Driving

Posted , 11 users are following.

At what week were you able to start driving if you have started? I am hating it being able to and being dependent!  

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi christina. I started around 13/14 weeks. Once I was told I could ditch the boot, I couldn't drive far as it made foot and heel ache. Also the top of my leg. Still can't drive too far as it still makes my foot ache. When I asked my consultant about driving, he told me that I needed to be able to do a emergency stop. Was I going to try, No, but if need be you would just do it automatically. Now 18 weeks in and still not able to drive too far. Good luck. Just a little independents feels great. Sx

• Posted

As soon as you are allowed to weight bear and comfortable I am sure you can drive.  It is illegal to drive with a moon boot on unless you have automatic and injured foot is left one!!!!  I know exactly how you feel, keep blogging as you get so much help from others with the same injury!  Everyone made me feel so much better!!! onwards and upwards my dear, I am thrilled to be walking unaided but just a tiny limp!!!! Just hated being so dependent!!

• Posted

I wish I had had a boot fitted as I think the recovery would have been quicker. I am very nervous about walking on it.
  • Posted

did you have trouble fitting Into regular shoe ? 
  • Posted

I am still in cast and like you hate not having my independence. I am not sure when I will be able to. Going to the Fracture Clinic on Tuesday to hopefully have the cast off. It will be just under six weeks.
  • Posted

My injured ankle  is my right one of course . 
    • Posted

Mine is the right one too. I had to buy a pair of last up dappers. As my foot was so swollen I had to get a size 6. Normally size 4 1/2 /5. Swelling now gone down 18werks later, and can now fit into my size. 4 1/2, with ribbon ties loosely. Still unable to get into normal flat shoes. Plus find them too hard. Need nice soft shoes for comfort. Hope yr behind the wheel before too long. Sx
    • Posted

Lol sorry. It should be lace up dappers. (soft lace up gym shoes) handy because on my bad foot I could have the laces left loose because of the swelling. Sx
  • Posted

Hi. I was about 11 weeks I think. And even now after 4 1/2 months I still swell and hurt for a day after I've driven a lot. But I mean 400 km. Around town and short distance in fine. But i only had cast till staples were taken out and boot on and off for about 2 weeks (mainly off). I had too much nerve pain. Yesterday was sitting in training session for 6 hours and the 30 min drive each way and sitting all day has me almost crippled today. But omg the normality of being at work and driving is worth the pain. Like you I hate hate hate the loss of independence. I gained my last bit back yesterday when I bought an electric can opener. My hands are in agony from nerve strain with crutches and wheelchair. All these secondary injuries from this are the worst. 

• Posted

Hi Christina broke my ankle 12 weeks ago had surgery with metal plate and screw.

Have been walking without any crutches since week 10 and drove s manual car today (It's my right ankle) just a short 20 minute drive and not too busy and did practise emergency stop.

Felt good

Good luck to you too

• Posted

I am going to practice driving tomorrow! (Almost 7 weeks in and released to bear weight on it). It may be too soon but my work is literally one minute away from my house. I plan to just go there and back. Fingers crossed!! (Right ankle broken) Wish me luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.