NOW or in July 2017 as the first award was till then,,,I'm assuming

If there was an increase it would take affect immediately

does anyone know

Thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi the award for the lower rate takes immediate affect I ha e just had the exact same thing me original award at the higher rate of PIP was up until July 2017 however my review was the same one year early & now they have lowered my rate with immediate affect how on earth does this make sense

• Posted

Hi Emma

With short timed awards (e.g. 2 years) the assessor is basically saying that you required assistance at the time of the award but they expect you to be able to carry out more personal care yourself by the time of the next reassessment.

In your case they have come to a conclusion that you now need less personal care than you did previously and that is reflected in the downgrading to standard daily living.

I'm not saying they are right I'm just giving you an explanation to how the system works.

This all goes back to DLA where claimants would receive 'indefinite' awards which practically meant a lifetime award. The Con/Dem Government in 2012 changed this because they believe that with improvements in medical care many disabled people are now making remarkable recoveries.

Hmmmmmmm

• Posted

Hey Anthony have you got a link as to which DWP office I go to to get some of this space age medical care that makes for a remarkable recovery?? LOL 
    • Posted

Lol Les check your inbox! Well if you can do that you must be fit as a fiddle using DWP guidelines eek

• Posted

Hi,

It doesn't make sense,because it is the dwp. Their like the tax department, anything beneficial happens tomorrow , anything detrimental happens today.

Their argument would be that you must have improved, so you should have told them directly without them finding out for themselves with your new assessment.

Let's hope they don't try to do you and ask for some benefits back.

Remember who your dealing with

Mike.

• Posted

It doesn't make sense,because it is the dwp.......

?Did the DWP ever make any sense? - by my reckoning I've had 21 years of nothing but aggravation, bulls**t and complete utter nonsense from them?

• Posted

Hi,

Les, it is shameful how you have been treat. I know Anthony has explained things from his experience with the system but it seems to come down to the fact that no one should expect to be disabled for life.

I remember a documentary from years back. There was a man who was no more than a head on a box, the box obviously supporting his digestive system etc.

Today he would be reassessed on the principle that modern science could provide a robotic body for him. He would probably be refused a home visit because

someone could carry him to an assessment centre.A life is not seen as important these days, routine murders by thugs constant civil unrest and countries at war. Even natural disasters: 50,000 killed here , 150,000 killed there, it's reported by the media with as much emotion as the local news reports.

Life is cheap and the dwp under guidance from above, show the same amount of compassion.

Mike.

• Posted

You are right.

I used to joke a few years back about how this country was being run. If it was a business and you had staff being paid but were not producing very much it wouldn't be long before they were sent into the long grass as being unprofitable.

?Compare that to those over 65. Most are retired getting  over 50% of the total welfare budget as a State Pension. You are more likely to be claiming additional welfare payments and subsidies such as winter fuel allowance & cold weather payments. Because of age you are more likely to be needing the support of the NHS a lot more. Someone is paying for your free prescriptions and bus pass.

?You no longer contribute much towards the country and on balance are taking more out than you are putting in.

?Yes on balance 'they' should be put in the long grass.

?A simple solution - the government pay for a grave plot, a decent coffin and say £3000 towards a half decent funeral.

?All you have to do in exchange for all of that is to pop along to the Post Office and collect a small brown paper package. In there you will find a glass and a bottle of liquid. Get yourself into bed, pour out the liquid into the glass, say goodnight to the world and take your last drink. 

Just think how much money could be saved!!!

?Sometimes that idea is appealing.

• Posted

Hi les,,

A few years ago I was chatting to my grandson about maths, he was at school then.

I asked him to work something out for me before our next meet.

Taking £300, as a starting point, of dla benefits, this is how I might spend it.

£30 for petrol what percentage goes to tax. £60 to Tesco for food etc. How much tax, £30 eating out in a pub+drinks what percentage in tax, ££20 on cigarettes-what tax, £20 lottery tickets - tax?? £140 council tax.

He gave me his best calculations, quite pleased with his efforts, until I pointed out he had only allowed for direct taxation.

He now needed to calculate taxes from wages and profits from the petrol station, the tobacconist, the lottery seller, Tesco stores, the public house, local council wages. It then hit him, taxation on your money never stops.

So I would say that even when benefits are your only income and you no longer pay page you still keep giving your money back to the treasury.

Mike.

• Posted

In that simplistic way you are right.

But take VAT for a start. If you sell me something to me for £50 you would have to add another £10 of VAT to it making a total cost to me of £60.

?Now you are holding £10 that belongs to the Treasury.

?However you paid £40 + VAT - £48 for it.

?You are holding my £10 of VAT but you paid out £8 of VAT, so you now owe £2 of my £10 to the Treasury.

You then go and buy a replacement to sell to someone else costing another £40 + VAT - £48.

?You are holding my £2 but you have paid out another £8 of VAT. This means that by taking one from the other the Treasury owes you £6.

You get a payment from the Treasury for £6

?So who/where has the VAT that I paid of £10 gone? In that example it has cost the government £6 and the seller is back to where he started from  with another article to sell to someone else.

• Posted

Hi Les

My understanding is VAT is only applied at the point of sale whether its goods or services. I’m pretty sure no VAT is due on wholesale prices it is only the consumer who is charged VAT

• Posted

Hi Mike

Probably you shouldn’t have used DLA as an example as that money should be used to cover the extra cost of disability not your everyday expenses. All disability aids are VAT free as is care services.

I think is fair to add another variable to your equation as most employees in retail are on the National Minimum Wage and a good percentage would pay no tax as their income is too low and indeed many would also receive Tax Credits which the exact opposite to taxation. If your Grandson had managed to include that into his calculations then can I suggest you apply for a place at Cambridge or Oxford when he is old enough?

• Posted

Not true at all. VAT is charged to the customer at the prevailing rate at the point of sale.

That goes for any retail transactions as it does for purchases from a wholesaler.

?I will admit that at a wholesaler (Bookers for example) all of the prices on the shelves are net of VAT. The VAT element is added at the point of purchase.

That is why on a VAT return some companies reclaim the difference from the government and others pay it over.

?In my example it was to demonstrate that the VAT paid by a customer does not always get passed over to the government. VAT is made up of both Input Tax and Output Tax.

?However when we start talking about 'Duty' say on tobacco, fuel etc that is a totally different thing.

• Posted

At the end of the day any good economist that is running a country normally tries to set a budget that is neutral - what goes out matches what comes in. In reality that is a very difficult thing to achieve mainly because the economy is so variable from day to day.

?My point was that there are sectors of society, a large proportion are the retired receiving the State Pension, that will always take out more than they pay in on a day to day basis. You also have to remember that the State Pension accounts for over a half of all spending of the welfare budget. Then there are the single mums, the young who don't work, those with an extra large family and those that earn a low wage.

?To support all of them, are the ones paying tax in it's various forms of direct and indirect and spending their money (no point saving it as that doesn't help the economy).

?Simply put the 'few' support the majority.

• Posted

Hi les,

Hang on, you say I'm being simplistic. Next you'll be citing the 4 restraunters with the tip.

All I'm saying is most of what we buy is heavily taxed so the money they give us, a lot goes back into the pot.

Mike.

• Posted

All I'm saying is most of what we buy is heavily taxed so the money they give us, a lot goes back into the pot.

?But it doesn't - a large amount stays with the businesses. I could cite you some very large corporations as well as small businesses that make the 'jam' out of retaining indirect taxes. It never goes near the government - it ends up in dividends to the shareholders and the back pockets of the small business owners.

VAT is a clever tool that is used every day to support businesses. How many businesses would you imagine that every three months the Treasury sends them a payment?

?Legally manipulating invoicing is as important as is making sure that there is stock to sell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.