Driving again?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Have all of you TKR folks out there had to wait until you've reached 6 weeks post op before you've been allowed to drive again, even if you drive an automatic and its your left knee that's been operated on? 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

Like others, I was advised to wait six weeks before driving, due to insurance issues etc. But I felt fine to drive after about a week, and so chanced my arm (leg!) driving to my local Aldi after 8 days. That said I drive an automatic and it was my right knee that was replaced! And my Aldi was only about half a mile on quiet roads......

I did not tell my insurer about the op, and kept my single crutch in the boot.

wink

• Posted

My right knee was the one I had the op on  but I live in UK  and that is the leg I use the most 

but today I did it and feel pleased with myself 

• Posted

Ho Glenda.  I have an automatic and it was my left knee that was done so I started driving at 4 weeks post op and had no problems. Just had the seat pushed back to help getting in and out. I am now 6 weeks post op and think that driving again made me feel so much better! I think it depends on the individual. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi

I drove after 6 weeks doc and physio said they could not advise me to drive or not to drive as it was my right knee told that if I was able to do an emergency stop it was up to me .Now driving much to my poor wife's relief

• Posted

I'm just five weeks post TKR and I was told to wait at least six week as I need to be able to do an emergency stop.  As I am still struggling with the bend and also getting it straight I don't feel ready to drive yet. Also I'm not sure I would get in and out of my car without great difficulty as its a Mini  I don't want to have to get someone to drag me out of the car cos I'm stuck!  
  • Posted

Hi Glenda

I am 11.3weeks and would still not feel confident driving my manual car (left knee too tight and heavy) so I bought an automatic which arrived last Saturday!

Wonderful to gain some independence again! I also went back to work this week for three days (five hours each day).

I am with More Than and they had no restrictions on when you could drive as long as you felt you could do the emergency stop. However every insurance company is different and some say 12 weeks! Best to check.

Happy driving :-)

Tracey

• Posted

hi glenda ... i am have reached 9.3 weeks today and for the first time today i felt "yes"!! i can do this.  sadly, my batery was dead, so i have had to postpone my first drive after nearly 2.5 months until tomorrow!  i am still taking quite a lot of meds and on some days i feel like i am on a complete high ... don't tell the boss!  i have tweeked them a bit and am now feeling clear headed and more or less pain free so ready to go!  oh, i have a manual and it was my right knee which was operated on ... and i think you have to use your common sense as to what to do!

• Posted

Hi Britta, sounds like you're feeling a lot better? Good to hear 😊 Jen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.