permanently. 
    • Posted

thank you for your input. the long list of serious side effects is more than i feel able to  deal with at this time.
  • Posted

Could you elaborate a little?  Why does your doctor think Prolia is necessary for you?  
  • Posted

I refused it. My sister did not to her regret though! She was desperate for the six months to be up because she felt so dreadful. She has used AA before that. Now she takes none of the drugs for osteoporosis

Please tell us your tscores as my sister was prescribed these drugs when her scores were not too bad. 

I am trying the natural way and will check the effect on my tscores in about a year.

There is much you can do like taking vitamin K2 and checking your vitamin D3 levels. Many people who have broken bones were found to be deficient in magnesium so check those levels too.

A diet including fruit, vegetables, yoghurt, prunes, avocados, bone broth etc is recommended to make sure you are getting all the nutrients your bones need.

There is now a lot of research that you can check online.

Weight bearing exercise like walking is also important. Build up the muscles around your bones to help support your bones as well.

Your body: your decision!

• Posted

My first injection was 8.2.18 so I  can only give you 4 weeks worth of experience, but I am at this stage on it for the next 3 years. My t score is -4. I have no symptoms of osteoporosis  and have not had a broken bone to date, however it is hereditary, I am very small, had an early menopause thanks to endometriosis which 25 years ago was treated with 2 years of a steroid based “wonder drug”, have never smoked, do not drink ...well...only occasionally, am fit, active, do resistance exercises, walk, take all the right supplements, eat healthy...and unfortunately also have PMR and GCA and have been on prednisone since May 2017.   I really didn’t have much choice, I had already been doing everything right for many years. When I asked my rheumatologist if I could just treat the osteoporosis with supplements, eating, healthy lifestyle he said “well it hasn’t worked for you so far has it”. Then explained the incredible risks I was facing if I fall and break a hip\back\etc. I won’t scare you with the statistics the way he did but he knew he had to get the point across as I HATE HATE HATE medication. It is bad enough with the prednisone that I look to be on now for many years as I taper slowly ups and down. 

So..4 weeks in and oddly enough I’ve posted a question on another forum just today, asking if whether my symptoms at the moment could be Prolia related or a resurgence of the PMR/GCA. The symptoms are so similar it is hard to tell. My PMR/GCA has been under control until just 2 weeks ago,  2 weeks after my first Prolia injection, now I find the aches and pains are coming back...albeit no where near the initial debilitating pain etc of PMR. While I don’t have the headache that goes with GCA, I now have a sore temple, as if I’ve been pressing my fingers into it, and it’s there all the time. It’s where I had the biopsy, so not sure whether there is anything playing up there because it’s a weak spot, or just what else it could be. All in all, my symptoms are bearable, but remember I’m not PMR/GCA free so I would expect, given those diseases, I’d be expecting something to come back and bite me after starting 

Prolia. 

• Posted

thank you for responding and i wish you well.  most sincerely, edith
  • Posted

Hi edith i hope you get some replies for your question and not just “opinions” I am sure there are several people who have had first hand experience of this drug both good and bad and this helps you make up your mind. 
    • Posted

thank you for taking time to respond. i appreciate the replies i am receiving.
  • Posted

I hope you get some replies to your actual question edith, rather than peoples opinions based on hearsay. I am sure there are people on this forum who have firsthand experience of this drug, both good and bad, who can help you make a decision. Best wishes
  • Posted

Hi again Edith, 

i just wanted to add that because my osteoporosis was such a shock, and my t score so severe, despite years of doing everything right health wise, that I did do a lot of research on Prolia prior to accepting the need for it...for me. It is a rather newish drug I believe, a Denosumab, and different to most of the others, such as Fosemax, Forteo, AA, etc which are biphosphonates. They work differently. My dr explained that it has less side effects than those in  the past, and is more easily tolerated than some of the others. It depends what your t score is and what you need it to do, but only your dr can advise you on that. It will also depend on what else is going on in your body., if you have other conditions that need treatment. Just remember all drugs will have side effects but that doesn’t mean you will get them. I have been on high dose prednisone starting at 50mg since last May, and it  is one POWERFULL drug, and yes, I have side effects but not many, not severely, and it has gotten me back on my feet and in the land of the living when I was bedridden. If you read the side effects of prednisone you’d run a mile, in fact they are probably much worse than Prolia side effects. I accept that because I still take pred, and now Prolia, that it would be a miracle if I didn’t have some reaction but so far my aches and pains are mild, compared to what I expected, and could be more because I am reducing my pred dose at the same time as introducing the Prolia. My poor little body may just be a little confused at the moment.  GO ME! 💪

• Posted

As Anhaga said, I’d also be interested to know what your t score is, and why your dr recommends it? It’s a pretty specific drug, but you may not get all/any side effects even though the  list is long, and if you do they may be mild. You can only hope. If you have a high t score you may not have much choice. 
    • Posted

my t score is -2.6.. my 10 year risk of a hip fracture is 5.3 , whatever that means.    i am going to try homeopathic products for a year and then decide about prolia. thanks again for your input.
    • Posted

Oh, Edith, your situation is so different from Reeceregan's!  Your t-score is just barely in the osteoporosis range (2.5 is the boundary established somewhat arbitrarily by the WHO some years ago) and your chance of NOT having a fracture is about 94%.  I feel quite confident in advising you to go the natural way.  There are people on the forums with worse results than yours who have been going "natural". i.e., nonmedicated.  That being said, your result does mean you must do something to improve your bone density, and there is a great deal you can do.  

A friend of mine pointed me in the direction of Vitamin K2, also advised me to take up Nordic walking, which I did.  I also do tai chi.  Because I'd lost a lot of weight I bought a weighted walking vest to try to add back a bit of the weight which helps keep bones strong.  It's best to get one which allows you to gradually increase weight by just a couple of ounces at a time.  

Eat lots of leafy greens, and fermented foods are good.  Apparently there's been some recent research showing that yoghurt helps the body to make the best use of calcium supplements confused .

The choice is yours, of course, but please do a lot of reading before you make your decision.  Doctors are rather keen to put us on medicine but in fact not many of us need it, and even those who do should only take it as long as the benefits outweigh the risks, which could be something like two or three years.  I personally think (and this is just my opinion) that the OP drugs, being as strong and potentially dangerous as they are, should be reserved for those who really, really need them, as an intervention which should also be accompanied by as much of the nutrition, basic supplementation, and appropriate exercise as they can manage, which we should all do to keep ourselves as healthy as possible, given that we are all aging....

The friend I mentioned above started out with an osteoporosis diagnosis.  She went completely natural and her successive DXA scans over the years show her gradually improving to osteopenia, and a continual improvement.  I started out with osteopenia, mistakenly told by my doctor I had osteoporosis and it took several months before I found out the truth so I also went through the whole I've got osteoporosis freakout.  In one year, although still on pred at a dose higher than 5 mg for more than half that year, my t-score improved from -2 to -1.6.  Completely because of what I did, no medication.

• Posted

Just saw your'v made your decision, to give yourself a year of the natural method.  All the best - and do let us know how you get on.  I've found caring for my bones does take time, but it gets me out in the fresh air for exercise, and I quite enjoy the tai chi, and so forth.  In fact, just about to go out into some rather chilly sunshine with my Nordic poles!  Cheers!

• Posted

-2.6 is not a big concern actually. You could probably improve that with vitamin K2, some magnesium checking for your vitamin D, a really good diet and some exercise.

I do not know what the hip risk factor is! What is the hip tscore, hopefully it is not - 5.3 because that would be unfortunate.

• Posted

My dexa scan says “relative fracture risk doubles for every 1.0 standard deviation reduction in T score below the mean”. It also states “left femoral neck BMD is 3.7 standard deviations below the average value and is in the severely osteoporotic range “. That one was my worst score, the back and right hip aren’t much better. Someone please explain in my language....the meds have taken my brain.  If my T score is - 4 and the definition of osteoporosis is -2.5....what is my fracture risk factor? 
    • Posted

My worst tscore is -4.3 lower spine. I think it is not just about a number but a few factors like how strong your bones are. My bones are tiny as well.

Also, you can build up the muscles around your bones to help support them.

That is what was advised for my knee after a fall where the meniscus was torn. I did that and it worked.

People have been found to be deficient in magnesium who have broken bones so making sure one has all the nutrients needed is important.

Vitamin K2 aims the calcium onto the bones which is vital.

There probably needs to be more research to find howbest to help our bones like studies of people taking various nutrients and those taking th drugs. Underreporting seems to be rife.

Reading what people are writing on here is interesting as there still needs to be more information provided that truly reflects what is happening with the drugs and the natural way and what people are reporting being recorded properly.

If this is a sample of what is actually happening then much needs to be investigated.

• Posted

I don't know how to calculate the risk factor, but more than the t-score is taken into account.  In my case they used t-score, fact that I'd had what they claimed was a fragility fracture (I still disagree about that, given circumstances of the injury) and the fact that I was taking prednisone, and I think age, but I'm not sure about that..There are tools on the internet where you can enter your information and calculate your risk, often called FRAX.

• Posted

Couldn’t agree more. I have found that between the rheumy, GP, physiotherapist, and my naturopath I’m not sure who knows what. That’s why I love this forum, All advise is from experience, with a lot of knowledge thrown in. 
    • Posted

Oh good! Thank you Anhaga, I’ll get onto Mr Google a D’nL’s see what he hasn’t to say. 👍

• Posted

D’nL’s  ???  How did it get that from  “ and see”..🤦???

• Posted

Stupid auto correct lol! When I type the letter I and it just did it lol it becomes a capital and that happens even if it is the first letter in a word and then it does something crazy with the word like what happened to you. I often have to check and start again....
    • Posted

And I just noticed I wrote “what he HASN’T to say”..that whole comment is in double dutch! 👩?💻

• Posted

my spine is -2.62 and hip is -2.03. It was a shock to me. What made it worse was the fact that I was told that I should stop doing all sorts of things and that exercising the way I have been was no longer safe for me, etc...cry

It is very clear to me now that is was all to get me on the meds and it makes me angry. Even though it took me less then 24 hours to decide not to take any medication for this, I felt really fragile and unable to get to the gym. Speaking to the NOS was really helpful. I am now back to my normal routine, I just do not put a heavy bar on my back for squats and I do not do stomach crunches just in case. We should be able to trust doctors, it is a very sad state of affairs.

• Posted

I’m no expert, and this is coming from someone who IS taking the medication....but with that low a score I wouldn’t be taking it either. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.