due to introduce mirt tonight

Posted , 13 users are following.

Dear all

I have been suffering with depression for six months and have been taking citalopram 40mg without any significant level of recovery. This is the first time I have experienced depression and cannot believe how gruelling it is! my doctor told me to reduce to 20mg of cit for two weeks then introduce mirtazipine. I have done this and due to start mirt tonight 15mg as well as take 20 cit every other day.

I have read through so many posts and mirtazipine seems to get a lot of negative feedback. Has anyone please got any positive posts on this med..don't want another six months of this Iillness so desperately hoping this will work for me. Many thanks for your views xx

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine, 

I'm sorry you are in this bind.  I'd like to ask, was there a preciptating event or thought process that led to your depression?  Are you seeking therapy?  The drugs are not the cure, but simply a band-aid while you do the work of dealing with the thought processes that lead to suffering.  Otherwise, you risk a life of multi-drugging, chasing the anxiety, depression, insomnia etc. that the drugs ultimately fail to fix.  In fact, these symptoms occur as withdrawal effects when the drugs poop out and aren't in fact the original illness.  If you do the work, through CBT and other methods, to deal with the underlying issues that led to depression/anxiety, you can eventually be free of ever needing the drugs.  I'll send you a pm with information for self-help. 

I wish you success and healing!

• Posted

Hi Lorraine , I'm not a doctor but I to was put on this by my doctor and really helped me feel better and also helped me with insomnia . The only problem I had was with weight gain but everybody is different . I did however stop taking this with no problems. It was great while I was on this medicine, it did take a week to get used to if I recall and I slept very well while taking it. Good luck hope this helps you.

Happy Holidays

Pat

• Posted

Thank you very much Pat. I am feeling so much more confident in giving it a whirl! If I could gain some weight that would be an added bonus! Your post means a lot to me and I'm sincerely greatful xxx
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine,

You are very welcome! I take it about 9pm and usually head off to bed 10-11pm. It will make you woozy for a few days but it will soon pass.

• Posted

Thank you sheila

i will go for 9 then. Support has been amazing...so very thankful x

• Posted

Hi Lorraine.

I have been on mirtazapine for about 4 years now and I have to say it has been a life saver for me. It does make you sleep which is good and I put on about 2 and a half stone, but I did go down to 6 stone (not good) when the depression was at its worst. It does help with appetite if you have not been eating.  Iam also about your age. Depression is a horrible illness, I know how you must be feeling. Good luck with the mirtazapine, I hope you get good results with it, anything is worth a try.

Elaine.

• Posted

Elaine. ..how great to get your post. I'm feeling positive about giving it a go! I'm almost excited! Lol.

its so great to get positive posts when your feeling anxious. My anxiety is now zero! All thanks to yours and others on this forum today.

big huge thank you xx xx

god bless you xxxx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine, I am currently on Mirtazapine, and have been on one 30mg pill at night for just over 3 weeks. It's probably a little too early to say if it has helped,

I'm told 4 weeks is the absolute minimum before change starts.

Prior to that I tried Citalopram 40mg for 8 weeks but didn't feel any difference. But what works for one may not work for another! I think, chemically, my brain was possibly 'messed up' a little from taking a drug called Tegretol which I had to take for 3 months for a hellish nerve pain condition called Trigeminal Neuralgia, which is also a pill used to 'bring down' people with severe mania...and I wasn't told this! I really hope Mirtazapine works for you and you get better!

• Posted

Thank you Jason

I have just taken my first tablet! did you get very tired on this med? I am praying it will be better than citalopram.

are you feeling a little better since taking mirt? I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond to me Jason. Please let me know how you get on.

God bless and sincere thanks to you xxx

• Posted

Hi lorraine

​How did it go for you last night are you ok? x

• Posted

Bless you Ian! So far so good feeling tired that's all at the moment. How wonderful of you to think of me. I am hoping this is not the calm before the storm lol!

Hugs and gratitude to you. Hope you are doing okay? How are you feeling?

Lorraine x

• Posted

Hi lorraine

​im fine thanks when i first started the mirt i was tired for the first two weeks then the mert started to work for me and the tierdness went away and started to feel normal again hope you are feeling better soon i know what you are going through not nice for anyone take care of yourself x

• Posted

Thanks Ian

very tired today and seem to have a cold. I am also still tapering off citalopram so have both mirtazipine and citalopram in my system! Looking forward to just be on mirt to see if I get some level of recovery.

Really appreciate your support.

God bless xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.