Driving anxiety

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have been taking 10 mg citalopram for 2 weeks. Out of the blue I have been having massive anxiety when driving. Dizziness, hands shaking and shortness of breath. No idea why. Usually I only have this while driving but since taking citalopram I am having it at home also. I feel like I'm jumping out of my skin. I have read that this is a side effect in the beginning. Hoping it stops soon. 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Kathy hang in there I am on 20 mg and have been for two years.  Like you things went worst for the first month.  But after that things have really improved.  This is a wonder drug that has given me back my life.... Good luck to you....

• Posted

Now it's day 17. The heightened anxiety seems to have leveled off, which is good!! The only issue I'm having now is I am completely exhausted!! I used to go all day and now I'm having a hard time just getting a couple projects done. Hoping this goes away soon. 
    • Posted

Dear Kathy,

It is day 180something for me and I think I maybe one if the fortunate ones! Consider this, is it because you "used to go all day, completing loads of projects" that brought you here? You have to give Cita a chance and let it do it's job and this can take time different people, different side effects and different levels.

Let this "sticking plaster for the brain" do what it is meant to do and that is to treat each individual in whatever way it takes to help them get better. One thing Cita is not, is a mask to allow us to continue doing what actually brought us here in the first place.

180something days later, after a lifestyle change (not everyone needs to do this) and semi retiring (not yet fit for work anyway, not yet!) I am somewhat back to me old self. I accept there may be moments, who knows even days, when I don't feel so, but I am getting there. So will you, you just gotta let it take it's time.

Keep posted you are in the right place!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi Kathy, I'm on aound day 32 now and I went through this phase too. The first 10-12 days were the 'I'm going completely mad' phase then this levelled off and for a while all I wanted to do was eat and sleep! It has improved, but still don't have the energy levels I used to have. At first this worried me too, but now I feel it's still massively preferable to the 'I'm going completely mad' phase and definitely better than the anxiety levels I was experiencing before I started taking the drugs. And David below is right, maybe it's a sign we were doing too much before and we need to slow down for a while. I think that's a more positive way of looking at it x
    • Posted

Thanks David. I retired 3 yrs ago and the anxiety started about 1 yr after I retired. I worked in a oil refinery and my job was super stressful and sometimes downright terrifying😆. You think this would have happened then! My doc says maybe I don't have enough stress now!! Joking I think!! I'm just not used to relaxing much! Have a little farm with plenty of chores to do. Today was a good day. Got gardens planted and put up a fence!! Kinda had to force myself to do it tho. Tomorrow I'm going to drive over to my sons. Hopefully that will go smoothly. Usually I start stressing out about driving the day before but I am doing pretty good so far. 
    • Posted

Hi Melmo. I know exactly how you feel. I feel much better knowing others have went thru this and it does get better. I just need to be a little more patient I guess. Not one of my strong traits! 😃
  • Posted

Morning Kathy,

Big Wow! On yer past career I can somewhat imagine thay would put some extra stress in yer life, to say the least! Also on your retirement situation it is what everyone should aim to do, caring for Mother Earth, we certainly do as we settle for an easier life after one of hard work.

As an ex-serviceman without (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) - as far as I know) I wonder if you may have a form of it? Understanding how risk situations can be certainly reduced by constantly having to live (and breathe) a life of standardised practices, safe workings and by-the-book regimes it does have an affect afterwards. Most ex-service personnel go through a period of readjustment to Civvi Street and for some PTSD only comes out after. An ex-service chap that volunteered (at me previous employ (I can say that now! FREE!)) for me last year was a little "thoughtful" at times and wondered if a chamge in meds was making him so. It turned out 20 years later WHAM! It turned up and hit him hard. He has been properly diagnosed, is now having therapy (may just be a chat with other ex-service personnel) and a change in meds!

I do bellieve you may be going through either that or a major readjustment problem. Readjustment from and too.

Mention it to your Doctor, let's face it, how many of us have done what you have done?

We (Ann and I) are looking to get a small holding, before I get too past it! Now we know where to come for other types of advice! Is there a Farmer's Forum?! I know it ain't quite right, but a Smallholders Forum sounds a little pervy if you ask me!

Keep in touch!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Go for it David! I love my little farm. I have mostly rescue animals that were abandoned or abused. They have their forever home with me. Completely no kill... They live their lives out until it's time for them to go. Can't think of anything else I would  rather do.
  • Posted

Starting week 6 tomorrow. Today I drove into town to run some errands. It was better driving.. .. Not good but better😀. Step in the right direction!!  
  • Posted

Well tomorrow starts week 11 on 10 mg. driving is a little better but not great yet. My doc gave me a prescription for Xanax to take when I have to drive long distances. I only have to drive maybe 1-2 times a week so I'm not taking this everyday. It actually works great! Not thrilled about taking them but I need to get groceries, feed for my animals, hay and just get away for a afternoon!!  I still get a occasional headache from the cit and some days I don't feel like doing much. Not sure if it's the cit or just old age!!
    • Posted

Well hello again. Been on cit 20 mg for five months now. The driving issues have completely gone now. But just recently started to have the headaches. Pretty sure it's the cit.

I hope you get to a certain point where everything is normal. If there is a such thing lol. Also prescribed xanax. It helps. But if your like me ya feel guilty for taking them. But they do help.

• Posted

Hi Kathy, thanks for the update, glad to hear things are continuing to improve for you. I'm on around week 14 and I really feel like I've got my life back. Being able to that thing that you just couldn't face before for the first time (for me it was running!) is a massive step and it feels so good! I'm sure soon you will be fine without the Xanax, but don't feel guilty if its helping in the short term smile
  • Posted

I think this finally kicked it!!!! Last week was week 14 and driving was actually normal again! Even drove to a wedding about 40 miles away! My son and his girlfriend were with me so I'm usually less anxious with a passenger but I wasn't feeling any anxiety at all! Drove into town a few times with no issues. My doc wanted me to stop at 3 months since it wasn't helping much but I told him I wanted to continue on and see what happened. I'm glad I did. Seems it kicked in between weeks 13 and14. And the headaches are gone also. Hoping it continues. 
  • Posted

Sad to say my sister hit and killed a man ( cyclist ). It was an accident but was charged with a DUI for being on this med. we are fighting but I have lost hope 

No drug user 

No speeding 

No cellphone 

No alcohol 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.