Ectopic beats when I’m at rest and at excersise

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello there my name is Alex I’m a 20 year old female fairly slim do not do any drugs smoke or drink and I do not drink caffeine. Over the past few months I’ve been experiencing a lo I ectopic beats. I do notice them both at rest and during excersise. I must admit they feel really scary. They feel like a big forceful thud and if like someone snatched my breath for a quick second. Do have a lot of anxiety and I am very scared for my heart. But they just happen so frequently 😕 I’ve had 4 heart echoes this year. My last echoe was in mid may of this year. It was normal. But yet I feel like my ectopics have increased 😢. Is it possible that something has changed in my echo within the last few months since it was done ? Please someone help I’m so terrified. They can happen out of the blue or they can happen while I’m doing something. Please someone that experiences the same thing ? 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

While ectopic beats are not pleasant every doctor will tell you that they are not life threatening and are not a sign of heart disease.

• Posted

Can you elaborate on these ectopic heart beats? Do you feel a strong heart beat in your throat? 
    • Posted

Oh okay, I have that same problem to. I am a 19 year old female. I am close to your age, and for some reason my ectopic beats have increased lately, but I do not experience any strong ones now. This is because I avoid caffeine at all costs. I don’t even touch soda anymore what so ever. Avoid energy drinks and any caffeine. I think I have been having them daily because I have been stressed due to school finals coming up, but they are small ones that occur and I barely feel them compare to the ones I would have when I drank soda. Don’t worry you are not alone, I felt like I was the only one who felt these and it did worry me a lot, but as long as they are not life threatening just ignore them like I do. Don’t let it over power your life. If you can’t do anything about it, then just don’t worry it. That’s what I go by to get over these horrible ectopic beats. If you need anyone to talk to, you can talk to me. I totally 100% understand what you are going through because I have the same exact problem. 
  • Posted

Alex,

I too have been suffering with ectopic beats. Some are gentle, some are violent thuds that can shake you to the core. I have had an echo, stress scan and recently went into hospital for an Ablation, with an aim to cure the ectopic.

Like you I get them at rest and during exercise. I can't walk around a supermarket without my chest kicking off. I also suffer with a pause after a session of ectopic so. This is where the heart briefly stops/pauses then fires up again. When this happens I often go light headed and feel weak or faint.

Because of the regularity and pauses, the Ablation became an option. It hasn't worked for me just yet, whilst awake on th table during the procedure, the cardiologist detected 2 different ectopic beats from different areas of the heart. This is what they thing is causing the heart to go out of time and pause, before resetting/starting again.

I've been assured that th ectopics and pauses are not life threatening, but I can tell you they are heard to live with when you suffer lots. Anxiety can get a grip, so please be mindful and try to relax. I do this by taking long deep slow breaths, it works for me.

I have more tests to come, a doctors treadmill stress test to monitor and see the ectopics as they happen under exercise.

I'm also having a 5 day monitor fitted to record exactly what is kicking off 24 hours a day over a full 5 day period.

I'm 52 , always active until 15 months ago when this started. 

If if you are getting lots of ectopics, you need to request a 24/48 hour monitor to record them. A cardiologist is then able to reccomend treatments or even drugs. Beta blockers are often prescribed and work for a lot of people. They didn't work for me but may for you.

Don't st and suffer, there are options available to help you. Stay off Coke or Pepsi as well as Tea/ Coffee Cafine. 

Good luck to you.

Matt

• Posted

How long were your pauses? Mine were 3.5 seconds and with my heart rate usually in the 40's so they said I needed a pacemaker.

The worst ectopic since was when just getting ready for bed and it was like a thunderclap in my chest and I collapsed on to the bed. 

• Posted

Thank u a lot this is what exactly happens to me. I can’t go anywhere or to a store or something because I experience them. They are so scary 😢 I just went to my drs this morning and he said I shouldn’t worry that my echos and other test are normal. But that he was going to refer me to a cardiologist again. I did mention to my dr that I was terrified about ventricular tachycardia and he said that I shouldn’t worry about that dangerous arrhythmia. Is he right ? 

• Posted

I have two BP monitors the old one beeps out your heart rate as it takes it. It sounds weird with slow, slow, quick, quick, slow and then a pause, I asked my GP why he does not have one like that and he said it would frighten the patients. To me it is better than a flashing heart symbol at the end of the reading. 
    • Posted

No no no. That would make me literally faint lol. I’m terrified of monitors literally lol. The drs and nurses have to continuallasy big me to take me BP when I go in lol
    • Posted

So aren’t these ectopic beats we expirence life threatening to us ? 
    • Posted

No, even the worse condition atrial fibrillation is not unless it causes blood clots to form. I have read of people having more than 20;000 ectopics a day. Not sure how long I had them before I bought my first BP monitor in 2001.

Many people actually find that they stop during exercise or excitement. I went to the races one day when they were quite bad and it was an exiting photo finish in the first race that took a long time for the result to be decided. When my selection won at a big price I suddenly realised that they had stopped.

• Posted

I thought ventricular tachycardia was the worse condition? not atrial fibrillation.  and for me I feel them both during activities and rest. Which are quite worrisome and scary. I’ve had 4 heart echoes this year and they were all normal. 
    • Posted

You must believe the evidence that they are normal. They can't treat what they cannot see evidence of.

There must be another reason for your heart rate.

• Posted

So I shouldn’t be concerned about my fast heart rate and ectopic beats ? 
    • Posted

Certainly not the ectopics and the fast rate may be down to worry/anxiety about the ectopics.

• Posted

I can relate. I randomly get flutters/skip and it's a scary feeling. I have had EKGS, echo, heart monitor, and chest xrays. Doctors still can't seem to find the issue. I first noticed them at about 15 years old. I'm 25 now, and it still happens, but randomly. 

Has anyone had a nuclear treadmill stress test? If so, how was it? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.