Dreading the replacement

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, I am schedulled to have a TKR on the 28th of this month, and I am dreading it.  I have a zero pain threshold and the thought of being in so much pain is really frightening.  I am not a squeemish person and take most things on the chin, but I can't deal with pain, which is clearly going to be a problem cry  I am also concerned that I will not be able to cope once home, (especially so close to Christmas) When discharged have those of you who have already had surgery managed to get up and down stairs to bed, is it easy to change the white stockings, how soon can I expect to be walking reasonably well.  I normally do a drinks party for everyone in my road just before Christmas, which is quite hard work, do you think I should forgo playing host this year, or maybe delay it until lte January?  I am in North Somerset, any of you brave people near me?

Best wishes, Liz.eek

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi - I've noticed that some on here talk about not being able to sh ower - but I had a shower on day 3 before I left hospital -  had a waterproof dressing on the wound and was therefore able to shower when ever I wanted at home.  Having said that, it was a tiring ordeal at first as slightly nervous standing and difficult drying afterwards because of bending etc.  Not sure why some of you were unable to shower?  I did have disolvable stitches so don't know if that makes a difference?  Re the socks - in the first couple of weeks I didn't take them off every day but only when I showered which was every 2 or 3 days - because of the effort and also because I wasn't doing anything and getting hot or sweaty inbetween.  I don't see the need to change them all the time unless they get unusually dirty for some reason?  They are awkward at first because it is difficult to bend forward far enough to get them on but I think I only had to ask for help a couple of times in the very beginning.

I also found it very useful using the hand end of my sticks for hooking under my foot to help move the operated leg around.  Worked really well for getting in and out of bed and in and out of cars in those early days.

• Posted

I had kind of a waterproof dressing too but was told to wait till staples were removed and wound was dry. 
    • Posted

I had staples once and stitches once, neither time was showering an option till they were out and all signs of drainage stopped. Too much chance for staph.
  • Posted

Hi Liz

I work with Medicure Medical Travels, a healthcare consulting company based out in India. To answer your questions

1. These TKR surgeries are quite bpain except the slight discomfort you will feel after the surgery. Your GP will be prescribing you some medications that will keep the pain away. 

2. After the TKR surgery you can start assisted walking within 7 days. Initially you will have physiotherapy sessions after the surgery. The physio sessions will greatly help you in the walking. After that you will have assisted walking with walkers.

3. An implant takes 1.5 months to fully set in. There might be slight discomfort during this time but medications will take care of it. Also please don't push too much pressure on knees and walk regularly after the surgery. 

All the best with your TKR surgery. Keep us all posted with your recovery.

• Posted

Guess it depends on where in world you are. I'm in the states and here they have you on your feet the next day on a walker and the second day the are teaching you to use the walker to negotiate stairs. By the 4th and generally last day in the hospital you are walking 4 times a day for some distance each time. I never used crutches either time and the walker was there until steady e rough for a cane. Either in home or outpatient physical therapy started almost immediately and I was driving 4-6 weeks. Therapist assisted one on one 3 days a week for the 1st 6 weeks is the norm then its reduced to 2xs weekly for 2-3 weeks then1x weekly. They expect you to do it on your own 2x's a day. They start simple and add new excercises each visit. Rarely do you see anyone on crutches for tkr. Therapists and docs never put you to go beyond a personal comfort zone as far as assist I've devices but are always pushing to the next level on excercise. If they feel hydro is warranted, they will get you in the pool.
    • Posted

Maybe that's what I mentioned that assisted walking can be done within 7 days. I don't know how it goes in States but the general norm here in India that we start steadily. Personally I haven't seen cases where you're walking on the second day itself after the surgery. The stitches will come apart and also the healing process will be severly impacted.

And also the implants require time to set in. Even a good ceramic implant requires time to fully settle in. If really want the TKR to be effective you need to start slow and let implants settle in.

• Posted

I was walking with a frame the day after my op and with crutches the day after. We're encouraged to do so here in UK. Also started bending exercises day after surgery. 
    • Posted

Again, maybe its location. The day after I had my revision I fell and had a torque type  break of the femur(twisted the bone by rotation) and the prosthesis was already set and no damage to the joint incurred

The glow ng day the had to insert a 1+" wide x 18" long metal plate affixed with 4-2" screws to the knee and 4 screws that went nearly all the way through the bone. I was on 25% weight bearing for six weeks and they had me on a walker using a toe heal touch method. One thing no one has mentioned as I recall, the placement of the incision. Some docs go directly over the top and others around more to the side, which is the method nearly everyone in this Parr of the country. Apparently this method puts less strain on the stitches

• Posted

My incision is over the top, perhaps slightly to the left side (left knee). Interesting what you say about strain on the stitches. I had a slight bleed from the wound and was kept in for a couple of extra days. I'm sure it was caused by me doing the bending exercise over the rolled up towel in bed. My bend has been good so I suppose it was worth it but it makes you wonder. Gosh you've had some awful things to contend with. As I said before, you deserve some good times now 😊 
    • Posted

It's so. Strange to read how different countries deal with TKR

I  live in the UK and we are out of bed the next day and encouraged to walk with a walker.

although I was in hospital for 9 days  due to a few hiccups. .(..not with the TKR though) the usual stay in hospital is 3 days

i am now 8 weeks post op and still need the pain meds at night.

i've been discharged from Physio  and told I can drive

i haven't done so yet as it's my right knee and it still feels a bit numb.

my scar is so neat and I guess it will hardly show by the Spring 

this site has really helped me through the bad times ...thanks to all.

• Posted

I've been accused of being a fountain of worthless information. I guess I should have something to show for taking up space and breathing in valuable  clean air
    • Posted

that seems to change all over the uk , i was oiut of bed only a few hours after the op ,although it was only for the toilet i still did it on my own ,and walked from there on with crutches , i guess every team has a different way of doing things .

• Posted

I forgot to say my op wasn't until late afternoon that's why I was out of bed the next day 

• Posted

They've been mean to all of us lol for giving us so much pain

but our nurse at the hospital said ....this is selective surgery ...you selected to have the knee done ..so get on with it

obviously she hadn't had this op 

• Posted

Here in Australia, I wasn't out of bed the next day, I still had a catheter and drainage. The physio saw me after the bandages came off and we did some very gentle moves. I didn't get out of bed until the third day, using a frame. My stay was 5 days, but I could have stayed longer, the decision was up to me and if I could get a 90 degree bend, I forced a 85 and was allowed to leave.

We have a lot of empty hospital beds here, it's the staff we don't have.

Caz 6 weeks post TKR

• Posted

I would be very cross if a nurse (or anyone) said that to me.  It's not selective surgery, it's the very last thing any of us would want. It is necessary surgery, so that we can walk unaided, and get on with life without being a burdon to others and ultimately to social services.  Who would choose to have TKR, it falls into the same catagory  as heart surgery and most other vital surgery.  Gastric bands, face lifts etc, are selective surgery!
    • Posted

Precisely, after loosing my parents this has been the most difficult and traumatic time of my life.

Lynn 19 weeks post op

• Posted

Same for me, Lynn. How totally thoughtless of that nurse. I must say all the staff at the hospital I was in were brilliant. I was very lucky. Jen (15 weeks)
    • Posted

She didn't say it to me she said it to an 89 year old lady in the next bed to me.

and of course me being me told her what an insensitive person she was ...and would she speak to her own mother like that 

• Posted

How disgraceful.  There was recently a nurse on this forum who admitted she had nursed many TKR's, but before she had one herself she hadn't got a clue what was involved. And for months after, too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.