Early PCO Development?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone experienced early PCO? I had a PanOptix implanted almost 3 weeks ago. From day 2 up until a few days ago, I was very happy with my results. Distance was 20/20 at my one week follow up and very good intermediate and near vision as well. At night, I saw faint halos around some light sources, but they were not at all bothersome and my night vision seemed much better than it had previously. But a few nights ago, I noticed the halos has turned into more spiderwebs and were much larger and around all lights. My vision in the PanOptix eye also seemed blurry and I could not read signs I could read the previous week. I am 46 and my other eye has only a small cataract. Could PCO have developed that quickly?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Panoptix were a mistake for me. Immediate PCO. Huge halos. Smudgy edges. Flickering from side lighting. Not getting better after 4 months. Somehow I still have astigmatism. The toric design must not be too robust (read that idiot proof) so it's easy for the surgeon to goof up. Correction would involve another surgery. UH UH ! My trust is gone.

My eyes feel tired all the time. I have put formal complaints in to Alcon and the FDA. it's pretty clear already the Alcon doesn't welcome feedback.

• Posted

There are some technical limitations on what a toric IOL can do. Unlike an eyeglass prescription where cylinder for astigmatism comes in 0.25 D steps, a toric IOL comes in 0.75 D steps. As a result you are unlikely to get get an IOL that will precisely correct astigmatism. The other issue is that you depend on the skill of the surgeon to get the IOL inserted at the correct angle. Very small errors in the angle will result in a significant reduction in the accuracy of the correction. And, sometimes the lens can rotate after it is inserted, so another procedure is required to correct the angular position. These issues are not unique to Alcon PanOptix. All torics suffer from the same issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.