Each day must brings it s own set of rules

Posted , 10 users are following.

Tnight sleep is not possible feels as if kneecap on fire with shar shooting pains. Doubled up on pain meds. Is this normal? No fever knee physically not swelled more thN surgery size.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Cathy I'm 5 weeks po. If I get 3 or 4 hrs of good sleep a night I feel lucky. Several people on here have all said the same thing in regards to sleeping. Some have said they use an over the counter sleep aid. I haven't done that. The night time is the worse and I don't believe there is a simple answer. Good luck to you. It's a tough road. And we are all hoping for positive results...sometime in the near future.
  • Posted

Cathy

Hey sorry for the pain I am 13 weeks post op (had both knees done same time) and i still have some night were i dont sleep well at all. But when the change my pain med to glorified ibuprofen my nurse told my to add an over the counter sleep aid and it works. Check with your doctor see id you can take them becaus once you start sleeping the whole night you will be amazed at how much better you feel during the day. Good luck stay with it does get better . I use a heating pad fodor pain at night it really helps.

• Posted

If you will try the Unisom(doxycycline succinate) over the counter, it should help you sleep. That is the only thing I take. You might even try breaking it in half the first night. It beats taking prescriptions that could have bad side effects. Unisom is simply an antihistamine.
  • Posted

I'm now five days post op with second TKR & agree that the lack of sleep is the worst bit ever😟 The only long stretch of sleep that I've had so far is when the nurse gave me a sleeping tablet when I was in hospital😴. I think I must have woke up on the hour every hour, plus pain seems to be worse at night too! Consultant said to sleep on my back with the leg straight, well not much hope of moving into any other position anyway without more pain!The same lack of sleep happened with first TKR too but my daughters bedroom was available & so I would hobble off there & go onto this forum, or read etc which helped to distract me from the pain and I'd doze off! Sadly no spare room this time so just try to lie still listening to my husband snoring like a train!! I might try some Nytol pills if they work?
    • Posted

I used nytol with my first tkr and they helped me strangely I don't seem to be having the same sleep issues this time I am sleeping quite well 
    • Posted

The trick is, take proper meds before going to bed, then when you wake in the night through pain, learn to relax and let the pain wash over you, then as it eases you are able to then move to a more comfortable position and drift back to sleep.  There is no point in moving straightaway when you wake as your body is too tense.  By relaxing, your muscles, even the sore ones, will relax and the pain becomes bearable enough for you to sleep This is a conscious effort, so you need to work on it, but after a while it becomes the norm.  

Good luck

• Posted

Sueisobel, you are so right on.  I remember seeing you post something like this before...it works.  Do not turn on the light....I learned to breath my way thru those pains...and relax....move a bit and get comfy...and right back to sleep.

pam

• Posted

Glenda

Save yourself some I have been using the store brand without any pain relief added they work just as well and are a tenth the cost. And I should know had both TKR done same time I also use a heating pad at night my home nurse said ice during the day for swelling and heat at night for pain. Hope this helps good luckm

• Posted

OTC Melatonin works great.......I like the 5mg chewable tablets and take  total of 15 mg....you can work up to 20 mg.  This was recommended by my husbands PCP after a post radiation/Chemo year.  She said if he found himself groggy the next morning back down a bit......then work up again.  Melatonin is natural in our body when we are young, but like everything else, the supply deminishes as we get older.

There are also studies and many articles to be found on Melatonin as a cancer fighter, so by replacing it we get a double benefit.

• Posted

Thank you for this post. I too am plagued with not being able to sleep. But also didn't want to take a sleeping pill. Even over the counter. I will try melatonin. Thank you!
    • Posted

Susibell

We have texted before and I am grateful for your advice.

Too many pills worry me. The other night I'd taken

3 co-codamol

1 paracetamol

2 Kalms

The next morning I could hardly walk.

I'm now 10 weeks post op today and can't seem to shake off the pain or the sensation I have in my toe like somebody is pinching my toe.

This happened because of having an ingrown toenail removed some years ago and the stupid 'podiatrist' who used to be a lorry driver cut a nerve.

It seemed to have disappeared after TKR but no such luck it's back with a vengeance.

I've already taken 3 paracetmol since waking plus one co-codamol and they're the strong ones

Beginning to wish I'd never had it done

• Posted

I didn't know this but I was told on Thursday (just before I was sent home) by the anaesthetist, never  to take paracetamol and Co codamel together as the Cocodamel contains paracetamol and I'd be over dosing on paracetamol. He said that I could take paracetamol with Codeine tablets but to try and avoid Ibrufen and if I did take them, make sure that I took them with food. 
    • Posted

Thank you for the info😄 Where to you buy Melatonin from please?
    • Posted

I hadn't thought of using a heating pad so I'll get one and try it! I guess everything hurts more at night because you're not moving around so much, and you tend to be more aware of anything painful due to lack of distractions! Plus out bodies are meant to heal more at night I believe?
    • Posted

You can get Melatonin anyplace that sells supplements.  I don't know where you live but I get mine (love the chewables) at Costco.  If I get lazy I will order it from Amazon Prime.  I Also take Slow Mag.....which is a magnesium supplement with calcium.  Helps with legs cramping or that nagging restless leg feeling that comes on at night.  
    • Posted

Glenda

That's is why I am so insistent on getting a full night sleep I know you heal much better if you rested. Having both knees done at the same time I was miserable at night up every 2 hours. I was not rehabbing no matter how much i exercised. But now with the sleep aid and the heating pad i have been going to the pool 3 days a week up at 6am in the pool at 630 feeling so much better. Good luck to you.

• Posted

but theres paracetmol in cocodamol so if Im careful it doesnt matter does it.

I know what you mean about the Ibrufen. I nearly killed myself once taking a cocktail of all these drugs.

I was horrified when the doctor asked if I'd tried to top myself.

• Posted

I really couldn't have coped with two in one go as its taken me a long time to try and mentally get over the shock of the first one in 2014 when I was 57 and I very nearly cancelled last Monday's operation, but common sense won as I know I need to be able to walk! I am full of admiration for your ability to deal with two at once! How do you even start to get your legs out of bed? Amazing! I understand that it's quite rare for surgeons to do both at once, but I was told by the hospital that someone was due to have both operated next week! Well done you & I wish you a speedy recovery😄😷🎈
    • Posted

Glenda

Turns out I my a bit of a chicken when they told both had to be done the first doctor told me 6 months apart but i still have to work so I got a new doctor. When I saw him I asked how fast he could do them because I did not want to wait 6 months, he asked what I wanted I told him both one time he said ok,in truth I am pretty young and was physical fit. I am glad I had them both done together because I would not have had the second one done.See CHICKEN that's the whole truth.

• Posted

The anaesthetist said take either paracetamol and codeine together but not to take Cocodamel as well as I'd then be overdosing on paracetamol, also to drink lots of water too. If I decide to take Cocodamel then it has to taken on its own😷
    • Posted

Tell me about the pool.  I am thinking it would make bending so much easier. I cannot go yet as my scab has not fallen completely off.  How soon did you start going?
    • Posted

Mary

You have to get the ok to get in a public pool I was at 9 week po. My home PT said it was a great place to rehab I get in do my leg lifts ,squats, and lunges. Then I walk and swim. Then I use the sauna and the steam room good for getting more bend in my left knee which is the worse of the two but you will feel it after.but not while you doing it. smile

• Posted

This makes sense as i wake up my body is in in a relaxed state at all.. More or less tensed tight off bed. Not sure to to relax it though
    • Posted

Cathy,  I close my eyes and breath....in thru nose out thru mouth...and concentrate on the breathing....it works for me.

pam

• Posted

Mary

Thanks for the warning but my knee doctor told me I could get in the pool at the YMCA he is a member there it's very clean and I have the place to myself for 30 mins a day it's great.

• Posted

I will definately try this. I didnt understand at first why i would wake up so tensed up. But it makes sense
    • Posted

Learn to keep still and breath slowly in and out, concentrate on relaxing and you will feel the pain dissipate. You will know when that happens, then you'll be able to move into a more comfortable position.  You wake, because you are in pain, just keep still, it does not take long, before you are in the position to fall back to sleep.

Just remember to take adequate meds before going to sleep.

• Posted

Cathy...your brain wakes you...the pain is coming...sueisobol...is why I know this works.  It was her suggestion that made me stop....turning on the light...getting up...or getting on the computer.  This breath and relax works.

pam

• Posted

Pam

I agree with you when the pain woke my up I would turn on the light rub my legs go to the restroom by that time I am fully awake. But now I stay in bed move my legs a bit readjust then back to sleep. It's a proven fact light or computer screen will wake you up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.