Drink & sleep

Posted , 8 users are following.

Its simple someone once said "have a drink it will relax you and help you sleep" so I did and it worked, but now I cant sleep without drinking, I am able to physically not drink, I just cannot sleep. I dont want sleeping pills, and I have tried meditation and all sorts, changed sleep routine. I just cant drop off... advise?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am just the same, Mark, so I will look forward to any advice anyone can give.

Pat

• Posted

Hi Pat,

thanks for being honest. I absolutely hate it, I dont even like the taste. its a drug like all the others but I know it makes me feel really bad in the morning, I have tried all the yoga, medatation, listing to sleep cds....not drinking cafine....

• Posted

One of my worst fears is to have to go to bed and lay there, with my thoughts going round and round in my head.  Oh how I wish I had a switch to just turn myself off.  I guess that is what the alcohol does...it switches me and my unwanted thoughts off.

I have no desire at all to drink during the day and never before 8pm in the evening, but it has to be every evening or I am in total panic.

I wouldn't wish this on anybody....but I have to say Mark, that it's good to know I am not the only one with this problem.

Thank you for posting.

Pat.

• Posted

I am exactly the same, I am the guy at the bar with a apple juice. They say you should deal with whats going round in your head, but sometimes that not possible. I am desperately tired,
    • Posted

Hi. i also used to drink alchol for d past 6 yrs. I suddenly stopped drinking. N now i jst dnt knw whats hapening to me. Unwanted thoughts come in my mind. I had sleepless night would wakeup anytime at night. My heartbeat goes fast, Breathing problems. Dan my dad took me to the doctor even took sleeping peels. N now i met a physiatherapist he prescribed me tablet pregalin. Im on tablets for d past 5 months. Sumtimes im jst normal. N sumtimes my mood jst goes off n i really remain quite even dnt like to talk with abnybody. My mind gets confused. Life has become hell. Is it bcoz of depression. My friends told me its bcoz of sudden withdrawal of alchol. I dnt want to spoil my life. Plzz help me
    • Posted

HI Shanti. YR life seems complicated but at least you no longer drink if I understand ou correctly. What is with the confused mind? Why and what is happening and I cannot say that I understand..Wish I could help but not certain what to suggest.
    • Posted

I jst cant explain. Unwanted things cum in my mind. Numbness feeling in my head. So i drank 2-3 times n u knw wat dat numb feeling is almost gone. But jst unwanted thoughts cum sumtimes. Jst wanted to is it bcoz of suden stop if alchol or due to depression
  • Posted

I also fell into that trap, it took me about 6 weeks after I stoped drinking to be able to fall asleep on my own. I am not good with sleeping pills. I used a 12 hour release gravol, the only problem was after about 4 days it didn't work as well and would have a couple of day's were I didnt get much sleep but at least it helped me through the rough spots smile
    • Posted

so when u say "fally alseep on your own" is that when u used the gravol ?
    • Posted

yes with out alcohol I had alot of trouble falling asleep on my own.

The grvol did help, I know its still medicatiion but not as harsh as sleeping pills smile

• Posted

gravol is for upset tummy but it has a sleeing aid in it... I have used nytol as well.... what ever get's you through it wink sleep is so important 
    • Posted

I would do anything to get a decent nights sleep, its been over 6 months. Nitol doesnt seem to do much, I just end up at 2am frustrated, so the next night its easier to have a drink but it effects me the next day so much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.