Driving

Posted , 16 users are following.

Can I ask how soon after surgery did you feel able to drive thanks

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Cathy

I had both knees done same time and i also have a 5 speed straight truck eith big wheels so i did not drive for 3 and a half months but it was cool because i had no where to go. I will say it was fun to go see my surgeon with no cane and driving myself . Flipped him out smile Hope this helps.

• Posted

Depends on your ROM. My doc wants me at 105. I'm currently at 95, 6 weeks out from surgery.

• Posted

Hi Cathy,  Driving depends on which knee you had done and also if you are still on pain RX.  No driving if you are taking pain meds!
  • Posted

Hi Cathy

As far as I can remember it was about six weeks after surgery when I began driving again.

Sean.

• Posted

I had my operation on 24th August.

was given the go ahead to drive by hospital last week.

its up to them, you can not drive untill you have a certain bend.

you must be advised by hospital okay, or you will not be covered by insurance if you should have a accident.

hope this helps.

hope all is going well with you.

i knew it would be hard, I just never realised how hard.

• Posted

Hi Alison

I had my tkr on the 27th of aug and am finding it all very difficult. I am now 7 weeks today. I went to see the pt last Friday and I asked him about driving and he said to wait until I see the surgeon, I am at the surgeons this Thursday but I don't think that he will let me yet. I find it difficult as well to do the exercises. My ex husband had this done 5 years ago and he said that it's about 6months when you start to see the benefits. I also knew that it was going to be tough but like you say not as tough as this.

Hope you recover soon.

• Posted

Cathy I was driving short journeys at 10 week's and doing 1000km per week at 12 week's post op.

Leg would feel quite stiff but I out a stoney bike at home and in the office, 5 minutes cycling at each end lossened it up.

Best wishes, Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Sorry for typos. I put a statoner bike......
  • Posted

We all have different opinions here.  Standard shift or automatic? Which knee was done? Are you still takin get pain meds? How do you feel, can you move the leg to handle the situation. Can you put pressure on the surgery leg? My surgeon told me as long as I felt safe I could drive, was around week 9 or 10.
  • Posted

For 4 here in the USA it was 4 weeks...and I couldn't wait---freedom WooHoo! Had my right knee done and I drive an automatic. Good luck!

• Posted

I had my first drive yesterday - a bit nervous but oh my talk about liberating. Tomorrow will do it solo and just cruise around enjoying the sights smile

I am nearly 7 weeks post op right knee TKR drive an automatic right hand drive so needed to be confident with the right knee. I am pretty much pain free and am totally off the meds so my brain should be functioning reasonably well. It is all about the reactions - both of limb and mind.

Keep safe and don't push it. My challenge will be to not purchase anything I cannot safely carry - no big bags of compost for the garden for a while smile

• Posted

Well done Jennifer,

Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy. But be careful please.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Thank you Alan - I do still have issues. Because I have been injured for a few years my foot has been compromised. Apparently I have to have an operation on it to remove a neuroma that is causing excruciating pain to the top of my foot when I weight bear at times. I feel like I have a lump under the ball of my foot all the time and so my walk is not the best - knee is pretty well fine most of the time and this foot diagnosis has really rocked me. I just thought as did my PT that it was something that time would work its magic on as the leg realigns. Darned annoying grrrr..I
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your foot Jenni.

You will get through it and you will be carrying large compost bags and you will be driving and walking around that beautiful country of yours.

And I will slot you into my daily prayers, I will pray for the above, and when you are standing admiring your garden and heading for a nice long walk, it will all have been worthwhile.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words smile I am not sure the back will be up to 20kg bags any more lol but I certainly do hope so.

I feel very positive about the future despite the wee hurdles - attitude is all !

All the very best to you.

Jenni.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.