Early PCO Development?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone experienced early PCO? I had a PanOptix implanted almost 3 weeks ago. From day 2 up until a few days ago, I was very happy with my results. Distance was 20/20 at my one week follow up and very good intermediate and near vision as well. At night, I saw faint halos around some light sources, but they were not at all bothersome and my night vision seemed much better than it had previously. But a few nights ago, I noticed the halos has turned into more spiderwebs and were much larger and around all lights. My vision in the PanOptix eye also seemed blurry and I could not read signs I could read the previous week. I am 46 and my other eye has only a small cataract. Could PCO have developed that quickly?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Edited

No experience with PCO, but from what I understand it would be unlikely for it to develop this soon. PCO should look like a cloudy vision, not unlike vision with a cataract. The spider webs also as I understand it are a combination of the halos and the flare you can get from the diffraction in the lens that gives the intermediate and closer vision. My thoughts would be to give your eye some time to settle down after the surgery. That could take up to 8 weeks. And even after that it may take some time to adapt to the multifocal vision image(s) from the lenses. And, it would not hurt to call your surgeon and describe what you are seeing. They may want to have a look to see if the lens has settled where it should be in the eye.

• Edited

I read from various places that yes, you can develop it early. As early as 2-week I read.

Unfortunately, I think I'm one of the unlucky ones too.

I had surgery done on left eye on Jan-21 and two weeks later, the right eye on Feb-4

Already, I'm seeing that very light cloudiness on the left eye.

Its very noticeable when you look at a solid black object - first with left-eye only, then with right-eye. The right-eye gives me a deeper, richer black, while the left-eye has a slightly white-haze to it.

Lots of conflicting info on the web. Some sites say 1 in 5 will eventually develop PCO. My ophthalmologist says EVERYONE will eventually get it sooner or later. Big difference!

I trust my ophthalmologist though, as he's very accomplished in both practice and academia. And he's successfully treated me for decades for my particularly complicated eye problems.

• Posted

My personal experience is with one eye using an AcrySof IQ Aspheric monofocal lens 4 months ago. I cannot so far see any evidence of PCO, with fingers well crossed!

From what I have read there seems to be a few factors that are involved. AcrySof claim their material is more resistant to it, based on studies showing a reduced YAG rate for their material. Square sharp edges on the lens seems to reduce risk. Some suggest MF lenses may also make the PCO more visible. And I have seen some claims that the surgical procedure and skill of the surgeon is also a factor.

• Posted

My optometrist said the same thing, that everyone will develop it and he wishes they would just do the YAG on everyone sooner rather than later. Are you getting the YAG? Mine is scheduled for April. Thanks for sharing.

• Edited

yes u can develop it early. i noticed the crisp spider webs becoming smudged starting 17 days post surgery. pco clinically diagnosed 7 days later. it also created a kind of disturbance in the halo which i could clear by blinking in the early pco days. i was 43 then. i could read the signs then but now i cannot.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing. Most of the information I found said it could take months to years to develop, so 3 weeks seemed too soon, but I also found an article that said a PCO could be noticed sooner with a multifocal. It is nice to read about someone who was diagnosed early. I am seeing my optometrist on Monday.

• Posted

My thoughts are that you may be better off getting advice from your cataract surgeon than from an optometrist. Seems to me that at 3 weeks out you must be in the "warranty" period of the surgeon, and she/he should be quite willing to see you.

I have also read that minor amounts of PCO may impact multifocal lenses more than monofocal ones. Still 3 weeks is very quick to develop PCO. It is much more likely to be months or years.

• Posted

I feel like my optometrist has a good relationship with the cataract surgeon and will refer me back if needed.

I agree that 3 weeks seems really early to notice PCO, but since I had a period where I was really happy with the results (very minimal halos after the 1st two days and really good vision even at night), I am wondering if it is possible. My cataract was also on the posterior side of me lens and I am younger than the average cataract patient, which the article also mentioned as possible reasons PCO could develop early, in addition to the mutlifocal lens.

• Edited

my cataract was also posterior subcapsular and the PCO is aggressive for such patients. you must be a younger patient.

• Edited

yea she said she was 46 in the original post

• Posted

My optometrist did refer me back to the surgeon, who agreed it was PCO and was not at all surprised. We scheduled the YAG for April.

• Posted

Yes, the nice thing about cataract surgery is that 46 is considered young. Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you have the YAG? We scheduled mine for April.

• Posted

no i havent had YAG as i want to get the lens exchanged. let us know how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.