Drunk again

Posted , 9 users are following.

Yes. I'm drunk again. Had 1 and half bottles of wine yesterday. Now half way through a litre of vodka. Found out my partner of 4 years went out Friday with a woman from Alonon. He's moved from aa to alonon now to get his kicks.

I only drink vodka when I'm really really sad. Was sober for several weeks but I've nothing to sober up for now.

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just an update...well I finally got to sleep at 9.30 this morning(for 3 hours) so the phxxxbxx stopped the withdrawals but gave me insomnia. Will let you know how the day progresses. Not looking good tho sad
    • Posted

If it can keep you off the drink for 3 to 4 days (first two are always the worst) then you will be over the hill. Then you will need another medication to help with the craving or something like Selincro, to keep it calm.

It's your own choice, but I think you'd be better with anticraving (Campral) and kick it into touch for awhile. Give your body a rest and your mind.

• Posted

Hi

It is awful the 'not sleeping stage' I think it is part of the withdrawals. But I was also told it is bcuz our minds & central nervous system are suppressed when we drink so much alcohol, so when we stop, our minds literally go into overdrive, hence the 'crazy head' & no sleep!

It does get better each day at a time tho hun so hang in there!

I was wandering did you get the withdrawal tablets online? If there like diazipan they should make you relaxed and hopefully sleepy when they get into your system (hopefully)

• Posted

You are quite correct, in that alcohol is a suppressant, so to cope with that, our minds step up a gear. Then when the alcohol stops, it takes a while for the brain to react and slow down hence it going into overdrive for a few days and not being able to settle into sleep mode.
  • Posted

Hi Paper fairy.... I've been following your discussion here, and haven't seen anything from you for a while... so I'm hoping that you're on the "road to recovery", as you said might be the case if you didn't post anything for a while. Just wanted you to know that people here care about you and hope you're doing well. How did you get on with the doctor?
    • Posted

Hi. Thanks for your message. I'm a week sober now. Did by tapering on lager for a couple of days. Doc wouldn't give me diazepam because of it being addictive. So had to go through a few days of hellish withdrawals. Anyway I've survived.

How are you doing?

• Posted

Hello Paper fairy!  good for you! I - we - are all glad to see you back here. Thank goodness.  Although I'm concerned that your doctor did not seem to be too helpful - I feel frustrated that people have to go through such a hellish scenario, without proper guidance and help.

Thanks for asking - I'm *okay* - started off with huge hopes to totally cut down; on holiday this week away from home, all the usual excuses came up again... so I have not stuck to my goals as much as I wanted to; and I am apparently not a candidate for any of the meds that might help.

But - you know what? - coming *here* really helps.  Talking to people like you, and others, and feeling part of a supportive community, makes me think, "you know what? I'm NOT going to have that 2nd/3rd/4th drink right now. I'm just going to check in here, and sign off, and go to bed."

So - we're all struggling along - and I send you a huge hug of support, from far away.  Good night and bless.

• Posted

Re diazepam..I only had it twice last year and luckily I didn't suffer too much. But I find it hard to understand what is wrong in having a few for few days to prevent bad withdrawal. Surely it's better than drinking heavily.
    • Posted

I don't know why either. Cold turkey is hell for me. Diazepam for two days would probably get me through it, three days would make it comfortable and a fourth day is just a precaustion to err on the safety side. The half life of diazepam is good, which means it is an easy drug to come off of.

There is no logic to it. If you were a heroin user you would get methadone. If you had adult type II diabetes from being fat, eating too much sugar and a bad lifestyle, you would still be give insulin.

Alcoholics, welcome to the world of the red headed (ginger) illegitimate/born out of wedlock (there is another word for that that begins with 'B') step child that nobody wants.

• Posted

Thanks for your support both of you. The docs really don't understand and think it's a matter of self discipline. Plus aren't aware of the dangers of withdrawal. Think I also posted last week that adaction will only give me Antabuse, none of the other 3 re acamprosate, nalmephene or naltrexone. They were very condescending. Hey ho. Will have to go private.
    • Posted

Paul Turner, in another discussion in this forum, posted a link to an article in HuffPost about recent research into how the brain functions during addiction - or what happens to the brain, I mean. It really is a new uncharted area of research, and it's clear that a lot more needs to be done. I am shocked, though, to hear that so many doctors - from what I can gather on these posts - are still blathering on about "self discipline". Even my children know more than that! I'm sorry, I'll try to figure out how to copy the link into this discussion -just tried, failed completely (couldn't copy it). The link is embedded in a discussion on this site called "Does Anybody Else Find the New Drinking Regulations Laughable?"  Paul Turner, who is an alcohol counsellor, posts a link to the article which is called "Understanding Addicition's Three Stages Could Help Us Treat the Disease" (which appeared in the "Healthy Living" section of the Huffington Post / US Edition, on Jan. 28 2016.  Interesting reading.
    • Posted

Thanks for your message and to Tar4 too. I've watched Pauls link on YouTube, found it very useful. I found I have 35 naltrexone left from a year ago that were prescribed for me when I was in rehab Nov 2014. Though the instructions given were wrong, from that dr, so stopped taking them. However if I feel the need to drink now, I shall definately give them a go again, but this time in the correct way, as explained by Paul and Joanna, not everyday when not drinking.

i do still crave a little in the evenings( especially weekends) between 5-8pm so I eat a lot for dinner and they then go. I intend to start the gym again at that time also to conquer the cravings.

Hope everyone who reads this has a successful, happy week. Best wishes xx

• Posted

Im so pleased and proud that u r 7 days sober..

I do agree that a few days of diazipam would of made the withdrawal alot smoother for you.

I do not think it is fair that many doctors will not give out diazipam to alcoholics bcuz it's 'addictive' I believe it is a form of discrimination against us.. it is basically like saying that bcus we have a problem with alcohol then we'll abuse every other drop out there.. but this just isn't true..

I have been prescribed diazipam in the past for alcohol withdrawal and although I had a 2 week supply once I got through the first few days of withdrawal they were left in my cupboard for months, until I needed them again..so not everyone who has an alcohol problem abuses medication!

Diazipam IS listed as a drug used for alcohol withdrawal so it's quite bizarre that it is so rarely prescribed for its purpose!

Also the 'it's addictive' excuse is very poor, alot of drugs are 'addictive' but are readily prescribed by GP's i.e antidepressants!

At least you got through the worse hun the only way is up now xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.