Dry, burning mouth with Lansoprazole.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I came off Lansoprazole - 30mg daily for four months - last week and am now trying Ranitidine. One of the reasons I asked my GP to come off it was because of a dry, burning mouth. I know it's only been a few days since I stopped taking the Lansoprazole, but can anybody tell me how long it takes before the side effects from Lansoprazole begin to fade?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't know about that one but I took omeprozole last year for my GERD. I was also on statins for high cholesterol. I think it was the combination of the two....started with the runs so stopped both drugs. After that I got pains in my hands and feet...like they'd been smashed with a mallet! Went to A and E but they didn't know what it was...doubted it was the drugs...my GP doubted it too. Eventually it stopped (a week). I think it should have been documented that this can happen but they haven't. So Rosie, the answer I would say about a week?
  • Posted

Hi Rosie,

I changed from 1 x Lansoprazole to 2 x 2 daily of Omeprazole and wish I hadn't. I now have a burning gungy mouth and sore tongue from Omeprazole. I changed because Lansoprazole stopped working on my gastric reflux which is extremely painful. I would also say about a week to get it right out of your system and hope your new drug works well for you. Next time I go to my GP I might ask him about Ranitidine. Have seen it on this site a lot, but never been offered it or knew about it until I joined up here. Please let us know if it is good and I hope it is.

Regards, Val

• Posted

Hy Lynn,

Just read your post to Rosie. I was also on statins but GP kept on having to lower the dose and now I don't take them any more, as with me, they caused skeletal pain and cramp in hands and legs, really painful. My GP said that now and again, there are some people that just can't tolerate statins and have to try to lower their cholesterol through diet. So, personally, I think you might be one of those people that statins doesn't agree with and you're not alone..!!

Regards, Val.

• Posted

I tried statins and ended up on Atorvastatin and still had awful muscle pain - doctor told me to come off for 8 weeks which I did and think it helped quite a lot but do believe from others it takes time to get rid of pain.  Once off, she told me that she did not know why I was on them in the first place!   Cholesterol seems fine and they now say it is better not to be too low.
  • Posted

Hi Val,

You've opened up a new subject. I took statins because my cholesterol was over 5 I think. The problem was that my Mum had vascular dementia due to high cholesterol (arteriosclerosis) I didn't want to risk that happening to me so took them even though I don't like taking drugs. After I had the pains I stopped obviously. I was vegetarian and thought I had a healthy diet but I then tried veganism (not for health reasons, for animal welfare reasons). My cholesterol went down on this diet, it was obviously the dairy that caused high cholesterol! Lynn.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies about Lansoprazole. Hopefully, by the time I go back to my GP in three weeks time, things my mouth will have improved. My GP didn't think it was a side effect of the Lansoprazole, but I've read about many people having the same problem with PPIs - and it does say on the Patient Information Leaflet that this is one of the side effects. I'm still coughing a little in the morning and after eating, but things are definitely better than they were a few months ago. So, with the Lansoprazole for four months and now the Ranitidine - plus Gaviscon and chewing gum - I'm hoping that things will keep on improving - or at least, get no worse! Ranitidine isn't a PPI, so not as powerful. Re statins, I've just started with Atorvastatin as well. I tried Simvastatin last year and couldn't get on with it - awful muscle pains. So, I'll see how I go with this one. Even with watching my diet, my cholesterol is 6.4, so I know I need to get it down.
  • Posted

Hi Lynn. Thanks for your post.

After I had my strokes and heart attacks (5 stents fitted, because I split open during the Angioplasty), I had a brain scan and I have vascular dementia (probably due to TIA's in the past and my high Cholesterol). I now try to keep it lower with my diet as,also one of the strokes left me with damage to the optic nerve. I have near perfect eyes at 70 years old, no age related macular degeneration etc., but sight is failing due to the damage to the nerve. I attended Moorfields when the Optician kept saying my sight hadn't altered and he couldn't see anything at the back of the eye to indicate any illness such as Glaucoma or diabetes and they did a barrage of tests which I'd never had before, before telling me that there was nothing they could do. As you can imagine, I was mortified, as I love my computer and computer games and am an avid reader. However, son linked my desktop to a 40 inch flat screen TV and bought me a Nook reading tablet where you can alter the font size, so I'm good to go...even though I'm registered visually impaired, so Social Services visited and fitted me up with a bright white daylight reading lamp which makes reading so much easier, as we have been forced to use the low energy consumption bulbs that the RNIB say are useless to poor sighted people and also can cause some people violent headaches. Now I have gone completely off track, so will sign off. Keep on with the diet and keep safe.

Regards, Val.

• Posted

Hello again Val,

Goodness, you are a trouper!! I wish you many many years of your persistence and I hope you will keep up with your good life...I am sure your determination keeps you going! Life's short and we must do what we can to enjoy it!! All the best to you, Lynn x

• Posted

Hi Lynn

How are things with you now since we last chatted?

Unfortunately my ARMD has got worse, but still use my computer and try to do my art painting (some disasters..but what the heck, I keep trying to improve) Just did a painting for my youngest son which I think is pretty dire but he likes it, added something to it this morning which has made a bit of an improvement. As my peripheral vision is OK, I sort of painted it from the side view. I am once again here in Frinton on Sea and the first half of the week was glorious sunshine, but changed yesterday with lots of flooding. We went to a tribute show of the story and singing of Simon and Garfunkul, it was extremely good and a lovely night out listening to all those lovely songs..

Now going out, so will chat later xx

• Posted

Thanks Lynn, and you too. Enjoy life while you can. I'm looking forward to another holiday by the sea with my youngest son later this month and some Therapy Shopping as they have much better shops down there than they do in this part of London.

Regards, Val.

• Posted

Rosie, could you cut dairy out of your diet? Or even meat? Much healthier than taking statins. We 're not meant to drink another animals milk, only our own until we're weaned...this is obviously my opinion amongst many...but think about it, it makes sense, calves grow much faster than human babies do, the cow's milk is high in saturated fat for that reason. It doesn't suit us! You'll find your cholesterol will go down! Sorry if there's no way you'll do that, I couldn't help but ask!! Lynn x
  • Posted

Thanks Lynn. I appreciate your suggestion, but, as my diet is limited anyway because of another medical condition, cutting out dairy or meat would leave me with very little! I do only use skimmed milk and low-fat products, so try to eat as healthily as I can.
  • Posted

Hi Rosie,

Thanks for thinking about it..sorry you have those other problems, it's not easy is it!! x Lynn

• Posted

Just wanted to add to this. I recently had an annual dental checkup and my mouth isn't dry at all. This burning feeling - particularly my tongue - began about two months after I was diagnosed with LPR. As I was on Lansoprazole at the time, I thought it may well be the medication. I'm now on Zantac, twice a day. However, I'm now wondering if this feeling is all still to do with the reflux. Is this possible, even though I'm on medication? My voice has improved - although I'm still clearing my throat a little, particularly after meals - yet I've still got this very uncomfortable sensation in my mouth and tongue. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm due to see the GP in ten days and have also arranged for a blood test to check my Vitamin B12 folate level before I see him.
    • Posted

Hi Countrylover,  Thanks for starting this discussion on the ttongue mouth tingling / burning  sensation after the use of Omeprazole. I know its been about a year since your last post but, i wanted to find out whether the burning feeling ever left or what it is as the case may be (that is, if you know).
    • Posted

Hi Countrylover,  Thanks for starting this discussion on the ttongue mouth tingling / burning  sensation after your use of lansoprazole. I know its been about a year since your last post here but, i wanted to please find out whether the burning feeling ever left or what it is as the case may be (that is, if you know).

I had been on Pantroprazole 40mg for a month (the pharmacist told me all the prazole drugs are from the same family of drugs thats why i said Omeprazole in an earlier post but to be hones, my prescription had to be put together for me as it wasnt an on the shelf drug). I finished my prescription about 2 weeks ago but the sensation had started about 2 and a half weeks into the drugs use. I would just like to know if it goes away ..To be fair, i have had a day or two where the sensation doesn't or barely occurs or times in the day when it doesnt occure at all, but when it does occure it is uncomfortable.

I'd be really thankful to hear from you about this.

Thank you

Thank you for this.

• Posted

I'm now off all medication for LPR - apart from Gaviscon Advance - as it wasn't making much difference anyway.  All blood tests and various investigations were clear.  The burning mouth has gone - it gradually got better after I came off the Lansoprazole - and hasn't come back, so that is a relief.  I never did find out exactly what caused it, but  I'm now managing the LPR with diet and taking the Gaviscon as and when.  Unfortunately, the LPR has meant that I've had to stop singing  - I was in a choir - as the hoarseness became much worse after rehearsals or concerts.

So, yes, whether it was the medication or not, mine did go away and I hope that things improve quickly for you, as it's a horrid sensation.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Countrylover, I have the same symptons and are now considering taking h g myself off the prazoles for good and just rely on the Gaviscon Advance which I often have to take anyway. Thanks for this advice, I really appreciate it after being on the darn things for so long

Kind regards, Val.

• Posted

Hi Lulpitt, I'm now going to ask the same question you asked Cheetah about a year ago: Did the burning feeling ever go in your case? If it did, how long did it take to subside/cease? I am in exactly the same position as you were when you wrote the post; I've now been off of omeprazole for 2 weeks and still have a burning mouth (I had taken it intermittently for around 3 months - it took me all of that time to connect the two, otherwise I would have been off of it much sooner).

Your reply would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Lauren

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.