77 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Did you forget the Campral ?

The never-ending fight is HELL !

Take care, my friend.

Love from Alonangel. XX

• Posted

Take it easy on yourself tomorrow Misssy!

• Posted

Reading your replies on this thread from all the supportive friends you have here.  We all know how the 'slips' feel, and the self-anger we feel when it happens.  The mixed bag of emotions and frustration.

I often am reminded of a Ben Franklin quote, when people asked him how come he keeps failing (when he was trying to make a lightbulb).  He said "I didn't fail, I found 1,000 ways NOT to make a lightbulb".

We learn from our slips, and when we share these stories here, all the other great people here know exactly how we feel.  The whirlwind of negative emotions, self loathing, anger at ourselves, the whole nine-yards.

I once broke down at my doctors office, trying to explain how I feel like such an idiot for 'slipping' after making it a few weeks, or a month.  I told him I am a reasonable and rational person and just don't understand why I keep doing this to myself.  

He said to me, quitting drinking is like trying to quit smoking.  You rarely make it on the first dozen or so attempts.  He suggested to me not to put the abstinence-only idea in my head because it can backfire and set you up for a depressing backslide.  And what made me feel good, was when he told me that every slip I make along this path to recovery is an opportunity to stop, reflect, learn, and regroup.  I think this forum and the great people who care about each others' journey help us do just that - collect ourselves, regroup, and get back on the horse.

When a non-alcoholic tries to offer advice I normally want to punch them in the face.  But my doctor has a knack for helping me find silver linings, even in 'failure'.

You can do this!!  You can do it!  You'll make it!  Look how many days you made it before this slide.  You made it over a whole MONTH!  So, yes, you can do it.  Don't let yourself "give in" and continue on the slip-slide.  It's not futile to try to quit.  That said, I know that when a stress, anxiety, or other trigger hits, makes it all feel like a waste of time to try.  Next time if hits you, make a strong pot of coffee, or a strong spot of tea.  Soak in a bubble bath with some candles and soft music and imagine the craving rolling away in the water.

Aside from being such a kind person, you inspire me, Missy.  And my heart goes out to you because I can imagine how you must be feeling right now.

I'm no expert - unless you count my numerous attempts at quitting as making me an expert wink  But if you ever need to reach out directly to chat, maybe voice skype or chat-skype, or want to friend me on facebook (Steve Horgan) - It'd be my honour to be someone you can reach out to to chat in real-time.

Thinking of you.  Remember, you had one slip after more than 30 days.  You had a 97% success rate going -- which only means that if you were able to do that - you can do it again! smile

*hugz*

-steve

• Posted

Very nice, long, thoughtful reply........thank you.

sad...I'm not big fan of being drunk....Its 330pm almost..and i've drank all day...I'm super sick...and so much has happened today as well...

tommorow is another day...thank you again.

• Posted

I love your positive answer Steve. I've replied to misssy but it's being moderated. Don't know why as didn't swear, advertise or meantion any drugs, products etc. Just want to help her ...

• Posted

Really good advice steverz. You are lucky to have a good empathetic doctor, like myself. Hope misssy and others got a lot from your post as I have. Bless you steverz 😇
    • Posted

Hi. I have been trying to make friends with you on Facebook but their are so many people with a similar name. Different countries e c t. I enjoyed your disscusion with missy ( my lovely friend ) so much wisdom & kind support.I would like to send you a friend request if you don't mind ? Thanks in anticipation.

• Posted

Hi again. Maybe a few more details would help..... You will have no difficulty in finding me I'm on my Horse when I'm not drunk!!! Kind regards Susan.Only on Facebook very discreetly oh I don't care  whatever I just want someone to help me & you sound so positive . Bye for now.

• Posted

Hi susan, just nipped in here -you made me laugh about being on your horse when not drunk !!  Facebook bothers me a little - I am on but don't want my friends knowing how bad I have got.  Steve is a bit of a star like so many on here.  You live in lovely Somerset - I split my time in Manchester and at the weekends in the Lake District.  I am hoping to get sorted out on here before it is too late- simply hate this alcohol rubbish.  We can do it I am sure with help from each other.

Keep posting.

G.

• Posted

You do realise that you've basically given millions of people globally your name, where you live and you're desparate to make some friends. You're making yourself vunerable. Should you get a friend request how will you know if it's the same person, and not some weirdo purporting to be someone else

• Posted

The journey gets side-tracked at times, Misssy. Don't lose heart, be good to yourself and know that we love you.

• Posted

my heart is crushed...many reasons...and I now have made it worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.