Early menopause symptoms - advise please

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello ladies

So I have my blood test results today and everything is completely normal.

I have been really ill recently. Mostly off balance, light headed, nausea, completely worn out and anxiety. My monthly cycle has also changed to every 23/24 days. I am sure that my symptoms are my hormones. Did anyone struggle in the early days? Don’t want to keep thinking it’s my hormones if it isn’t. 

I have had all my bloods done to check everything else, mri, ct scan, ecg - all is fine! 

The consulatant has given me the mini pill to help level my hormones.

Was anyone similar very early on. I hear a lot of people talk about symptoms but they seem to be much closer to menopause than I am.

Appreciate any help

Louise 

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Louise,  Not sure of your age.  I am 41 and started this mess last year.  I had stopped long term BCP use, then all went downhill.  Same here, tested in and out, several ER visits, terrible health anxiety.  My FSH has tested out in menopause to post menopause several times.  But that literally changes every minute of the day.  Everything points to hormones for me.  TrIed the mini pill, made me very weepy.  I may try again with the combined BCP again.  I am taking an AD now, thinking of trying both together.  

The mini pill is synthetic progesterone (progesterin). The thought is if you are estrogen dominant, it is supposed to level you out.  It may do the trick for you.  I hope you get some relief...Good luck!  

• Posted

Hi Lou. What AD are you taking and is it helping?
    • Posted

Hi Dora,  I am on 5mg Escitrolopram (lexapro).  I’ve been on it 5 wks.  Takes a couple of months so I’m told.  I am supposed to have gone up to 10mg, but I am chicken.  (Took me a year to get on something.)  It is helping a little, I think.  I am still pretty exhausted.  I get the dizziness like walking on a boat...that seems to have subsided.  I do not cry constantly either.  Honestly, I do not feel any worse...if that makes sense.  😉

• Posted

Ah...youre like me..haha..

I was given Sertraline couple weeks ago but too scared to take them 😂

Pathetic, right?? Having read all side effects and about feeling worse first, pit me off completely.

Don't get me wrong, if they help and work, then great.

• Posted

I know the mere fact that we read into everything is the handiwork of our anxiety😂. After reading all the side effects, I thought i was going to take 1 and combust 🤣.

All kidding aside though, it is worth a try.  The side effects do stink, but I already felt crappy.  I am trying to stay positive and stick it out...I do not feel like bouncing around on different AD’s.  If this one doesn’t work...I’ll be done with them!  Good luck!

• Posted

My anxiety was out of control . I also started on lexapro and it took a good 3 months to really start working. I have been on it 6 months now and i stayed at the 5mg. It has really helped mecwith anxiety and panic attacks , which made it easier to deal with other symptoms. Hope that helps. I also was hesitant to try AD after I had a horrible experience with Zoloft.
    • Posted

Hi Cyndi.. .

How was the Zoloft and what side effects did you have?

• Posted

Hi there 

I was on Zoloft for 2 weeks made me a bit jittery diarrhea and hands constantly soaking wet ! I also lost quite a bit of weight . 

I couldn’t handle the side effects so I quit it. I should have given it at least a month but with all these meno symptoms .... was too stressful. 

• Posted

It was the lowest dose I believe 25mg ? and even then I only took 1/2 but boy it was too tough to get on. You may have better luck than me I’ve tried 2 AD so far and didn’t like them.
    • Posted

Hi Cyndi,  that is very promising, thanks!  I will stick it out.  I am def finding that I am not so fixated on my symptoms.  My husband said that that I am more “myself”.  I drove yesterday...which I had not done in a month! Stay well!  😀

• Posted

the times that I am depressed and I cannot stop crying I am taking 1/2 Xanax...I know it is addictive but I I take it occasionally one or two times the month...

• Posted

Oh yes, periods all over...sometimes a couple of months nothing, then...every 21 days.  Heavy, light, whatever.  Never know what to expect.  Warning too, I bled heavily, clots, on mini pill.  Everybody is different though!
  • Posted

Hi Louise. Welcome to the club!

Definitely sounds like perimenopause.

My Symptoms were/Are the same.

My periods were getting closer together and now they are further apart - every 35 days. Symptoms are pretty horrendous. Extreme anxiety, fatigue, insomnia, dizziness, palpitations, you name it, I've had and still get it!

I'm interested to find out how you get on with the mini pill. I'm currently not taking anything, but seriously need to start considering it.

I'm 43 and been perimenopause around a year and a half. My life has completely changed and I want my old self back!

Hope this helps x

• Posted

Yes those symptoms sound like hormones for sure as I’m going through the same thing . The best thing to do is get everything checked MS LYME etc and if everything came back normal then like many other women on here ..... it’s hormones . My lie changed at 41 with the same symptoms and HAD NO CLUE it was hormones as NOBODY talks about it ! 

Good idea to go on a low dose pill as the side effects of Peri can limit or literally stop your life! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.