DVT SUPPRESSION SOCKS

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am just over two weeks post op thr and have fortunately good mobility and really want to stop wearing suppression socks. I'm still taking blood thinning medication and regularly doing physio exercises. Do you think it would be ok to discard them now? They are so uncomfortable and hot and I feel much better without them.

Thank you

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow! Reading all post here really makes me wonder. For sure I’d do whatever your surgeon or follow up person tells you.

i’m in NS Canada and will be 4 months post op TLHR on the 28 th. Was given a prescription for 14 days blood thinner post op and no mention of compression stocking. I have varicose veins and have a number of pair of compression stockings. I wore them as my leg ached and I had some swelling. No particular length of time or specifically day or night. I needed to have a break from them also,but they brought relief.

• Posted

Hi

I'm nearly3weeks post thr had suppression socks for 2days after op and hospital says didn't need them any further and now have to inject myself for a month in tummy for blood thining which is better as socks i found very annoying

Still doing exercises and walking plenty feel very fit and well so I agree I didn't need socks but maybe it's different with other people good wishes

• Posted

Hi Marilyn, I’m 8 weeks post dynamic hip screw op, I was only ever given one sock for the non-operated leg as the hospital (uk) said they didn’t recommend it onthe operated leg due to swelling, makes it too tight they said. I stopped wearing the one sock after three weeks as 1. I had had enough lol 2. I was not in bed all day 3. Doing some exercises and 4. Taking apixaban blood thinner which I still take as it’s for a heart condition. You could compromise and take them off during the day and keep on in bed while you sleep (if you’re lucky enough to sleep!). Vanessa 
  • Posted

I'm in the US. I think over here most people do not use compression socks and do not give themselves blood thinning injections. I was told to take a small-dose aspirin every day for 30 days. That was it.

• Posted

I'm in the u.s too..I took the asprin as well..no injections .but I did wear compression socks..both legs. For about a month. I took socks off at night..wore them during the day. .it's funny. Everyone is different with their post op directions....

• Posted

Wow, are most of the people on this board from England?  No such protocol where I had my surgery in California.  There was never any mention of blood thinning injections or support stockings.  I was to take one aspirin a day for a month.  I think the surgeons in England are using older surgery methods, thus the precautions.  The VERY ACCOMPLISHED surgeon, and in fact all of the orthopedic surgeons (at

Hoag Orthopedic hospital) use the Hana table and use the Anterior approach.  They have a special operating room just set up for hip replacements.  Most patients go home either the afternoon after the surgery, or the very next day.  in the hospital we are walking in the afternoon, have a lesson with the PT’s and then are sent home.  At home PT three times a week for a couple of weeks then we are on our own with at home exercises and lots of walking.

• Posted

Aspirin is an anticoagulant, so you were using a DVT precaution. Clots are always a possible complication of any surgery, as is sitting too long with no surgery at all.

A reasonably well known occurrence in some long haul flight passengers which is why flight socks are worn by some people

• Posted

I only wore them in hospital.  All ok. But nobody told me to wear them at home anyway.  How long were you told to wear them. I am nearly 7 weeks post op.
  • Posted

Hello,

I'm 5 weeks out from TRHR. I my left one done 2 years ago. I have better mobility than before. I stop wearing the stockings a week later. The nurses at the hospital suggests that i wear biker shorts more comfortable and. It works just as good! But still i would ask your doctor if it's ok...GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HEALING

• Posted

Hello,

I'm 5 weeks out from TRHR. I my left one done 2 years ago. I have better mobility than before. I stop wearing the stockings a week later. The nurses at the hospital suggests that i wear biker shorts more comfortable and. It works just as good! But still i would ask your doctor if it's ok...GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HEALING

• Posted

My surgeon insisted on her patients wearing them for 4 weeks after surgery. So I did. They’re not very comfortable but better than having DVT. In my view it was no contest. 
  • Posted

I think perhaps these stockings are recommended for people who have the posterior surgery not the anterior. With the anterior, most people are moving around enough that they do not need the stockings. I don't know how anyone following hip surgery is able to get those things on! I'm so glad that I did not need to use them.

• Posted

I think they are recommended as insurance against DVT. It does not matter what type of incision you had. It is just like insuring your house against fire, it probably will not happen but sometimes it does! Some surgeons are more paranoid than others. I did not have them and I had a posterior approach. The anti coagulants are probably more important, but some surgeons think why not have extra insurance? 
  • Posted

Well it does seem to be a UK thing. And if any country has doctors that want to guard against medical malpractice, that would be the USA!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.