Driving

Posted , 13 users are following.

Can anyone tell me how long it was until they were driving again. I am not yet 3 weeks post op, but we live 5 miles from the nearest town and 5.5 miles from the nearest bus stop. My friend does all the driving at the moment but I am hoping to back behind the week, by the end of November. Is this realistic?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's usually 6 week a post op I started 6 1/2 weeks. It's hard on u. I am 10 weeks today and when I drive my knee will swell abit. 

• Posted

Usually after you are off narcotic medicine and when the doctor says it is okay.
  • Posted

Automatic or standard shift? Which knee replaced?

I had my right knee replaced, drive a automatic and used my left foot to apply the brakes (which I felt comfortable with) and resumed driving at about 9-10 weeks. It all depends on you. My surgeon said as long as I felt safe I could drive.

• Posted

I started at 4 weeks.  It was determined by my ROM (Had to be at least 90), my ability to leg press 60 lbs with my TKR leg, and my ability to be off pain meds during the day or during those times when I wanted to drive.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

That seems reasonable. I have heard 5-6 weeks, basically when you're off painkillers. I'm 4 weeks out and we live 26 miles from town. But I still need my hydrocodone for pain so gonna wait probably a little longer than usual. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Sound good to me. I am not on very many meds, Paracetamol for much of the pain and tramadol for times like today when I have done a little too much....
  • Posted

Hi Lynne

I believe if its laft knee and a manual car 5_ 6 weeks thats in uk

• Posted

Hi Lynne. I started driving after 3 to 4 weeks. I was off medication and walking without sticks. Tried it out first with my husband in the car and tried a few emergency stops and no problem. I wasn't driving long distances. I was fine on my own. Everybody is different. I think I was told around 6 weeks and be able to do an emergency stop without any problem.

• Posted

Depending on your Dr's advice I would think possibly be for the end of Oct.

A couple of things to keep in mind: if you are still on pain killers they could make it dangerous as they can mess with your judgement or make you drowsy. The 2nd situation, what damage could be done to the joint if you were rear ended and jammed into the dash or steering wheel and what would happen in an emrgncy extraction. I don't know where you are but in some countries folks have said insurance prohibits driving for a min. of 6 weeks or longer. This isn't the case in the US

• Posted

I will check with my insurers, but as I run a small dance school asking people to take me and fetch me gets annoying. Me getting annoyed not ususally them
    • Posted

Lynne.....one of the side effects of leg surgery is acquiring an awareness of an enhanced level of patience. Many people have found they can actually let others help without feeling they are completely worthless and a disgrace to humanity. Don't let your desire to be independent push you into setbacks that will really devastate you and slow down your recovery. Besides, others feel good about being part of your full return to normal.

• Posted

You said it, your annoyed, friends don't mind helping. They can take the pressure off of you trying to do too much too soon. As long as you aren't taking advantage of them use the help they offer. 

• Posted

Papapete's question is dead on...if you have a manial shift and the knee involved has to press the clutch.  Great catch!

As lots of people have said, you can't be driving and taking opioids at the same time.  Actually, you can but it's a really, really, really bad idea.  So since most of us are off "the hard stuff" in the 30-60 day range, I'd say driving resumes when you are off the major pain meds.  By that time, you've already been to PT a while so you will have some flexion and be in less pain...but be prepared.  If you have a lot of trouble lifting your leg from gas to brake quickly, then I'd hold off until you are stronger and quicker.  I's not work the risk...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.