Driving

Posted , 13 users are following.

Can anyone tell me how long it was until they were driving again. I am not yet 3 weeks post op, but we live 5 miles from the nearest town and 5.5 miles from the nearest bus stop. My friend does all the driving at the moment but I am hoping to back behind the week, by the end of November. Is this realistic?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It will depend on your Insurers and your Consultant. I was 8 weeks I'd had a partial knee replacement, right leg. I drive a manual car. I was back at work in 11 weeks driving a bus.

?If you are in UK you would be wise to check the DVLA website, Medical services section. There is a section which deals with all sorts of medical conditions. That will tell you.

John

• Posted

Hi Lynne, I had a left partial knee replacement almost 7 weeks ago now. I saw my surgeon at exactly 6 weeks, and was advised that after an operation such as this, as long as you can do an emergency stop, and feel comfortable, you can drive. I started driving the next day, taking it steady,as my knee, still being swollen, felt tight,but I was able to drive safely. As the week has gone on, its gotten easier, its more painful getting in and out of the car! I've felt much more independent, and happier, now I can get myself out and about, without relying on others. I'm in the UK.

• Posted

I also meant to say that my Physio agreed and also said it was like a form of exercise, since its my left leg, I have to push down on the clutch, also, we have a lot of hills, so clutch control comes into it!
  • Posted

I had bilateral TKR. My doc said as long as I was off of narcotic pain killers and could stomp my foot I could drive. So, 2 weeks for me. 
  • Posted

Hi Lynne .. guess this is a very individual one I was about 10-12wks post op b4 I drove as it was my driving leg that was operated on... I was unable to drive far due to swelling and having leg in same position... but we're all different.  I live very close to shops and hubby drops in on the way home from work so it really didn't bother me too much.

• Posted

Also I had a TKR not sure if you've had the same or partial?

• Posted

I had a total and it was 6 weeks or maybe a little less, i guess it all depends on the person.
    • Posted

I am just coming to six weeks post op drove home today manual car i was stuck in a bit of traffic the back of my knee felt a bit sore i hope its not harmful but i did have to use the clutch a lot and its my left knee i had op on has any one else felt this cheers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.