Dusting/Forum

Posted , 14 users are following.

i absolutely LOVE and am so thankful for this forum and all the wonderful people in it. No matter our pain and miseries with this unwanted illness and pain, we must keep our sense of humour. I had washed and starched some  beautiful doilies my mother had crocheted many years prior to her death. Sooo, after the posts of dusting, I took off EXTREMELY DUSTY DIRTY(well nobody could see it, right?) doilies, dusted and cleaned the glass portions of my end tables. Then put the beautiful ones I had "put away", for what, I don't know, as I love doilies, on my nice, clean end tables. I am in Michigan, USA, weather weird, we use heat one day, AC the next, lots of humidity.  I really enjoy reading posts from you all in other countries. My hubby and I have never had funds to travel to other countries.  Please stay as well as you can, thanks for sharing your experiences with everyone. We know we are not alone, JUDY 

2 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Judy and the rest of you good people.  Well it must be in the air, this cleaning lark (which I don't do) used to, but it was never a favourite pastime for me.  I'm a clutter bug.  If there are any flat surfaces, well you'll find something on them.  Now for the good news.  I live in an end terrace here in Belfast and when I swapped from oil heating to gas, I then knocked down a yard wall and I have a good size side of the house that no one would know or see.  Well I have a breezeblock kinna shed.  Also a walk in shed beginning with K and then Box also beginning with K.  Well I had a great day as I could ask my son who lives with me to organise the 2 K shed and Box.  He was fit to be tied (he flings things in them and wherever they land, well they land- I call him Jimmy two jobs - He is 35.  So today was the day I got them organised - or he did.  I spoke and he moved stuff and also brought stuff to the dump to be recyled.  He brushed and I did a wee bit of brushing dead leaves and bits of branches, so we (he) got a lot done.  Not yet finished but will be - sometimes having PMR (I wish I had'nt) has advantages like getting lazy sons to move heavy stuff and replant stuff.  So got quite a lot of stuff done today.  I just kept telling him "Look at the many calories you're burning" lol -  It's very difficult to get him motivated.  But Judy I don't travel either and yet the side of my home is like a tropical place with all the different plants and stuff.  I wouldn't be fit to travel, but I can pretend that I'm in another place.  One friend said that the Courtyard was beautiful - it's hidden and no one outside can see it.  I have lights on trees and plants all year round - so when I look at them at night from my living room window - it's magical - it shows where there is light there is hope and hope for all of us that one day PMR will just go back to where it came from.  Love and light to all the great people on this site, now Judy you have been to Belfast, Northern Ireland without even moving from your home, now that's what I call travelling.  Regards Pat

• Posted

You have just inspired me to turn off this laptop and go do some sweeping!  Bye all!
    • Posted

Pat, what a lovely post. We, too, have a lovely yard.  We have 10 acres and a pretty large pond in the front, with fish we planted. My hubby has built some raised beds in an enclosed garden. He plants a few veggies and strawberries.  We have a deck on the back of the house with a lot of hanging flowers. Also planted around the yard. We have been together most of our lives. Married at 18 out of school and have been married 57 years. I had always been his right hand man....PMR chanced that, too when I could hardly walk. He does a lot of house chores, as he says then we can both do what we enjoy when done. He started doing some cooking a few years ago. These things he didn't do when the children were little!  

I love reading Irish stories. Now, Pat, you have a bit of insight into MICHIGAN, USA

• Posted

Oh Hi MICHIGAN, it seems a lovely lovely yard - we over here call them back gardens but I do know what a yard is - also you say sidewalk - we say pavement.  Well dear girl you have a lot of land, 10 acres.  The side of my house is about 40ft length and maybe 12ft wide.  

How lovely to be married 57 years.  My marriage lasted 13 years - I separated from my ex husband (he has since died 2013) in 1990  our sons were 8 and 11 then.  We had just moved to our first bought house and I was full time at University and didn't have any family near me.  I got through it all.  I am a young 62 (38 in my head) and feel like a 90 year old at times.  

I admire you and your husbands relationship - to grow up together must have been brilliant and to grow old (young) together is even better.  It's now that I kinna miss a partner but I am too long on my own to share my time with anyone.  I do love my own company, but you can get too much of a good thing lol  

Your hubby seems like a very philosophical and wise gentleman and I bet you are the female version of him.  No matter what - life is good - we are above the ground and still breathing and that's just the best feeling ever.  Thank you for letting me view (in my minds eye) your yard - I would call it your land - I'd probably need a horse to ride round it to see everything.  Bless you both and everyone else on the forum.  

• Posted

Hi Pat.  Just like to say we have been married for nearly 60 years (21st September).  We just suit!😀😀

• Posted

OMG how amazing, what a beautiful relationship - 60 years on 21st September.  You are both very lucky to have each other this length of time.  Just Wonderful - it lifts my heart.  Thank you for sharing with me.  
    • Posted

Hi Pat,

Just love Ireland, drove around it for 3 weeks 5 years ago, my g,g,g Grandfather (paternal) came from Drumreagh in Northern Ireland, came out to Australia in 1830 with his wife and 3 teenage boys, he had a Merchant store in Belfast.  His Father and two of his Uncle's went over to Ireland from Europe with William of Orange and fought the Battle of the Boyne, William won the war and my g,g,g,g grandfather was given land in Drumreagh as were a lot of other William's men, with thanks for  winning that war.   Of course william eventually became King of England.    I find the history so interesting over there.

keep well,   Track

• Posted

That is what I love about this site too. We have just been to Ireland and  Michigan without moving. I have always had the travel bug and am a bit miffed at the moment that flight prices are cheaper  than they have been for 40 years. I am  tempted. 
    • Posted

Hi Track, yes Ireland is such a beautful place.  We are all coming out of a post conflict of 30 years of "The Troubles" and at present we have no government.  

Yes The Battle of The Boyne - William of Orange and King James - and the country has still not gotten over it.  

Not to worry - someday both sides of the divide hopefully will be able to live side by side.  But it's just a mess at the moment.  

It is great readng about "The Great Famine" 1845 another travestry.  Oh dear war, war and more war.  It's peace I want and respect and there are so many like me.  Am glad you posted Track - I am at present a nursing a sever migrane.  It will pass eventually.  

Keep well yourself.  Regards Pat

• Posted

I agree, you can be anywhere at any time without leaving the house.  If you have the travel bug then go for it.  I don't have the travel bug and it's as well because I am not feeling the best at the moment.  

Just go Flutterbie, pack up your troubles in your old kit bag lol

Regards Pat

• Posted

We loved Ireland and the wonderful Irish people. We stayed at B&B's and one in particular stands out. We hadn't booked and the lady of the house had to go out and left us to our own devices in her house. She had never met us before and it was a beautiful house. People have told me I have an honest face but that was so trusting. Amazing.

• Posted

Hi Silver and yes everyone does love Ireland and that is the truth.  Most of us are very trusting.  There are people a few doors from where I live and I've taken a few parcels in for them (they are lads and maybe students) I really don't know them at all.  But one night my door rapped and it was one of the young lads and he asked me to hold on to a key of his house that he had to go out and a girl was coming from Norway and could I give her the key when she came.  

My door rapped and a lovely girl (mid twenties) with her suitcase and I gave her the key.  That young guy trusted me and I had never met him and even if I saw him again I wouldn't recognise him.  I live in the North of Ireland and the people are so good and kind.  Your story doesn't surprise me at all.  I probably would have done the same as her.  

I also think there are good people all over the world, sometimes you just gotta bump into them.  

• Posted

Oh I forgot to say that I have 5 vacumn cleaners (one is a robot, which was quite expensive) and myself or my son will use the floor  brush.  Now that is what I call insanity lol  but I like it.
  • Posted

Anhaga, don't know your country, but in the states Shark vacuum is the best one of all the ones I have had. Good luck my online friend. And, I really don't feel like an "older lady" at 75, LOL even though PMR stole my physically active life from me. A week ago I started pushing myself to treadmill and exercise bike hoping to shed pounds gained and get muscles back working!

• Posted

Do not over do either the treadmill or the exercise bike.

The oxygen supply to you muscels is not up to speed and if you overdo it you will be paid back bigtime.

Gentle exercise, aqua aerobics, nordic walking, some types of tai chi.

You can also visit the pmr gca northeast website and their is an exercise thread developed for PMR patients.

• Posted

Hi Judy, I have a central vac, which is very old and repaired a few times so owes us nothing.  The issue we have is figuring out how to fit new model into old tight space under basement stairs!  And my old one and potential new one are actually manufactured in Canada so I'm very happy to be able to buy something Canadian made as our industry has suffered terribly with globalization and "free" trade.

• Posted

I liked the idea of the central vac when a relative in Canada with whom we were staying showed me their system. They are installed in some houses in this country but not widely.
    • Posted

I think when we got it I fantasized it would make vacuuming easier.  It is convenient, but emptying the wretched can is difficult.  A chore I delegated to hubby when I got so weak, and I think is why we now need a new machine because for some reason the motor burnt out - the can was absolutely stuffed!  When I had suggested the last time he set out to do some vacuuming that the can might need emptying he said, not now.  Hahah!  The new models have an improved design so that shouldn't be such a literal pain any more.  

• Posted

Hi thanks for the info. I just got so dratted  tired of not trying to get back into my walking that I have been unable to do for 2 years that I said to heck with it, and forged ahead, hee hee, pain meds..stubbornness...maybe not such a good idea, eh????
    • Posted

I think that's what happened to my cousin's vacuum system because the can is in the basement. 

• Posted

Start with a short walk - 10-15 mins max. If that is OK next day - add a few mins (say 5 mins at a time) but always have a rest day between at first as it sometimes takes longer for the muscle soreness to develop - and even longer to heal. You will probably find you can do two short walks if you have a rest inbetween - this is the technique I used to build up my skiing. I could manage several short runs - but couldn't do a longer run that was only double the length. I NEEDED the rest on the lift. You WILL  get back there - but you have to build up very slowly.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen all your advice is so helpful and appreciated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.