Early menopause symptoms - advise please

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello ladies

So I have my blood test results today and everything is completely normal.

I have been really ill recently. Mostly off balance, light headed, nausea, completely worn out and anxiety. My monthly cycle has also changed to every 23/24 days. I am sure that my symptoms are my hormones. Did anyone struggle in the early days? Don’t want to keep thinking it’s my hormones if it isn’t. 

I have had all my bloods done to check everything else, mri, ct scan, ecg - all is fine! 

The consulatant has given me the mini pill to help level my hormones.

Was anyone similar very early on. I hear a lot of people talk about symptoms but they seem to be much closer to menopause than I am.

Appreciate any help

Louise 

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sounds like peri to me. During this phase your blood levels will go up and down like a yo-yo.

I'm 43 and started with symptoms 18months ago. Started citalopram (AD), took awhile to settle on them then started HRT last Aug. 3 types later and I feel much better ( still no wonderful). I'm currently on Femoston 2 / 10.

During peri things are changing so much.

• Posted

Hi Zoe,  did your gyno or regular dr prescribe HRT?  Did you have any special circumstances beyond peri?  I am 41 in peri, having terrible symptoms the past year, asked my gyno about HRT, she said I have to wait until menopause.  I completely disagree!  She left the practice anyways, now i have to find another.  I have to see my regular dr next week...was going to ask if he can just have him prescribe it.  Every dr seems to have their own opinions...while we’re the ones suffering!  
    • Posted

Hi Lou

My gp prescribed HRT after we discussed my symptoms, missed periods, sweats, anxious, irritable and emotional. He then did a whole batch of blood test to check for other reasons.

I think I am one of the lucky ones who have a great gp. They even referred me to a nurse led menopause clinic for follow up.

Unfortunately with peri everything is trial and error.

If it is peri and you decide to try HRT Unless you have serious contraindications ( and there are very few to be honest) the better it is for you long term.

• Posted

Thank you Zoe, i will ask my primary dr next week then. I think he is probably my best bet, he is truly trying to help me.  He had referred me to an endocrinologist, I waited 6 months for the appointment...only to be told “I don’t deal with women’s hormones “...nice.  🙄

So glad HRT is working for you...stay well!  😀

• Posted

I absolutely agree with you Lou! I diagnosed a year ago at 42 after e few months struggling with terrible symptoms. My last gyn gave me hrt almost immediately and I found my old self again! We are too young for this nightmare!!! I can work and sleep and function and feel human again!!! smile
    • Posted

Hi Vicky,  that is wonderful that hrt is working for you!  I so badly want to get back to work.  The AD is helping a bit, but around my period especially things are bad.  May I ask what hrt you are on?  Patch? Or pill? 😊

• Posted

Thank God you had a dr who listened to you and got you on the patch. I was going through hell at 41 and thought it was ptsd after a bad accident but now see it’s hormones . It took ages ... years to get back to a sane life but the panic and anxiety never went away. Now at 52 I just got on the patch so glad you didn’t have to go through 10 years of this like I did . 
    • Posted

Hi Lou! I am on tablets cause I don’t like the idea of patches. I am on Femoston 2/10  and feel great. My only concern is about the risks of taking it longterm but the quality of my life is poor without it. A gyn said me yesterday that I can take it only for 5 years...we have a strong argument and I replied that I gonna take them at least until 50 and we will see! Of course I will not visit him again...
    • Posted

Hi Lori! I am not convinced that most of gyns have no idea about how to handle menopause. I found the proper treatment after spending a lot of energy, time and money to find a gyn and an endocrinologist who knows. I am sure that my body cannot survive without estrogen. 
    • Posted

Hi Vicky 

What did the doctors you found do differently ? I mean we don’t have many choices when it comes to this.... we can

try to go through it naturally 

Use the patch or pill

Use BHRT 

I was soooo bad that I tried BHRT and after 2 weeks didn’t do anything . Now on the HRT patch felt some relief but not like I used to be before my world came crashing down . 

Giving it some more time can’t wait to get back to the old me ! 

• Posted

Hi Lori! A few doctors didn’t agree that I need hrt and I had a lot of arguments with them cause I don’t accept that this nightmare is natural!

I will not accept it, I just cannot live that way.

I said to them that there is no way for me to stop taking hrt and I had a bad experience with some of them. 

For me hrt is the only way of coping and they all said that if I don’t change my mind I will get a cancer

• Posted

A while ago I read something about her therapy having side affects that weren't so desirable. The ones that I remember were heart attack and strike but those two scared me away from asking my doctor for it. But I too feel like I definitely need it. When I'm not following every lifestyle change to a t ... hormones feel crazy.. I understand how you feel.

• Posted

Hi Daphner, my endocrinologist said that the risks don’t apply to us, under 60. The benefits from hrt are more than the risks.

I realized that everyone has his own theory regarding hrt and for how long we can take it. I don’t want brittle bones, wrinkles, aches and all these s**t! Sometimes I feel so unlucky because of my early meno, sometimes I feel grateful for hrt and sometimes I feel that I am my old self again! smile

• Posted

I was looking up articles on hormone replacement therapy and I saw a lot of opposing opinions. Some say it's good and some say too risky. I haven't read anything about age 60. Isn't it all over with by then anyway. I read the average age is 52 for menses stopping. I don't think it takes eight years at that point. Wouldn't I be too old to care at that point. I'm in my third month of no cycle right now.

• Posted

Well I'm 53 and am I am a lot closer but I too have had irregular periods starting at 51 some lightheadedness and out if control anxiety. I was determined that was ill and continuously showed at hospitals only to be told my blood work is normal. I'm pretty sure it is your hormones but nonetheless these symptoms are bothersome as hell and sometimes even embarrassing. I've been trying to remain calm and I cleaned up my diet by eliminating junk food and drinking mostly water ... it helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.