Dreading the replacement

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, I am schedulled to have a TKR on the 28th of this month, and I am dreading it.  I have a zero pain threshold and the thought of being in so much pain is really frightening.  I am not a squeemish person and take most things on the chin, but I can't deal with pain, which is clearly going to be a problem cry  I am also concerned that I will not be able to cope once home, (especially so close to Christmas) When discharged have those of you who have already had surgery managed to get up and down stairs to bed, is it easy to change the white stockings, how soon can I expect to be walking reasonably well.  I normally do a drinks party for everyone in my road just before Christmas, which is quite hard work, do you think I should forgo playing host this year, or maybe delay it until lte January?  I am in North Somerset, any of you brave people near me?

Best wishes, Liz.eek

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Liz, I'm in Australia. First off....I would not do the drinks party this year, you just don't need the extra stress. Secondly, the pain.....I've got a pretty low pain threshold too and I got through it, just don't be afraid to take all the painkillers you need, this is not the time to try and bear the pain. I was zonked out on painkillers for the first month.

You will find walking upstairs is much easier than down, but take your time and you'll be right. I would sleep downstairs (if you can) for the first two weeks at least.

I didn't have stockings, only on the good leg for the first day.

Question: Did you people in the UK have to give yourselves blood thinning injections in the stomach for four weeks after the surgery? I thought maybe you have the stockings instead to stop blood clots.

Remember, eveyone's body is different, some people heal faster than others, you might even be one of the lucky ones and have few problems post op. I hope so.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

It varies greatly in the UK.

I had injections in my tummy whilst in hospital.  Had to wear inflatable boots, too plus stockings.  During our hot Summer that was no fun!

Once home, I had blood thinning tablets for a further eleven days and had to wear the stockings for six weeks for nearly 24 hours a day, with a half hour window for showering.

Knee number two next March.

• Posted

Hi both, I was exactly the same as you, Lynn. Injections in hospital, blood thinning tablets for 10 days at home then stockings for 6 weeks. I also had the boot things I think. I had forgotten about those till you said (think I was so out of it with painkillers at the time!). They wrapped round your legs and pumped slowly? I'm a bit vague too on when they got me to walk first. I said earlier it was the day after my op but I think it might have been the same day as the op. I had my op first thing in the morning. It's funny how I've forgotten those early days 😊 Good luck with the 2nd knee in March, Lynn. 
    • Posted

I didn't have to give myself blood thinning injections ...I had tablets injections in hospital and tablets for 10 days on leaving hospital plus the stockings for 6 weeks

jean In UK

• Posted

Hi Jenny, 

I am in Australia too. I am 6 weeks post op. 

I had a squeezey thing put on my good leg, for the circulation, gently squeezing all the time electrically.

I also had injections into my stomach for four weeks. I had to do it to myself, scary stuff, but I did it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.