Due for a colonoscopy next week and I’m feeling anxious

Posted , 7 users are following.

Started  about ten weeks ago, constant upset tummy, and very unpleasant smells, loose stools.  I’ve changed my diet to a low residue.  Doctor thinks it could be crohns.  I thought it was food poisoning but I’ve has 2 stool tests and bloods done.  I’m wondering will I ever be able to get back to normal.  When I go out I have to have an empty tummy.  It’s making me feel so fed up.  

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, i was diagnosed last week, similar simptoms to you but instead of an upset tummy it was a constant uncomfortable feeling, after colonoscopy, stool test and bloods i was told it was chron's but reading peoples experiences im not convinced, i have asked for a second opinion and what specifically have they had from the tests to say its chron's, i didnt ask at the time as i wasnt expecting it 😯

• Posted

That’s really odd.  I have had pains too but can’t keep anything down,  I’m sorry to hear about your pain,  perhaps you could ask someone for more information.  Where your stool and blood tests ok ? They said mine were satisfactory 
    • Posted

Im eating fine, sometimes a little bit gassy after food. Only problems i have now are loose stools (sometimes) and a uncomfy feeling in my stomach area. I have asked to see if the consultant can give me more info, just waiting on it now.
    • Posted

I’m finding that sticking to a low residue diet helps me,  I’m also really gassy and it’s not always a very pleasant smell (without being too crude )  I hope the consultant can give you some good answers Colin 
  • Posted

Hi,  My best advice to you is wait for the results of the colonoscopy and all the tests.  Don't imagine things are wrong until you are told more information.  I know its very hard to worry, I have been there and so have a lot of people.  If you are diagnosed with Crohns or Colitus you should be placed on medication.  If you are, don't expect a quick fix as there is not one for this illness and everyone is totally different.  You will get your life back but as I say everyone is different and it takes different times and medication in everyone. Worry and stress will make things worse.  Good luck and when you get your results make sure you discuss with your Consultant.  Write questions down before you go because you do forget when you are in the Consultation.  Also please do not worry about the Colonoscopy, it will give you answers.  The only thing I worried about was facing my Consultant after he did it knowing where he had been, so to speak and l.o.l.  Good luck.

• Posted

Lol thank you Maureen.  I do find myself getting more stressed and I know I need to calm down.  That’s a good idea to write down some questions, thank you 
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your problems Lisa, I can totally sympathise, my tummy hasn't felt right for about 3 years now, and in recent months it has been constant, whereas before I used to get breaks lasting a few weeks before it would flare up again.

I'd be interested to know what yours and Colins blood and stool test results were like. I had two separate stool samples tested for faecal calprotectin and blood, and although there was no blood, my calprotectin results were >1400 and >300. With those results, especially the first one, I was expecting something to be found during the follow up blood tests and colonoscopy. However, my blood tests were fine when they should have shown raised white blood cell counts, and the colonoscopy and biopsies came back as normal, in fact I was told my colon, terminal ileum and rectum looked very healthy, all that was found were haemorrhoids. From that info, I have been told by the majority of people, two being health professionals, that I don't have Crohns Disease, however there have been a couple that said that there still could be a possibility of Crohn's, but then I also discovered that haemorrhoids can become inflamed and are likely to cause higher calprotectin results. Two doctors have told me that as my colonoscopy was so good, the likelihood of me having Crohn's is very rare. Also, this test can pick up inflammation anywhere along your gut, so you could even have a sore throat and it can make the result positive.

A colonoscopy could well show something up, and is therfore definitely worth having done, I've had two done and although they aren't pleasant, I coped with them, and I'm a wuss when it comes to any sort of hospital procedure. The worst part is the bowel prep by far. Just be ready for nothing to be found, it does happen and quite frequently too!

• Posted

Thank you Paul, I will have to ask them re the stool tests as this has now got me thinking.  Sorry to hear about your problems too and thank you  but I’m sorry that your none the wiser, I think this is what is worrying me too 
  • Posted

Hi. Lisa

Don't worry, once your colonoscopy is performed your doc. will have a better understanding of your current health situation. The procedure itself is a piece of cake. I've had 5 in the last 6 yrs. You prep the day before your procedure and when you arrive they will explain everything to you. They say you will be in a semiconcious state but I never remember anything and the next thing you know, a nurse is caliing you by name and you wake up

waiting for a loved one, friend or family member to come pick you up.

You'll be fine. We are rooting for you.

Tell us how it turns out.

• Posted

HI Lisa

Yes, stress can make the symptoms much worse.  I have had Crohns for many years and once on a medication I was fairly well controlled.  I have a colonoscopy every 2 yrs UGH--due next month

The diagnosis was confirmed by colonoscopy.  The worse part of that test is the 24 hr day before with the bowel prep.  I don't worry about the actual scope at all anymore--just the day before.   My symptoms come and go -- I guess maybe a flare up and sometimes lasts for days and then gone for a time.  Watch what you eat,  maybe even keep a food diary to see what makes symptoms worse.

All of us are different though.  It's better to have a confirmed diagnosis and go from there.  Best wishes,  Gloria

• Posted

Thanks Gloria 
  • Posted

Have you been tested for C-Diff? If not it would be a good idea. It will cause the symptoms that you are having and it is known to produce real foul smelling stools. 
  • Posted

No, what is that ? Sorry I’m new to this 

thank u 

• Posted

C -diff is a bacterial infection that is often hard to treat and can be caused by overuse of antibiotics at times

I know you said you had a stool test and they probably tested for that but you could ask about it.  The colonoscopy will be the most helpful for them to determine what is causing your symptoms

• Posted

Thanks Gloria.  I wouldn’t say I have taken a lot of antibiotics at all so I’m guessing it can’t be that either 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.