Drink & sleep

Posted , 8 users are following.

Its simple someone once said "have a drink it will relax you and help you sleep" so I did and it worked, but now I cant sleep without drinking, I am able to physically not drink, I just cannot sleep. I dont want sleeping pills, and I have tried meditation and all sorts, changed sleep routine. I just cant drop off... advise?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

try using Valerian - i had serious problems sleeping when i gave up drinking - i found Valerian really good - it's non-addictive - no after effects the following morning -
    • Posted

I think it conflicts with another med I take, but I will check
    • Posted

how much did u take and how long before bed, did it actually make u sleepy as thats the issue I have.
    • Posted

hi mark - i used to get it in capsule form, so after trying various amounts i found if i took 2 capsules about 30 mins before i went to bed and then took 1 capsule when i went to bed - it worked great for me- got me over the first few weeks in recovery, which always plays havoc with my sleep pattern - check with your doc - you can get it in tincture form as well - but this is alcohol based - so be careful - anyway best of luck - any other help or advice i can share with you, dont hesitate to let us know - thats how it works -
  • Posted

I've been reading the posts you guys have written with interest. My problem is similar in as much as I used to dread a sleepless night purely because of how it would affect my ability to work the next day, rather than just having a sleepless night...which in itself is not that big a deal. My GP understood this and, cos I worked in the health field, he prescribed some Zopiclone which did the trick, even though, as a hypnotic, I still had to relax and want to sleep. Yes, there was a "hangover" with it but as I was used to hangovers it wasn't much of a problem. Sure, it's a "drug" but so what?? If you have a headache you take an aspirin..If you get an infection you take an antibiotic..Humans have used drugs for thousands of years..Every medievil village had an old woman/man wise in the uses of plants, roots, barks and leaves who would make up potions and poultices and the like , animals use them!  I fail to see the difference. Sometimes our brains are restless and distracted..maybe we know why or maybe we don't but unless there's a pressing need for alertness next day perhaps a sleepless night is just what our brains need. Worrying about it can only make it self-perpetuating. Don't wanna take drugs? Fine. Don't, but you're ignoring the obvious. Maybe there's a reason for your sleeplessness? Maybe you're supposed to be thinking about difficult things alone in the darkness with yourself and your thoughts before sleep comes..Perhaps to accept that is to acknowledge that that's how a lot of problem solving works. In the morning a solution or other way of thinking often presents itself. Yoga works in much the same way..allowing the mind to work while you're busy doing other things or meditating. Indirect cognition is an important thing...Oh, and sleep cd's an' the like only serve to distract.... if you're listening to something it's for sure you're not giving your mind the peace it needs. Have a sleepless night now and again and accept it..for sure you'll get more rest than you think you've had.

PS..Not used Zopiclone for years now, it served it's purpose.

• Posted

HI Mark. News to me since I drop off within 4 mins. Is it stress related perhaps or your mind is simply in overdrive constantly and you can defuse it?? You already tried meditation which should normally help. Just wondering what else to suggest...
  • Posted

Hi there,

Just to let me you know that when I took baclofen, I slept very well, as one side effect of it is sleepiness.  Perhaps it may help.  I understand being warry of exchanging an alcohol addiction against a sleeping pill addiction.  Baclofen is not addictive though (check with your doctor), so this is not a problem associated with this medication.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.