Driving again

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi hip hoppers

Does anyone know for sure when we can officially drive again. When I asked my insurance I company they said I have to ask licencing in Swansea---didn't fancy waiting on phone for 45 minutes to speak to someone.

ive had various answers elsewhere such as when you get the ok from the surgeon after 6 weeks and when you feel  u can.

4 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Colin

See thread from Ian97093 two months ago.

"DVLA 8 weeks to drive even automatics".

13 replies.

• Posted

I'm insured with Lloyds, they said I didn't need to notify them but I wasn't to drive until my consultant gave the OK. I expect every insurer is different, contact yours and get their advice preferably in writing
  • Posted

Hi Colin

Good question....

And too many conflicting answers!

All I know is my hospital physio said 6 weeks. So I did drive then!

Then on this site someone said check insurance company...so I did. Aviva said go with what the physio said.

No mention of dvla .

Hope this adds to the debate: medically 6 weeks feels about right!

Warmly

Mic

• Posted

That's interesting.  Why would the DVLA or the insurance company be interested in you unless you were reported as being unfit to drive?  No one in their right mind is going to get into a car and drive unsafely. Having said that, there are a lot of those around, but they are mostly "under the influence" of something. If they get into trouble, they have to take the consequences, and unfortunately so may someone else!  

I did read a post where someone said they were already behind the wheel at four weeks.  

• Posted

the insurance company knows because you put in

a claim and declare. You will still be limping,and will

probably have a crutch or cane. If it is the same post

I read, the man drove illegally, and took a chance. He got

away with it, you might not. 

Cathie

• Posted

Good afernoon Cathie:

I do not understand your post.  I have not made a claim.  I would not drive before I was given the go ahead by the correct authority, much less, even consider driving until I felt it safe to do so.  If I am still limping to the extent that I do not have full control of my right hip and leg, it would be clear that I was not ready to drive yet.

I am a responsbile and mature adult, and have the sense to realise that there are other people on the road, including pedestrians and children.  Putting any of them at risk, would be far beyond my remit!

• Posted

Hello Susie,

I was answering your question'how would the

insurance company know' in my first sentence...

I did not suggest that YOU

would do anything illegal, it was the member of the forum

who posted that he would take a chance, not you.

I hope this explains everything.

Cathie

• Posted

Hello Cathie:

There have been over 70 posts on this rather contentious issue, and I believe that there is a posting by Graham - aka "Rockketman" quoting the DVLA's guidelnes.  If not, you will find it somewhere in this discussion.

Footnote on anyone who takes a chance:  they need to think of the other road users who may be at the receiving end of their foolish gamble! 

• Posted

For those following this rather than my original submission Driving I found out the situation from DVLA and here was my posting related to it

colin68240 renee01952 • about 7 hours ago

Hi Renee and everyone else following this thread.

i have at last got through to DVLA medical advice centre and I now have a definitive answer.

There is no statutory time duration after the operation as to when you can drive but you must get the ok from either the surgeon or your GP that you are fit to drive. You cannot leave it to your own common sense or to a physiotherapist although the surgeon may refer to a physiotherapist  to make his judgement.

I asked if written evidence is necessary and the answer was no. If as accident occurs then the insurance companies will approach the surgeon or GP to obtain confirmation.

Regarding the medical condition section on the back of the licence and the £1000 fine. The key wording here is "that affect your driving". This really refers to ongoing problems such as epilepsy, blackouts heart conditions etc. Severe arthritis may be included but the wording in the warning is " Talk to your doctor if you're not sure if your arthritis will affect your driving or if you must tell DVLA about it"

So there we have it I think it's all fairly clear now. I'm 5 weeks post off now  and I'm off to the GP. The wife driving of course

0 votes  Report  Share  reply to colin68240

• Posted

My surgeon said in Auto if you feel ok 4 weeks but way my knee is it'll be Never😩😩😩😩

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.