Driving

Posted , 11 users are following.

At what week were you able to start driving if you have started? I am hating it being able to and being dependent!  

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I haven't even had my op yet 14 months after going on list. Last consultation I was in so much pain I was put in a moon boot in the hope that keeping the bones as still as possible would settle some of the pain. Apparently if I have the op while the foot is so bad it will make things worse. I am back tomorrow and pray I am near at least to a pre op assessment. I was awarded PIP got an automatic car last year. I have never had an automatic and have yet to drive this one. I was misdagnosed by GP for weeks then put on a waiting list to go to a Triage centre who took one look at the X rays and said I should never have been sent there. Then the wait to see a Consultant. Steroids injections that nearly sent me through the roof directly into bone, then wait weeks to see if they had any positive effect. I am now four years in with no end in site. I honestly feel some days that if I was told the foot had to come off I would be relieved. I am completely worn down by it.

• Posted

Holy hell. You sure have had a rough go of it.  I can't even imagine the agony you must be in. I do hope you have a loving support system.   I'm in Australia. And our system can be bad but not as bad as you have. Stay sane. 

• Posted

So I am only one week post surgery. I am apparrently niave but, I was hoping to start driving after I get my cast on (left ankle).
    • Posted

Hi Suzie,

I had my surgery on my left ankle I'm almost 5 weeks post op. I drove in my 2nd week with the splint cast on which was very uncomfortable. I got my full cast put on almost 2 weeks ago now when I drive its way more comfortable.

• Posted

I am only driving now - short distances after 14 weeks - I do not have an automatic so maybe that is the difference!  Just be patient, I know it seems to take so long but it is imperative to look after that ankle so that you do not have problems later.  It does get better, I promise but please be patient and do your exercises.  xxx
  • Posted

I should be full weight bearing at 10 weeks but doctor says wear boot two more weeks. Then I can drive at 12 weeks. 

I had clean breaks in tibia, fibula, and talus.

• Posted

I also broke Tibia, fibula and talus....😞 The optimistic in me says "this too shall pass" but my brain is starting to think "this is already sucking". I am starting to realize that I will be lucky if I'm walking by Thanksgiving.

• Posted

Hi Suze, we have to be honest with ourselves, I'm now 19 weeks in and still not able to walk without a very bad limp and pain. Can't walk far and either need to hold onto someone or use 1 crutch. But everyone is different some are up on their feet earlier, just listen to your body. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Sx

• Posted

Are you resting enough? Stressing is not good either. 

I feel like I'm doing remarkably well. I was with my daughter the first five weeks and was able to rest while she took care of me. Now I'm home since last Wednesday and still resting for the most part. I wear my boot but take it off often to stretch my ankle tendons. I have very little swelling. I expect to start 25% weight bearing in a week wearing my boot and using a walker then add each week until full weight bearing and walking. Then I start physical therapy. I pray I continue to do well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.