Dusting/Forum

Posted , 14 users are following.

i absolutely LOVE and am so thankful for this forum and all the wonderful people in it. No matter our pain and miseries with this unwanted illness and pain, we must keep our sense of humour. I had washed and starched some  beautiful doilies my mother had crocheted many years prior to her death. Sooo, after the posts of dusting, I took off EXTREMELY DUSTY DIRTY(well nobody could see it, right?) doilies, dusted and cleaned the glass portions of my end tables. Then put the beautiful ones I had "put away", for what, I don't know, as I love doilies, on my nice, clean end tables. I am in Michigan, USA, weather weird, we use heat one day, AC the next, lots of humidity.  I really enjoy reading posts from you all in other countries. My hubby and I have never had funds to travel to other countries.  Please stay as well as you can, thanks for sharing your experiences with everyone. We know we are not alone, JUDY 

2 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know a couple of older ladies (late 70s and early 90s) who have travelled the world on their computers. Have you tried that? The planes don't run late either...

• Posted

A good idea - especially as some of us "oldies" can't travel around much now.  (I do miss travelling)!

Can you get videos of places worth visiting?

• Posted

Back in the days of VHS there were zillions of travel videos.  Our public library had a huge number.  I can't imagine it would be any different now with DVDs.  And, as Eileen says, there's a lot available on the internet now.  Not sure what networks you can access where you live, but every country will have at least one station which likes to broadcast  travel shows.  

• Posted

What's VHS?  Over here it is Volkshochschule - further ed.

• Posted

one of them is me and t'other one is Granny Moss.  We have both visited every room in the Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg via the internet.   You can go around each room and zoom in on what you are really interested in.   There is also a camera on the roof.

There are hundreds of sites in the world, just search on the net.  Good hunting.

• Posted

Being internet stupid - what do you actually search under?

Are you able to travel at all now?

• Posted

There is something very satisfying about clearing out old, stagnant energies, and that's what you did.  I, personally, am looking forward to getting a replacement vacuum cleaner as our old one has died and gone to appliance heaven, and my house is getting grotty even by my virtually non-existent standards.  Even hubby is keen to get the new machine!  I shall endeavour to have him enjoy the first adventures with it.  twisted

• Posted

Do they make versions that only men can use?????????????
    • Posted

Yes but they don't seem to know how to empty them.....too technical. I'm watching some garden debris growing(not literally) inside the door but nobody has picked it up yet. I think a visit to a well advertised optician's is required! Just waiting to see if it is noticed or will I have to something about it.

• Posted

I used to complain when things were left for the maid (we don't have a maid, btw, more's the pity) but still things don't happen.  I have enough trouble picking up after myself and see no reason why I should pick up after anyone else, at least anyone over the age of ten.  Maybe I was gifted with PMR so I'd have an excellent reason not to do everything?

• Posted

Hey hey... I clean our house most of the time... even now. Before PMR it was my thing to do...belive it or not, I do better job. Secret was that I used to sell vacuum cleaners back in a days when I neded to learn English. . After my regular job as an engineer, I was going door to door and talked to people... I was good too... After 6 months or so I had enough for downpayment for  my first house in Canda from that part time job smile
    • Posted

You, Nick, are the exception who proves the rule.  I have one friend whose husband actually seems to enjoy housework, which my friend really appreciates, and another whose husband likes to cook the evening meals, again much appreciated.  That's it.  The rest of us live as we just grumbled....

• Posted

ANYONE could be better at cleaning than me - but my husband seems to believe only women can do certain jobs...
    • Posted

We have a composter at the back of the garden.  Because earwigs tend to infest it I refuse to go near it, so it's hubby's job to take care of the kitchen scraps.  Whenever he complains that I could do it I ask him about the last time he scrubbed the toilet.  Or emptied the kitty litter.  Or ....  That shuts him up.

• Posted

Wow - I am lucky.  My husband helps a lot around the house.  The only thing he doesn't like doing is cooking.  As it is one of my hobbies - no problem.

• Posted

My husband was much much better in the early years of our marriage. Later when we had chldren his attention focused on playing with them while I cleaned up after dinner.  And with little ones I didn't begrudge that as they needed quality time together.  The problem is, he never came back.  Our youngest turned 33 this year so it's a lost cause.  Even when I was laid up with a broken leg a few years ago he had no comprehension how disabled I was.  And PMR?  Pffft!   I only deal with it by not doing things.  And frankly I don't like living in a tip, but if the alternative is to give up my daily walk, because I really do only have energy for self care and a minimum of essential housework, then I'm afraid the real cleaning just isn't going to happen.  

• Posted

Until we moved to Germany David shared most things as we both worked full time. Then he discovered his workmates did nothing in the house and he stopped. I wasn't working, that wasn't much of a problem but the washing up after dinner drove me crazy, I was tired by then. "But my colleagues don't wash-up" - "that, my dear, is because they ALL have dishwashers..." There was no space in the fitted kitchen for one - but when we moved there was only a sink unit. The first thing that was put in was a my birthday present - a dishwasher. The rest was fitted round it. Never been without one for long since - the longest time was when we moved to Durham and there was no kitchen, I had to demolish stuff and rebuild. And before we came here. The interim house doesn't have one. 

And you know - when I think about it, it was that kitchen and garden in Durham I'd just finished sorting when PMR appeared...

• Posted

We got a dishwasher I think around the time our third child was born.  One or other of the grandmothers would give us a major appliance every time we had a new baby!  The problem with the dishwasher was that for some reason everyone else in the household seemed to think that it not only washed the dishes, it also loaded itself and afterwards put everything away, not to mention scrubbing the pots and pans and wiping the counter....
    • Posted

A lot of German men years ago didn't help in the house.  The young wives won't stand for it though.

• Posted

The emptying is David's job - he does put things in but rarely in the right place! I'm not OCD about it but the dishes we have fit in certain places and I can get about double in it that he does! You would imagine that removing a particular item from a particular place every single time he empties it would eventually register - apparently not...

• Posted

Mine loves the one beginning with D....., pre PMR always found it too heavy, (had it nine years now!) I think hubby thinks it`s a tool rather than a cleaner, because he is mechanical and can take it to bits to clean it....bless.....so obviously he always does the hoovering, (but only when he wants to....but do I care, nope).....

​Don`t know if anyone has already mentioned on here about a poem Dust if you must!...by Rose Milligan....funny, and very true!

• Posted

Dust if you must, by Rose Milligan:

Dust if you must, but wouldn’t it be better

To paint a picture, or write a letter,

Bake a cake, or plant a seed;

Ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there’s not much time,

With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;

Music to hear, and books to read;

Friends to cherish, and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world’s out there

With the sun in your eyes, and the wind in your hair;

A flutter of snow, a shower of rain,

This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind,

Old age will come and it’s not kind.

And when you go (and go you must)

You, yourself, will make more dust.

My own motto: Dust is very patient. It will always wait...

• Posted

Oh, Eileen this is simply to funny, but so true.  Thank you for sharing, I have it saved, now! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.