Duloxetine and nightmares

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on duloxetine for about 18 months now (I think, my memory's awful) and have always had disturbed dreams and nightmares while I've been on it. Originally I was taking zolpidem 10mg and Quetiapine 100mg at night but I've taken myself off of those over the last few months. The nightmares have gotten worse though, they're incredibly realistic. Last night I dreamt that I was drinking and I woke up heaving and with an intense headache like I was hungover. Then I managed to go back to sleep and after dreaming that I was back at my parents house and arguing with them, I woke up in such a state and my anxiety was so high I couldn't even move, I was struggling to breathe and scared because I was struggling to diferentiate between what was real and what was a dream. I never wake up feeling rested and am constantly tired and yawning throughout the day, I've also been suffering more with headaches. Has anyone else on duloxetine had issues with sleep and dreams and is there anything that helps?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi roximl im sorry your having a rough time just now. I can relate with you about nightmares and the intense fear they cause. I would be feeling the effects the whole next day. After seeing my Phyciatrist he has started me off at 25mg Quetiapine for the nightmares and ive found them to be great. Did they stop working for you? Im afraid i dont no about Duloxetine but the headaches could be because your so tiredsad  I find when medications are changed if can be wks before starting to feel the benefit and getting over the side effects longer!! With the Sertraline and the Quetiapine the side effects for me are very painful mouth ulcers!!!! Hope things improve and you get a good sleep very soon.  
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply. The quetiapine worked great at first, I started at 25mg n worked my way up to 200mg and now I've come back off it. It stopped making me drowsy except I felt fuzzy headed n had poor concentration during the day. I've been prescribed propanolol recently though which I haven't been taking properly but I've decided to take it regularly and see if it helps with my headaches as well as my anxiety. Mouth ulcers can just be a sign of being generally worn down, so hopefully the meds will work and you'll feel better and they'll clear up.
  • Posted

I have been on this med for almost a year and having the same problems with dreams. I even had the dream about drinking and waking up feeling drunk. This dreams are crazy. Seeing the Doctor next month and change the mess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.