Due a hysterectomy and need advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I have 3 cysts, 2 the size of oranges on my left ovary, and one the size of a grapefruit on my right ovary. I have had a call from the hospital today to tell me I have to see the anesthetist at the end of March, and if everything is ok then my operation should be at the end of April. I have to have open surgery, and the surgeon said the incision will be from side to side due to my tummy as I am overweight.

I would love to hear from people who have been through this as I am scared silly! Also any tips with recovery and anything I should be taking into hospital, anything really, I would be really grateful smile

Thank you

Dawn x

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dawn, I also had a 10inch cyst which had wrapped around my ovary,, I also had too have open surgery but my scar is from my belly button to my nether regions. When told I needed a full hysterectomy I was so scared but knew I needed the operation to get The Mass out ( all the doctors knew was I had a large mass and didn't know what it was until they took it out and then it had to be sent for a biopsy) I was very lucky it turned out to be benign). As you will have stitches recovery will be a little longer but try to walk little and often, it really helps. It's been 14 months now since my operation and feel so much better. I am now taking HRT and sleep better, no hot flushes , it's wonderful. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask me. Regards Debs.
  • Posted

Two women in my family had total hysterectomy's a few years ago, they both say it was the best thing they could have done. One of them was overweight too.

From what I remember them saying, it was sore but it really wasn't to painful. Top tip - a small firm pillow which you can clutch firmly to your abdomen as you move will help when you try to stand, sit or lie down.

Another good website to visit is Hystersisters. Its forum has lots of information about the surgery and what to expect.

Take it slow and easy, follow the doctors orders and you’ll be just fine.

Good luck, and a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Another good tip is to get a nightdress with buttons down the front, this is much better than pyjamas and you don't have to stretch to get a nightdress over your head. Debs.
  • Posted

Thank you both so much for that, I will certainly be getting some pillows and button up nighties. My Daughter is away at Uni so we are going to put her bed downstairs for me so I don't have to do the stairs. The reason I have to an incision across is because I have a large belly and they cant go underneath because of infection so they are going straight across the top of it. I am trying to lose weight but Im finding exercise difficult beause of the breathlessness and back pains, plus I am a bit worried they may pop!

Another question I had is I have IBS and Im a little worried that I will need to go and be stuck in bed unable to move, as when I need to go I have to get to a loo sharpish.I did have the idea to only have cuppa soup for two days before to make sure theres nothing in there lol!!

How long do you have to stay in hospital?

Thanks Dawny x

• Posted

Hi Dawn, I had my operation on the Thursday afternoon and came home on Sunday morning. I had trouble going to toilet after my op and the hospital gave me sachets to bring home with me. You will probably be given dressings for your wound so having someone to help you in and out the bath and helping you with your dressings was a god send for me. Debs.
  • Posted

Have you had your appointment with the anesthetist yet? xx
  • Posted

No, my qppointment is on the 27th so a week today. Im hoping he will ok the op as I just want it over with rolleyes
  • Posted

Let's us know how you get on. Will be thinking of u xx
  • Posted

Awhh thanks Debs smile I will x

• Posted

Well I have seen the aneathetist today, she says I am fit enough for the operation, but I have to go back in two weeks for blood tests and an ecg first. I was told the op would be April 28th, but going to wait until I get my confirmation letter.

So, I would appreciate any tips on what to take to the hospital, and anything to help my recovery at home. Its looking like I may end up sleeping on the sofa as I cant afford a single bed to put downstairs, and Im not sure if I will be able to get upstairs as I have been advised not too. Also if anyone knows where I can buy nighties than button up the front so I don't have to try and reach above my head that would be great.

Im flippin terrified but need it doing as I cant continue to cope with all the pain and discomfort the cysts are causing. rolleyes

Dawny x

• Posted

Thanks great news Dawn, at the moment you will be frightened and all different things will be going through your head but seriously you will feel so much better after, I too was scared as I had never had a operation in my life before but now am feeling great. I was unsure about taking HRT at first but I'm feeling fine. I got my nightdresses from TKMaxx , you will probably find it's easier to wear a nightdress around the home than get dressed, but you must walk as much as possible , little and often..All the best Debs x
  • Posted

Hi everyone

The hospital called yesterday, my operation has been confirmed for 28th April, and my pre-assessment is on 14th April, so not long now. I am ordering some button up nighties from matalan online on Friday when I get paid (only £6 each!) I am going to look in town for some of that dry shampoo and also some babywipes to use until I can have a bath.

Has anyone who had an abdominal hysterectomy been able to manage the stairs? Also will I be able to get dressed myself, and when can I have a bath. If anyone knows anything else I will need please let me know smile

Thanks

Dawn x

• Posted

That's good news, soon be over and done with and you will be feeling so much better. With my hysterectomy I had a incision downwards but I'm lucky I live in a bungalow so no stairs for me. While I was in hospital my bathroom had a shower and I was encouraged to shower or bath as soon as possible. Yes you will be able to dress your self but you will probably stay in night clothes for a few days . Hope this helps Debs x
  • Posted

Hi guys

Well I have ordered my nighties, got two cushions for coughing, and have all my toiletrees except toothpaste. I am currently having a period from hell despite the tablets they gave me, am so glad this should be the last one!! Debating whether to take my kindle, as I have read most people just want to sleep. I know I am going to forget something!!

Hope you are all well

Dawny x

• Posted

Take your Your Kindle with you , I found you only slept a lot on day of surgery after that you get bored between visiting hours, I played games on my mobile and read lots of magazines. Just think in a couple of weeks all your pain will be over. Let us know how you are after op. Best Wishes Debs x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.