Driving again

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi hip hoppers

Does anyone know for sure when we can officially drive again. When I asked my insurance I company they said I have to ask licencing in Swansea---didn't fancy waiting on phone for 45 minutes to speak to someone.

ive had various answers elsewhere such as when you get the ok from the surgeon after 6 weeks and when you feel  u can.

4 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Never heard of that. I asked at post op check, told that it was fine once I was confident I could do an emergency stop. He suggested practice in an empty car park. This was at 6.5 weeks, which is around average. Varies a bit, automatic manual, left or right leg

• Posted

I'd not heard of it either.

It must vary by which leg, automatic, car type (some higher powered cars have very heavy clutch forinstance).

I'll be guided by my own common sense and the surgeon.

Limb disability could cover a whole host of problems ... even hip or knee replacement ?

Graham

• Posted

My first hip op was my right hip and I drive a manual. I was told to contact my insurer who were actually disinterested and said as long as its ok with my doctor I can drive! I waited to see my surgeon at just under 8 weeks post op and he said if I could stamp hard with my right leg (ie to do an emergency stop) I can drive. This time I notified my insurer again (different one to last year) and they have made a note on my account and want to know when I have been advised I can drive! I asked my physio yesterday and she said generally they say 8 weeks for right hip and six weeks for left (or less in theory if you drive an automatic). She also said it is best to check first you have enough strength in your leg/hip, no pain and your driver seat is high enough to touch pedals but not break 90 degree rule!

I am just 6 weeks post op (left) so will have a little practice this weekend, notify my insurer and if all ok will be driving from Monday -  cant wait!😀

Linnet x

• Posted

Hi Linnet,

Responding to your last message.  Yes, it is this one, that caused me to think.  My problem is that I have to drive across the canal to get out of here, so being cooped up for two months would not sit well with me.  Six weeks would be bad enough!  

I do find that there is a lot of conflicing information on the site, but I have come to the conclusion that a lot of it boils down to the age, general health, and experiences,  etc, of each individual, and potential misunderstanding of what actually is required of them regarding insurance, etc.  

The auto insurance issue is something of a minefield as so many posts are in conflict with one another.  Obviously, if we are behind the wheel of a car and cause an accident for any reason, we are responsible.  So, what it boils down to is  plain old common sense, and heeding the advice of the correct authority!

• Posted

Good morning, 

This is how I understand it - 

I also thought that surgeon will authorize driving, usually at follow up visit - 

follow up visit is usually 6 weeks post-op - 

When my appointment was postponed again i voiced my concern about driving and was told that the surgeon will not/never authorize driving as he/she will not be held responsible when something happened -

The patient is responsible - when you feel that you can do the emergency stop, feel confident that you can drive, that is when you can drive -

it makes sense - 

I still have days that i feel I shouldn;t get in to the car - pulled a muscle not too long ago and have a hard time lifting my (left) leg in to the car and use the clutch - I live in Holland , drive a tiny, low seated car ....

I thought I am throwing this in the group to add to the confusion

be safe and a responsible driver 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee and everyone else following this thread.

i have at last got through to DVLA medical advice centre and I now have a definitive answer.

There is no statutory time duration after the operation as to when you can drive but you must get the ok from either the surgeon or your GP that you are fit to drive. You cannot leave it to your own common sense or to a physiotherapist although the surgeon may refer to a physiotherapist  to make his judgement.

I asked if written evidence is necessary and the answer was no. If as accident occurs then the insurance companies will approach the surgeon or GP to obtain confirmation.

Regarding the medical condition section on the back of the licence and the £1000 fine. The key wording here is "that affect your driving". This really refers to ongoing problems such as epilepsy, blackouts heart conditions etc. Severe arthritis may be included but the wording in the warning is " Talk to your doctor if you're not sure if your arthritis will affect your driving or if you must tell DVLA about it"

So there we have it I think it's all fairly clear now. I'm 5 weeks post off now  and I'm off to the GP. The wife driving of course

• Posted

thanks Colin ..... phew .... 

it is funny though, that before the surgeries I was often in so much pain while driving -had to wait to get out of the car, mustering up courage and strength - all those painkillers too -

Hmmm , suddenly feel very grateful for my guardian angels !

• Posted

Colin

Thanks so much for this - no driving then for me on Monday  I will def be waiting now until I see my consultant next Friday.

Linnet x

• Posted

Very sensible Linnet and in fact although I said earlier that I was off to the GP I think it sensible to wait til next week when I see the surgeon.

Cathie was probably right that GPs won't put their necks on the line and give the ok.

• Posted

I can sense your frustration at not being able to

get behind the wheel! On a technical point what about those

disability scooters, when can hippies drive them, remember we

would all be using them if we hadn't had hip operations.

Cathie

• Posted

I waited until the consultant (or actually his registrar) gave me the go ahead to drive again at my six week appointment. I assumed this was what insurers required. I rang my insurers (Saga) this morning and they weren't interested in what I had to tell them! They only require notification if you have any of the DVLA conditions that require disclosure (the ones that Graham lists below).
  • Posted

Congratulations Colin and Susie.

Both your Driving posts have generated nearly 70 replies in less than 24 hours. Obviously an emotive subject.

• Posted

Bullseye....!

Think we all need to be told where to go...!

...and when....!

DVLA, our insurance company, local government, police, our GP, physio, surgeon...... 

Or, should we just use our loaf, and get on with it...?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.