Dry, burning mouth with Lansoprazole.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I came off Lansoprazole - 30mg daily for four months - last week and am now trying Ranitidine. One of the reasons I asked my GP to come off it was because of a dry, burning mouth. I know it's only been a few days since I stopped taking the Lansoprazole, but can anybody tell me how long it takes before the side effects from Lansoprazole begin to fade?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh and I often chew gum after eating and this seems to help too.  :-)
    • Posted

I can't xhew gum as I have false teeth, but find tic-tacs a great help.

• Posted

Honestly, I am so glade that I came across this thread.

I started taking Zegerid OTC (its main ingredient is omeprazole) on Aug. 9, 2016 and at first it was AMAZING.

11 days went by and I needed to get off the pill IMMEDIATELY!

Horrible dry throat and mouth, weird feeling in my tongue, and HORRIBLE anxiety. It's not Aug. 24, 2016 and I have not taken the pill since the 19th. That was 11 days on the medicin and now I'm 5 days removed from my last dose.

I will admit my side effects are not "as bad" as they once were, but they are still awful. Does anyone know how long it takes before side effects wear off? I would assume an 11 day cycle cannot be too much long of effects but it would be great if someone could help me out.

My anxiety was so bad that on Aug. 20, 2016 I was out with friends and before the night began, I had to go home and just laid down and watch a movie instead of being out enjoying this summer night.

Any words of reassurance from anyone here? I know it's an older thread, but this sucks. 😔

• Posted

Hi Cheetah,

I see further down in the discussion you said that your burning mouth eventually went away. I know this was over three years ago but could you tell me approximately how long it took for the burning to cease after coming off of lansoprazole (weeks? months? closer to a year? - gulp!). I have now been off of omeprazole for 3 weeks and the burning has remained; I'm hoping you can give me a bit of hope smile. I have had the burning sensation for 3 months now and am certain it was omeprazole that caused this.

Your reply would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Lauren

• Posted

Hi Lauren.  So sorry to hear that you're suffering with a burning mouth - it's really horrid.  From what I can remember it took about a month after I stopped the Lansoprazole before it went altogether.  I believe it got better gradually until I suddenly realised it had gone.  Thankfully, it hasn't returned.  

If yours doesn't improve I think it's definitely worth going back to your GP.  I'm sure he/she could do something to help.  I would definitely have seen my GP if the burning hadn't gone when it did.    How long had you been taking Omeprazole?  I took Lansoprazole for about three months, so, if you've been taking the Omeprazole for longer than that, then the burning mouth may last longer.  I wonder, also, if your mouth is dry after taking Omeprazole, which won't help.  I do remember that taking regular sips of cold water and chewing gum helped me a lot.

I hope things soon improve for you.  Take care.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying and so quickly as well. It's really kind of you and I very much appreciate your reply. 

I would say I was also taking omeprazole for about three months (although not every day) and the burning sensation started two weeks into this. In that time I thought of every cause under the sun, except omeprazole! I have no doubt now that it is the cause of the burning and it may have actually been this discussion that finally made me connect the two - so thank you for this as well!

Given that yours took around a month to go, I have hope that mine will go too (and soon). I haven't found the doctor's to be helpful at all; they initially insisted I had oral thrush (going on the burning sensation alone) and it took over a month to get the go ahead for basic blood tests. I have a hospital appointment in September but am hoping it will have gone by then. 

Water and chewing gum only help very temporarily - but thank you for the suggestions. I have indeed noticed that, in addition to the burning, my mouth has felt drier in the last few weeks but I've had a checkup with the dentist and she said all looked healthy. I don't mind putting up with this if it's only for a few more weeks (fingers crossed).

Thank you again for taking the time to reply; you have helped me more than anyone! Bless you.

• Posted

I was on Lansoprazole for 5 months 1 time a day, My ENT said I had LPR and sent me to the Gastro .when that didn't help the Gastro said take it 2 x a day. Even after complaining about a burning tongue. All he was insisting that I have a colonoscopy when I really wanted an endoscopy. I agreed to have both tests. The results were... Oh yes you have GERD but no damage. I had changed my diet  but still couldn't eat anything. I started at 115 pounds and now weigh 105. Months of no appetite and burning tongue. I quit the PPI's cold turkey because I didn't know otherwise. This sent me into panic attacks that we unbearable and did not know this was a side effect. I have had burning tongue since May 2017 and quit the PPI'S end of August. It is now almost Dec 2017 and my tongue is still burning but not like it was. I went to a new primary DR had blood work. Vit B levels ok but I am taking extra B12.. She gave my Mystatin to swish in my mouth 4 x a day for 30 days. Does help some. Also started a good probiotic. I do chew gum at night due to dry mouth. Switched to a natural toothpaste with no mint. Chew on ice chips and chew gum after meals. So 3 months after stopping the Lansoprazole I still have BMS and can not even eat food with any flavoring at all, my tongue senses it right away. I have regained my appetite and just try to deal with it. I really have no acid burning symptons. I am female age 62 and do feel stress makes the tongue burning worse. But I also feel those awful PPI drugs maybe have burned off our taste buds on our tongue. I can only imagine what it does to the rest of our bodies. Stay off those meds  !!!!! This is an awful situation and most Dr's do not address this because they don't even understand it.

• Posted

Hi beth41334,

I thought I would send you a message in response to your post. I believe what we are both experiencing is drug-induced peripheral neuropathy—basically the PPIs gave us nerve damage! The good news is that this kind of nerve damage should heal, but it takes time. How long depends on the person, I guess. As in your case, my burning mouth is aggravated by certain foods (spices, mint, etc). There have been weeks where the burning has almost stopped (the numbness has always remained to some degree) but it doesn’t take much to aggravate my mouth again… and for the burning to continue for weeks on end.

I first got indigestion because I look some liquid Vitamin D (have no idea why I reacted this way to the liquid form). The mistake I made was taking omeprazole to treat the indigestion. Far from treating it, it actually made it one hundred times worse! The moment I stopped taking the drug, the indigestion ceased. However, the burning mouth continued. 

It’s been a nightmare, but I have learned a valuable lesson: I will never take medication (or indeed vitamin supplements) again unless absolutely necessary; I don’t even take ibuprofen anymore. I wonder how many people are actually ill because of their medication but just haven’t connected the two.

I'm sending a positive message out to the universe: both yours and my mouth will heal in time for christmas!

Best wishes,

Lauren

• Posted

Hi Lauren,

I see that you had very similar problem. I am taking lansoprazole for a year now because my LES isn’t working properly. Although I was off for almost a month and a half.

My problems also started with vitamin D liquid supplement - 25000 UI. Nausea, extreme reflux, indigeston ... so I started lansoprazole again and as 15 mg wasn’t enough I took 30mg till this too wasn’t enough and ai started taking 60mg per day. This lasts now 3 weeks ... Nausea is a bit better, but still no appetite and horrible reflux. And that feeling of burning mouth ... 

Please let me know how did you solve this. Did you have reflux  after taking vitamin d too? 

Thank you,

Aya

• Posted

Hi Aya,

I am sorry to hear this--I really hope all your problems resolve ASAP!

I'll give you the background to my symptoms in the hope that it can help you:

In 2015, I had a sore throat and was advised by a friend to gargle with aspirin (I must have done this several times a day for the period of my cold). Anyway, the cold got better but I then had two weeks of continual indigestion as a direct result of gargling with the aspirin. I went to the doctors about this and was told that the aspirin was likely the cause of the indigestion and that if it didn't resolve by itself, I could take omeprazole. The indigestion went away within a few days of seeing the doctor and so I didn't need to take any omeprazole.

In 2017, I took a liquid form of vitamin D designed for babies (8.5 mcg)! I supplemented with this vitamin for several days and as a result got unrelenting indigestion again. I put up with this indigestion for only about two days before I started taking (my Dad's) omeprazole (I thought it was safe to do so based on the doctor's advice in 2015 and the fact that my Dad had always found the drug to be very good for his indigestion symptoms). My indigestion persisted despite taking the omeprazole and within a few weeks I began getting the symptoms of a burning mouth (at this point I didn't connect the two). I carried on taking the omeprazole for a further 2 months until I realised that the burning in my mouth may be a side effect of the drug. Once I stopped taking the omeprazole, the indigestion resolved within about a day but the burning in my mouth continues to this day.

In my case, omeprazole worsened and prolonged my indigestion symptoms. I believe that if I had just stopped taking the vitamin D supplement, the indigestion would have got better by itself (like it did in 2015, after taking aspirin). Recently I began taking spatone liquid iron supplements as I have low iron stores; I tolerated this better than the vitamin D and aspirin but after about a month, I began getting indigestion symptoms again! I stopped taking the spatone and hey presto, the indigestion resolved by itself.

To summarise, I am very sensitive to supplements: aspirin, liquid vitamin D, omeprazole and now spatone have ALL individually caused me to have prolonged indigestion, and in each case, once I stopped taking the drug/vitamin, the indigestion went away (within 1 day - 2 weeks). I personally never needed to take omeprazole; I generally don't get indigestion and when I have experienced it, it has always been directly caused by something I was taking.

I still have the burning and numb mouth but now believe that this is more likely caused by a jaw problem I have, for which I am going to see a chiropractor on Monday. The fact that I got the burning mouth after taking omeprazole may have just been a horrible coincidence or it may indeed have been a side effect of the drug -- I shall find out in the coming weeks and months.

In your case, could it be that the vitamin D supplementation caused the worsening symptoms of reflux and nausea and that the increased dosage of lansoprazole is perpetuating the reflux symptoms? Have you stopped taking the vitamin D?

Best wishes,

Lauren

• Posted

Hi Lauren,

thank you very much.

I think that vitamin supplement was just too mich for my stomach. But I can’t quit lansoprazol because of my LES . So I am stuck until my body will eliminate all vitamin d and I have no idea how long it will take. Struggling with it for 3 weeks now is extremely exhausting.

Best,

Aya

• Posted

HI Lauren

Sorry that 6 months ago I did not see your post. I hope you are feeling better now. I have been off those PPI's since end of August 2017. I now feel so much better. Gained back 10 pounds, I eat very carefully and little to no seasonings or spices.My tongue even feels better, Every so often I get a morning burning throat and very dry mouth. I now once in a while get a heartburn in my chest. I am like you and try to stay away from meds. I go back to sleeping elevated, gum, ice chips, and Rolaids, They work well for the burn. This is such a horrible situation and I hope everyone on this thread can find relief for themselves.I do take a 25 billion pro biotic everyday. Let me know how you are doing, all the best !

Beth

• Posted

Hi Aya,

When I took aspirin, I believe it did some damage to my esophagus/stomach, which I remember took around 2 weeks to heal by itself.

When I took vitamin D, I believe that this also did some damage to my esophagus/stomach but I have no idea how long it would have taken for my body to heal this damage because I started taking omeprazole shortly after getting the first symptoms of reflux, which only exacerbated the problem (I know this because the indigestion stopped within a few days of coming off omeprazole, which I had been taking most days for three months). I believe that in my case, if I hadn’t have taken the omeprazole, the indigestion symptoms would have healed in a matter of weeks after stopping vitamin D supplementation. 

I know your case is very different to mine (different problem + different dosages), but could you be similar to me in that, although vitamin D caused your worsening symptoms, might it be omeprazole (in your case a higher dose) that is compounding these symptoms? Were you on 60mg/day of omeprazole prior to taking vitamin D? If you weren’t, could you not try lowering your dose slowly to the original dose you were taking that worked for you? Given that you stopped taking vitamin D three weeks ago (if I read this correctly), your body would have been healing in that time the damaged caused by the vitamin D, so maybe your need for omeprazole is less now? Could it be the higher dose of omeprazole that is prolonging the misery?

In my case, I was taking omeprazole to treat the symptoms, which omeprazole itself was worsening… which led me to take more omeprazole, and the cycle continued.

I really hope you feel better soon. If the omeprazole isn’t worsening your symptoms, then it won’t be long before your body heals itself.

Best wishes,

Lauren

• Posted

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the message. I am glad you are feeling better than before. Yes, like you, I hope everyone gets relief from these horrible symptoms.

My burning mouth continues but I'm going to see a chiropractor soon to see if it is my jaw that is causing this problem after all (I've had a TMJ problem for 5 years). Despite what I thought previously, omeprazole may not be the culprit for my burning + numb mouth (although it does still seem too much of a coincidence that I got these symptoms after taking omeprazole for the first time). Even so, I know in my case that omeprazole still definitely caused more harm than good.

I will keep the thread posted as to whether I have any success with the chiropractor.

Best wishes,

Lauren

• Posted

Yes Lauren please keep us posted. Hope you get relief soon.

All the best

Beth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.