dry mouth

Posted , 7 users are following.

This has been going on for about six months now.  it use to be on and off but now its like everyday constant.  i have tried the biotene mouth wash, the sprays, cold water.  nothing seems to help me.  i had it before and it went away.  but now it doesnt seem to be doing that.  has anyone tried anything else besides the mouth wash and spray??????  so tired of it. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

Dry mouth is one of the symptoms of the autoimmune condition, Sjogren's syndrome. Some SS sufferers have it constantly, but in others - like me - it comes and goes. Why don't you check out the Sjogren's forum on this site? People share a lot of helpful tips over there.

• Posted

Do you have other health conditions or taking medications ? 

I see that lily has brought up Sjogren already 

• Posted

JUST TAKING DUAVEE FOR HORMONES.  NO I DONT HAVE ANY HEALTH ISSUES.

DR SAYS I HAVE GEOGRAPHIC MOUTH AND GAVE ME SOME LIQUID MEDICINE TO SWISH AROUND IN MY MOUTH WHICH TASTED NASTY.  IT WORKED FOR A BIT AND WENT AWAY.  NOW ITS BACK AND NOW I CANT SEEM TO GET MY TONGUE TO QUIT BURNING.  SUCKS

• Posted

Karen, there's also something called "burning mouth syndrome". I don't know much about it but it might be worth googling.

• Posted

Karen there is something called burning mouth syndrome or also called burning tongue syndrome. I have it but I've been very fortunate that mine is not bothering me right now. There is a group on Facebook if you do Facebook. They're pretty active. There's also a burning tongue group on Patient too. You definitely need to go see your dentist about this. There is no cure for it but there are a variety of treatments that people will use to help with the pain and discomfort of burning mouth syndrome.

• Posted

Hi amkoffee, im suffering with burning tongue/mouth syndrome - i feel like it started when i was taking Amitritplyine 10mg - could that be the cause of this? I was on them for over 5 weeks and just took my last tablet sat so i am hoping this will wear off!

​Thanks, Karen

• Posted

Welcome to my world. As someone's already mentioned it is a possibility that your dry mouth is due to Sjogren's syndrome. In addition to dry mouth you also have to have dry eyes. Symptoms of dry eyes would include eyes that water a lot which seems contrary but that's actually what they'll do; they will also feel like they have something in them; you might also sometimes have trouble seeing particularly up close. If this is the case and you have both of these symptoms you will definitely want to go see your GP. He will probably run a blood test. The blood test can come up negative even if you have Sjogren's syndrome. If it does come up negative then he may want to do a lip biopsy which is the sure way to determine if you have Sjogren's syndrome.

Good luck on your journey. I hope you find some success one way or another.

• Posted

Good post, but I would take you up on the assertion that a lip biopsy is the sure way to determine whether the patient has Sjogren's or not.

The Sjogren's boards on this site are littered with people who've had a negative lip biopsy but clearly have the symptoms of the condition, and have been diagnosed with it. I'm afraid Sjogren's is a slippery customer!

I've never had a lip biopsy myself. It's not entirely without risk of permanent nerve damage and it would have been irrelevant in my case as I would never agree to take any of the drugs prescribed for Sjogrens - e.g. DMARDs and immunosuppressants.

However, I can confirm that all the usual inflammation markers associated with Sjogren's come and go in my twice-yearly blood tests, with very little relation to my symptoms at any given time. Severe dry mouth, with painful, bleeding cracks at each corner of my mouth, was my first Sjogren's syndrome, lasting about a year before it suddenly cleared up (to be replaced by dry eyes and peripheral neuropathy). However, the anti-salivary gland antibodies only showed up in my blood two years later, when the mouth symptoms had largely cleared up!

• Posted

That's good to know because my rheumatologist did the blood test for me which came back negative and I told her I did not want to do the lip biopsy. I figured I would just continue to treat the symptoms. Although my mouth is very dry it's not like yours where you have cracks at the sides of your mouth or anything. My biggest problem is with my eyes they've gotten so dry that I have problems reading. I've tried the Restasis which I'm on now as well as the OTC drops. I wear prescription glasses that are bifocal but I went out the other day and bought reading glasses I put those over my prescription glasses and that helps me read a little bit longer. Because I can read for a little bit but within about 5 or 10 minutes of reading my eyes start to blur and then I can't see the words

• Posted

I sympathise totally about the eyes. I'm just coming out of a year-long problem with particularly dry eyes. I'm a bit unusual (and lucky!) in that all my Sjogren's symptoms come and go, sometimes leaving me in periods of total remission, where I have no symptoms of any kind. I still have to use eyedrops containing hyaluronidase several times a day, but seem to be on the mend at the moment. Last year it got to the point where I was developing the start of corneal abrasions on my left eye, but they've cleared up now. I can't read for too long either without things going blurry, but I'm not too bad at the moment. I always use my drops before and during reading or computer work. The ophthalmologist also told me to try and remember to blink more often when I'm reading too, to keep spreading the tears over the surface.

Do you wear industrial goggles when you go out in cold, dry, windy weather? I do. I got them at a British opticians, so they're optically neutral. (Some of the cheaper ones can distort your vision a bit.) I find these help a lot in bad weather, and I'm past caring what I look like!

Funnily enough, the dry mouth has rarely bothered me since that first severe attack more than 20 years ago. My mouth and throat get very dry during the night, and I occasionally have a bout of my lips sticking to my gums, but it never lasts very long.

I've got so used to this over the past 22 years that like you, I just treat the various symptoms while I have them and assume they'll go away if I wait long enough!

• Posted

I like your sense of humor. But since I suffer from chronic pain I am at home on my couch most of my days especially bad days because I can not afford to fall. So I don't think the goggles will be necessary. My Dr did tell me to blink a lot so I make a point of doing that. I have also recently discovered that if I wear readers over my glasses I can see for a little bit longer. Lol see I don't care how I look either.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have such severe health problems, but glad that you're making some progress with coping with your dry eyes. Sometimes the solutions we come up with ourselves turn out to be more valuable than a doctor's advice.

• Posted

Hi Karen. I suffered from dry mouth syndrome due to medication. I had it fir years. Chewing gum helped a little but im sorry but i could find anything apart from removing the cause. Im sorry you dont know what its from. Have you had your saliva glands checked. My main advice to you is keep it moist as possible with water or something else. See your dentist. I cannot stress how important that is. You should be using a high flouride toothpaste duch as flour 5000 which is over the counter where i am. Biotene as much as you can take. Keep trying to find something. I dont want to scare  you but my teeth rotted from the gum up due to this condition. I eventually had to have them all removed (last october). I got fed up with trying to overcome this problem so gave up. So my advice is Dont give up. Sorry i cant give you any other treatments but Dentist @ every 2 months. There maybe a new product. Find out the cause. Most antidepressants cause it as do a load of other ones.
  • Posted

Oxybutinin is 1 of the worst. Thats what major cause f mine. I was prescribed a very abnormal dose. I took it for years. Id sue the dr who prescribed it if i could remember his name. Pure negligence. I would have tried going without or a much lower dose. So anything that says it will dry it up for you eg antihistamines used for allergy or sudofed usd mainly for sinus problems. Naturopathic consult?
  • Posted

Sorry I pressed reply again but while I'm here I can bag you about the dentist

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.