Dull pain on my right side below rib cage

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have a dull pain on my right side below my rib cage i have had it off and on for 9 months .

I am wondering if it is my kidney`s , i am 56 and weigh 300lb which is not good for my 5ft 3in frame but as from today i will be not touching bread cakes biscuits and chocolate .

I also love butter but with giving up bread will not be touching the butter , i hope this helps me.

Would love to hear from those with similar symptoms.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had a pain in my back just level with back of rib-cage which I initially thought was related to an old whiplash injury.

Further research showed it could be a side effect of gallstones; I had an ultrasound which showed no gallstones, but I have noticed now, that the pain is related to over-indulgence! 

Sometimes the pain is so bad I cannot stand upright and can last more than 24 hours, but rantacide clears this and by avoiding acidic foods, I rarely suffer this now.  If I do get that pain I can normally think back over some fatty or acidic foods I have eaten.

If your pain is also in the rear of your ribcage, I would try antiacids to see if this had an effect, and hopefully by you cutting out fatty and sugary foods this will have a good effect in any event, but otherwise check with your doctor for gallstones.  Hits the 5 "f"s    female, forties, fifties, fat and fertile!

• Posted

Hello Lulu

Well I am 60 this year and weigh 23st 7lbs.

I am also going through my Peri menopause!!  I am 5ft 7ins!

I get pains in my side and also lower  stomach pain.. My stomach acid is awful and it feels like my whole insides are burning!!!

Although it has been a few weeks since my last bleed I still get all the symptoms and more!  Do you worry more because you are overweight?

I know I do.. I go to slimming world which has changed my life.. I was 25st 

so am heading in the right direction slowly!  It could also be gallstones that get aggravated by eating certain foods..

Good luck with your weight loss.

Lesley x

• Posted

Hi lesley

I applaude you with your weight loss.  Its bloody hard to shift a pound once you hit 50, so I think you're doing great!  Fantastic that good ol' Slimming World plays a part in your weight loss.  Lost  about 3st over a few yrs when I was in my 40s.  I have to say having been a yo-yo'er all my adult life, I think by far the best club is SW.  Great bunch of women, great laugh.......and tons of grub!

re: acid reflux.  I've had it for about 3wks now. But my diet's been cr*p so I know it'd be very easy to stop it by cutting out certain foods.  For the day-to-day management of it, I have a swig of Gaviscon when its bad. But sleeping in a more upright position is fantastic, especially as I sometimes like to lie completely flat  Give it a go, it might give you a rest from it for the night.

Another thing I read on here that has worked wonders for a whole bunch of my symptoms (mainly constipation, dry skin, lack of concentration, aching joints) - Drink Plenty of Water!!  Really, within days I felt so much better.  (I admit I do put a bit of sugarfree squash in to help, but that's better than not drinking huh?)

Sx

• Posted

Hi lesley

Meant to mention: happened to walk past Iceland today and noticed some new advertising posters on their windows.  They are obviously working with S'World now as they advertise lots of 'S'World Free' Foods. 

For those who don't/can't cook, this sounds like a godsend.

• Posted

Hello. At last I have found some one with the same symptoms. My buring pain on my right side attacks me through the night so I do not get any sleep. I had a full node clearence 18 months ago under my right arm (cancer) even now it aches terribley in that area and wonder if there is some thing which is linked. I am going to ask for a scan in that area as x rays are for bones and scans for flesh. I know my mother had a dead kidney taken out of her at the age of 75 I am 73 but I am sure it s not that ---but until test are done who knows. I am really going to fight this with the Doctors this year as you know its your body and they should listen. Alo having no sleep sets every other thing off then one feels low -tired.
  • Posted

Hi lulu

I'm sorta in agreement with helen10706.  Straightaway I was thinking Gallbladder issues.  Gallstones can block the bile duct and cause a lot of pain. Kidney pain is generally round the back - I sometimes get this when i don't drink enough fluids.

Son's new g'friend's mum has just had her g'bladder removed via keyhole surgery. Think she's around 52, and according to my son she's 'the same size' as me........that'll be interesting to see when we eventually metlol!

I always remember hearing the saying: 'Fair,  Fat and Forty' as indicators of those more susceptible.  Well I've been all of those, and I'm OK at the moment at 54........!

I am prone to a bit of over-indulging on a regular basis, but think you're right to cut back on the things we all reach for in a time of crisis - I applaude your willpower lulu!!

My thing at the mo is acid reflux. Had it for about 3wks. Sleeping in a more upright position really helps.  Burping a bit, which I never ever did.  I'm not silly, I know what's causing it:  my insane addition to crisps!!  When I 'm in one of my moods, I get all the crisps out of the house, allow myself 2 slices of bread a day, and cut out diet coke = works wonders.  Just got to get the mindset to do this now. 

Keep up with the good work lulu, you'll feel much better for it, I'm sure. x 

• Posted

I have it !! I thought my liver but tests all clear been there about a year can't find anything sad it's very annoying and tender to touch that area
  • Posted

Yeah I have sludge in gallbladder which was start of my Perimenapause journey I think. Since then had anxiety and depression and irregular periods but just this month had no bleed at all and anxiety terrible so back on sertraline to cope. Still pain in right side and through back but just to deal with it as no gallstones show on scans!! Take care and keep taking pills xx
  • Edited

Hi Lulu!

When you next go to the doctor have them test you to see if it is your gallbladder. The area you described where the pain is sounds like that is what it could be. Sometimes when our liver is overloaded with a lot of fats from our diet, it can trigger this in the gallbladder. Hope you feel better soon.

xx

• Posted

Thank you so much i now know what it is !  I  took a liking to that french butter in the supermarket " President"  never really liked butter until i tried this over 9 months ago ... Anyway on a chocolates, and cake and biscuits and bread and butter free diet from now on ..

I am so glad i found this forum i can see there is lot`s of support ..

• Posted

Yes we are like extended relatives who never get to see each other. Lol!
    • Posted

I have been saying for months gall bladder ? But whst tests can they do? Already had ultrasound & cat ? X
    • Posted

They did blood test at first on me which showed my liver was not functioning right then ultrasound n scan but that was it, basically go away, take pain killers and adjust your diet. Like normal we just have to cope eh!! X
    • Edited

Never go to doctors or hospital prefer to be self reliant NHS are always moaning about money just stay away, then i won,t be disappointed when they can,t or won,t help..

Here is self treatment for gallbladder issues

1. The juice of a whole lemon

2. Latte mug

3. Hot water

Leave to cool then drink first thing in morning when you get up, also a glass of apple juice with a tablespoon of applecider vinegar through out day this relieves pain and dissolves the sludge and gall stones.

Our inners become sluggish as we age and all the fatty foods we enjoy don,t help but hinder.

Take care

liz1234  

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.