Driving anxiety

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have been taking 10 mg citalopram for 2 weeks. Out of the blue I have been having massive anxiety when driving. Dizziness, hands shaking and shortness of breath. No idea why. Usually I only have this while driving but since taking citalopram I am having it at home also. I feel like I'm jumping out of my skin. I have read that this is a side effect in the beginning. Hoping it stops soon. 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It should start to get better. Remember that it sometimes gets worse before it gets better. Hang in there it's worth it.
    • Posted

Thanks. That's what I've been reading. I didn't really want to start a med but I've tried tons of herbal remedies with no luck so I guess this is the next step. I am not depressed so I was a little leery of starting a antidepressant but was told it should work for anxiety also. Keeping my fingers crossed!!
    • Posted

What are you on? I went on for a combination of depression and anxiety. I've been in citalopram for a couple of years. I also had counselling. Which helped I've just come off citalopram. Hope it works ok.
    • Posted

Yes!!!! I also had the same driving experience. It feels as if you're going to pass out while driving. Really really sucks.

I've been on cit 20 mg for 12 weeks. And all has disappeared around week 8. Hang in there. The anxiety gets worse before the med works. Don't give up.

• Posted

Thanks. It's nice to talk to others that have the same issue. This just came on suddenly. I've never had a accident or been afraid to drive. It's starting to affect my life a lot. I live out in the country so I need to drive! 
    • Posted

Your on the road to getting better so well done for getting the help. 😀😀
    • Posted

It's kind of spooky that's there's so many of us on the roads all panicky!😃 I hope this works for all of us! I probably should have done this a while ago but I'm old and stubborn. Some of the herbal remedies helped some ( or I thought they did...placebo effect maybe) but only for a few days. 
  • Posted

Ye I had a really rough time for the first 9 or 10 days. Felt like I was going completely mad! I didn't drive for that whole period - but it was partially to do with the fact I wasn't sleeping so I felt it was genuinely unsafe! If you can avoid driving while you get through the first week or so I would. It does get better Im nearly a month now on 10mg. The side effects have settled right down and my anxiety is definitely more manageable
    • Posted

Glad your doing better. I thought I was going nuts the first week. Second week has settled down some but not totally gone. 
  • Posted

Hi Kathy,

As I always say, "Welcome to the club!"

The symptoms you describe are quite usual for us on this "sticking plaster" for the brain. There are other symptoms that you may or may not get and then there is differing degrees, if you get them, as it is primarily down to everyone being individual and not every one experiences the same.

When I became ill with "work related stress" and went sick, I did not get behind the wheel of a vehicle for 4 months as I felt it may have been dangerous to do so. Driving under the influence of any drug, especially alcohol, is a no-no! However, as individuals many appear ok with Cita, but I was taking no changes as a Transport Manager! The anxiety in the early days was quite acute and people here explained that Cita causes anxiety to treat it (and I didn't think I had it!), but when it did all was good. It seemed to clear the way to mending that what went wrong.

I am on 40mg after 6 months, basically rising from 10mg after the first month each month by 10mg. I levelled at 40mg 2 months ago and my Doctor will consider reducing Cita in a month - if I am still progressing.

I feel I am as, that which made me ill and brought me here is now (just recently) behind me. Whether I have to stay on 10mg, or stay on it for the foreseeable future, for a while after I do not know, but I do know there is light at the end of the tunnel. Something I could not see when I started as I was all over the place with symptoms, especially multiple vivid dreams.

All youu can do is go with the flow, keep posting and reading here, there are some angels that whatch over us!

All the very Best,

David

• Posted

Thanks David. Glad you are doing better. It sure helps talking to others with the same issues. Makes me feel better just knowing I'm not alone  
  • Posted

Hi Kathy in my case outta the blue I started panicking driving & God forbid if a light turned red & I had to sit for a minute, sweating, shaking, etc. at the same time started not being able to go to the grocery store, got the shakes felt sick. I couldn't drive or go anywhere for 2 months, all this happening not taking any meds. Anyway long story short doc put me on 20mg cit in sept, after a lot of side effects & thinking they would never help I just kept plugging along & now it's amazing I drive no prob, go in stores no prob, I'm back to "normal". I never want to quit taking these meds they have helped me tremendously !!
    • Posted

Hi Carol. Sounds exactly what I'm going thru. I refuse to let this beat me. I need to drive! It's just strange that it just came out of no where. If I have someone with me when I'm driving, I'm fine. Today is day 12 on meds and I almost feel good!!! Not as jittery as the last 11 days. Let's hope it continues! Glad you are doing better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.